Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2021, 05:36 AM   #106
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Ah... and you believe that is a very clever question because the K-S2 was introduced in 2015.

You need to be precise, your question should be: How many K-S2's were produced before December 2015!
That is almost 2016! The question about how many K-70's is just misleading and of no use!
Everybody knows when it hit the market so why ask that question?

The answer: Most K-S2's have been produced before Dec. 2015

Mix-up (because 2 different bodies) and strange to me to ask questions and then to answer them right away...
It's no question then anymore.

Likelyhood with the K-S2: Good chance... sadly!
K-70: little chance... luckily, but it does happen.

Wrong! The OP asked:

Two questions and quite a few answers, but those two answer are those based on verified facts:
1. It is exactly the same type of aperture/solenoid mechanism except one tiny screw.
This mechanism was used already for repair in 2014 for repair of the K30

2. The K-70 is much less prone to fail for solenoid-failure but it does happen and has happened.
it's really a simple question Photogem: Is the OP's K-70 likely to fail due to the aperture block.

Rather than arguing just to be "right" how about directly answering the concern the OP expressed instead of talking about old abandoned models he had no interest in. I did. IMO not even a 2015 KS2 is more likely than not going to suffer aperture block failure. I don't believe there's even a "good chance of it" unless that doesn't mean what some of us would take it to mean (What failure percentage are you claiming?). I don't think you disagree with me either so what exactly are you arguing about?

Last edited by gatorguy; 02-19-2021 at 06:22 AM.
02-19-2021, 11:33 PM   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
It's really a simple question Photogem:
Is the OP's K-70 likely to fail due to the aperture block?

But you modify the case a bit:
That is now your (new) question!

As you know but now neglect: The OP asked 2 questions:
QuoteOriginally posted by littlemoose Quote
1. Does anyone know if the K-70 has the same type of aperture/solenoid mechanism as the k-50, K-30
2. and is prone to failure ?
The two questions of the OP had been answered in detail!

But you brought in the K-S2, not me:
I've had three K-S2's (in fact it may have been four) and two K70's with nary a stutter with any of them. Does aperture block failurehappen? Of course it does, and not only with Pentax cameras. Is it alikelihood? Of course not.
1. You HAD 3 or 4 K-S2's. But you don't have them anymore, so you won't know about their future. Right?

You have not answered my previous question:
- Which other than Pentax cameras do happen to have aperture block failure?
- Which other cameras use that technology?
- Evidence!

Please answer those questions.

Rather than arguing just to be "right" howabout directly answering the concern the OP expressed...
It's not about to be "right".

In the year 2018 the OP asked his question.

We are now in the year 2021 and you brought up something different.

It was you who wrote about:
..... instead of talking about old abandoned models.....
i.e. the K-S2, not me!
....he had no interest in.
Yes, but that was in 2018, and you:
I did
IMOnot even a 2015 KS2 is more likely than not going to suffer aperture blockfailure.
As you say, it's your opinion.

I don't believe there's even a "good chance of it"
Believe won't help there, I base my statements on experience, i.e. evidence.

Does aperture block failure happen? Of course it does...
Is it a likelihood? Of course not."
K-S2: A good possibility: The reason I will explain later on
K-7o no, not likely, maybe 2% or less!

That is 100% right, it is not probable (akalikely) my KS2's and K70's were or are going to fail due to the aperture block.
But how do you KNOW this?
Your experience is now based 2 x K70's. Your K-S2's are gone if I got that right.

Based on all repairs I did and all failures I have seen and the fact (!) that the curve of K-S1's and K-S2's being offered on eBay having that very problem is going up quite steep I argue that K-S2's prior Dec. 2015 are as much prone to failure as the K50 and K30 were.

So take it that I answer now towards your assumptions and not the question of the OP brought up in 2018 which was answered and he then purchased a K70! I never spoke against the K70, quite the opposite!

Most K-S2's have been manufactured prior Dec. 2015 and their solenoid (and thus diaphragm-control-unit) is exactly the same one as in the K30/50/500. And EVIDENCE shows that more and more fail.

....unless that doesn't mean what some of us would take it to mean (What failure percentage are you claiming?). I don't think you disagree with me either so what exactly are you arguing about?
Now you give the answer and then ask the question?

I disagree about the K-S2 but not the K70.

I am the one who argues with those who try to push the K-70 into the same problematic region of those bodies which did have a serious problem.

But I tend to argue as well with those who do the opposite and ignore and put down those who have encountered this very problem.
Or bring in arguments based on strange claims such as "resistor-chips", chips which don't exist.

I am not on the side of some party but on the side of verified facts.

Last edited by photogem; 02-20-2021 at 02:30 AM.
02-23-2021, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #108
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
But you modify the case a bit:
That is now your (new) question!

As you know but now neglect: The OP asked 2 questions:

The two questions of the OP had been answered in detail!

But you brought in the K-S2, not me:

1. You HAD 3 or 4 K-S2's. But you don't have them anymore, so you won't know about their future. Right?

You have not answered my previous question:
- Which other than Pentax cameras do happen to have aperture block failure?
- Which other cameras use that technology?
- Evidence!

Please answer those questions.

It's not about to be "right".

In the year 2018 the OP asked his question.

We are now in the year 2021 and you brought up something different.

It was you who wrote about:

i.e. the K-S2, not me!

Yes, but that was in 2018, and you:

As you say, it's your opinion.

Believe won't help there, I base my statements on experience, i.e. evidence.

K-S2: A good possibility: The reason I will explain later on
K-7o no, not likely, maybe 2% or less!

But how do you KNOW this?
Your experience is now based 2 x K70's. Your K-S2's are gone if I got that right.

Based on all repairs I did and all failures I have seen and the fact (!) that the curve of K-S1's and K-S2's being offered on eBay having that very problem is going up quite steep I argue that K-S2's prior Dec. 2015 are as much prone to failure as the K50 and K30 were.

So take it that I answer now towards your assumptions and not the question of the OP brought up in 2018 which was answered and he then purchased a K70! I never spoke against the K70, quite the opposite!

Most K-S2's have been manufactured prior Dec. 2015 and their solenoid (and thus diaphragm-control-unit) is exactly the same one as in the K30/50/500. And EVIDENCE shows that more and more fail.

Now you give the answer and then ask the question?

I disagree about the K-S2 but not the K70.

I am the one who argues with those who try to push the K-70 into the same problematic region of those bodies which did have a serious problem.

But I tend to argue as well with those who do the opposite and ignore and put down those who have encountered this very problem.
Or bring in arguments based on strange claims such as "resistor-chips", chips which don't exist.

I am not on the side of some party but on the side of verified facts.
Hi,

just had my K70 fail with "Aperture control failure" and repaired by CR Kennedy in Australia. Cost $A188, returned to me a small green coloured solenoid . K70 purchased in 2018, so I think the K70 may be afflicted as per previous models.

Greg
02-23-2021, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Greg1956 Quote
Hi,

just had my K70 fail with "Aperture control failure" and repaired by CR Kennedy in Australia. Cost $A188, returned to me a small green coloured solenoid . K70 purchased in 2018, so I think the K70 may be afflicted as per previous models.
Well, the price was pretty good, about 150 US$. Others pay US$ 250 or even US$ 300 in the Germany or Switzerland

Also they didn't invent some other parts that need to be replaced such as non-existing resistor-chips!

---------- Post added 02-23-21 at 09:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Greg1956 Quote
Hi,

Well, the price was pretty good, about 150 US$. Others pay US$ 250 or even US$ 300 in the Germany or Switzerland

Also they didn't invent some other parts that need to be replaced such as non-existing resistor-chips!