Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
10-11-2018, 05:46 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K-70. No Problems. How about you?

Bought my K-70 early January of this year. Just under 7,500 shutter clicks so far. Anybody else NOT having aperture block problems? Seeing as there is a thread to report aperture problems it only seems fair to have a thread for people to share their reasons why they are happy with their K-70. Here are a few of mine.

Bang for your buck. I find it amazing that Pentax could cram all that into a DSLR for the price. Much of what is available I haven't even explored yet.

The flippy screen. Didn't think I'd like it let alone need it. But for close to the ground macro shots? My 60 yr old back says thank you K-70!

Build quality. The K-70 may not have a magnesium alloy frame like the K-3 or KP but it still feels solid. I broke my K-3. The feel of the K-70 is not that far behind.

I could delve into the minutia of what I like about my K-70. But I would bore both you and I.

I realize there is the possibility of my K-70 going belly up with aperture block failure sometime in the future but temper that thought with the knowledge that many electronic gadgets fail for any number of reasons. Hell, I spent almost $70.00 on a high end Mr. Coffee that didn't last 6 months.

As of today I am a proud K-70 owner. Any others out there?

Last edited by DW58; 10-11-2018 at 06:36 PM.
10-11-2018, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
My K-70 and 55-300 PLM @ 63mm going 65 mph out the truck window near Monroe Oregon.

10-12-2018, 03:21 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I love mine. Lots of great features for the dollar.

Great sensor, excellent upgrade of the IBIS from my K50! Lots of drive modes, PixelShift, WiFi, articulating screen.

Like I said, excellent camera.
10-12-2018, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So far-so good with my K-70. I occasionally have an underexposed shot but I blame it on the idiot using the camera. I can understand the process of not thinking the versatile monitor screen was important and then changing you mind. What I cannot understand is spending a lot for a Mr. Coffee. The 10 buck ones make coffee and you can't tell the difference.

10-12-2018, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
So far-so good with my K-70. I occasionally have an underexposed shot but I blame it on the idiot using the camera. I can understand the process of not thinking the versatile monitor screen was important and then changing you mind. What I cannot understand is spending a lot for a Mr. Coffee. The 10 buck ones make coffee and you can't tell the difference.
Congratulations on your $10.00 coffee maker. In my 40+ years of buying them have never seen such a cheap one for sale. Two features I insist my coffee maker has is to be able to set it to turn on by itself in the morning and have an auto shut off. Have to spend at least $18.00 around here for one like that.
10-12-2018, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use my K-70(and K-30) all the time; it's my constant companion. No aperture problems so far. I REALLY like Pixel shift, not to mention all the other modes. I'm finally getting into RAW, and so far the results are truly amazing.
10-12-2018, 11:26 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
I love mine. Lots of great features for the dollar.

Great sensor, excellent upgrade of the IBIS from my K50! Lots of drive modes, PixelShift, WiFi, articulating screen.

Like I said, excellent camera.
I moved up from a K-50 as well. No aperture block problems with my K-50 either.

QuoteOriginally posted by joelbolden Quote
I use my K-70(and K-30) all the time; it's my constant companion. No aperture problems so far. I REALLY like Pixel shift, not to mention all the other modes. I'm finally getting into RAW, and so far the results are truly amazing.
Haven't used pixel shift yet. Going to have to give it a try.

10-12-2018, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #8

Photos: Albums
Traded in my K-S2 for the K-70, such a good decision, such good value for money. Poor old K-3ii not being used so much because the image quality on the K-70 is better at high iso and it's a lighter camera to lug around.

The K-70 works well with the DA 16-85, but when travelling light, a couple of DA Limiteds go nicely with it.

Yea, the K-70 rocks!
10-12-2018, 05:12 PM   #9

I have a K50 and have had zero issues with anything. I love my camera!
10-13-2018, 08:49 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ronniemac Quote
Traded in my K-S2 for the K-70, such a good decision, such good value for money. Poor old K-3ii not being used so much because the image quality on the K-70 is better at high iso and it's a lighter camera to lug around.

The K-70 works well with the DA 16-85, but when travelling light, a couple of DA Limiteds go nicely with it.

Yea, the K-70 rocks!
I drowned my K-3 pushing the limits of it's WR. Didn't end well. Went back to using my K-50 while waiting for the successor to the K-3ii to be announced. When that didn't happen I bought a K-70. Almost went for the KP but at the time the K-70 was almost half the price. I also thought that when the next APS-C "flagship" hit the shelves it might not be THAT much different than the KP. But there might be enough of a difference to make me wish I had waited. Anyway, I ended up with the K-70 and have no regrets. So far.
I completely agree with you. The K-70 rocks.
10-15-2018, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #11
Staff Writer

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
As of today I am a proud K-70 owner. Any others out there?
Yup. Got mine about 18 months ago. Shot thousands of pix - did I mention the first grandchild? The IQ is staggering. Have an Epson SureColor 800; make 17x22 prints from K-70 shots that you can hang in a gallery.

