Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2018, 11:41 AM   #1

Dark images when using viewfinder

Hello Everyone,

New member here and a novice in this world of SLR.
So, It seems I have an issue that may not be so new.
I have been looking through the forum on this issue and seems big on the K30s and 50s.
I have a K70 and seems to