Have tons of Pentax glass, but mostly I keep the FA 77 Limited on the K-70, and the DA 15 Limited in a pocket, and I couldn't be happier!

Cjf
10-21-2018, 11:20 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I moved up from a K-50 as well. No aperture block problems with my K-50 either.
It is wonderful that you haven't had problems with either camera; others haven't been that lucky. How long have you had each camera?
10-21-2018, 01:53 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It is wonderful that you haven't had problems with either camera; others haven't been that lucky. How long have you had each camera?
Bought the K-50 in December of 2015 and the K-70 only last January 1st. As far as I can tell it's a relatively small number that haven't been as lucky. I don't have the data and really don't care enough to research it but I'd guess that compared to the total number of K-50's and K-70's sold world wide, the percentage of the ones that have bit the dust is kind of small. Of course that doesn't mean squat to the people that have had their cameras fail. I think it was a bad business decision for Ricoh or Hoya or whoever not to step up to the plate and make it right once this problem became known. I had not even heard about aperture block failure when I bought my K-50. But in the grand scheme of things, for me anyway, this is more like a gnat buzzing around my head than it is being diagnosed with cancer. If one or both of my cameras fail I will NOT be happy. But if that happens I'll just use my 55-300 PLM while I wait for the next APS-C to hit the shelves.

I started this thread because I thought it'd be nice to hear from people like me that have had no problem with their K-70. It's human nature to complain when something in your life goes wrong. But most people do not shout from the roof tops about their life running smoothly. When I was working at a photo lab in Seattle in 1988 my boss sent me to a seminar about the ins and outs of running a business. ANY business. One of the things I took away from that seminar was the statement that if you send a customer away happy they'll probably tell one, two, maybe three other people. But if the customer walks away feeling cheated they will tell everybody they know and then some.

What a shame it is we don't live in a perfect world.
10-21-2018, 02:26 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cjfeola Quote
Yup. Got mine about 18 months ago. Shot thousands of pix - did I mention the first grandchild? The IQ is staggering. Have an Epson SureColor 800; make 17x22 prints from K-70 shots that you can hang in a gallery.

Have tons of Pentax glass, but mostly I keep the FA 77 Limited on the K-70, and the DA 15 Limited in a pocket, and I couldn't be happier!

Cjf
WOW! Have not tried printing a 17x22. Only 8x10's. Sounds like you're ANOTHER satisfied K-70 owner. There are a lot of us out there. Thanks for your input.
10-21-2018, 02:38 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Bought the K-50 in December of 2015 and the K-70 only last January 1st. As far as I can tell it's a relatively small number that haven't been as lucky. I don't have the data and really don't care enough to research it but I'd guess that compared to the total number of K-50's and K-70's sold world wide, the percentage of the ones that have bit the dust is kind of small. Of course that doesn't mean squat to the people that have had their cameras fail. I think it was a bad business decision for Ricoh or Hoya or whoever not to step up to the plate and make it right once this problem became known. I had not even heard about aperture block failure when I bought my K-50. But in the grand scheme of things, for me anyway, this is more like a gnat buzzing around my head than it is being diagnosed with cancer. If one or both of my cameras fail I will NOT be happy. But if that happens I'll just use my 55-300 PLM while I wait for the next APS-C to hit the shelves.

I started this thread because I thought it'd be nice to hear from people like me that have had no problem with their K-70. It's human nature to complain when something in your life goes wrong. But most people do not shout from the roof tops about their life running smoothly. When I was working at a photo lab in Seattle in 1988 my boss sent me to a seminar about the ins and outs of running a business. ANY business. One of the things I took away from that seminar was the statement that if you send a customer away happy they'll probably tell one, two, maybe three other people. But if the customer walks away feeling cheated they will tell everybody they know and then some.

What a shame it is we don't live in a perfect world.
I asked because my K-30 worked perfectly until May of this year ..... when I had been using it for three years. Your K-50 isn't quite that old, and your K-70 is nowhere near that old. Since I believe chronological age is more of an issue than shutter count is - even your K-50 could still have these issues. Like you, I was unaware of this problem when I purchased my K-30; perhaps this issue is why KEH sold the camera to me {shutter count = 3} for $250. My K-30 is already "a success" for me in my mind; right now, the inconvenience of a few dark frames each day is something I can deal with, and I'm willing to use my Q-7 - or switch to a aperture ring equipped lens - when I need to be sure the camera will work first thing in the morning, but when talking to others about any K-n0 camera, this issue is at the back of my mind. I am hoping surveys will show that the K-70 typically ages better than the recent cameras in that line have.

In a perfect world, no one would have to be aware of an issue like this - they could trust that most cameras will last five or six years with little likelihood of early death or need for the few KAF4 lenses out there. The reason for collecting failure stories is to determine whether this issue continues to haunt the K-n0 line or whether it is just as reliable "as any consumer-level camera is".

Last edited by reh321; 10-21-2018 at 03:11 PM.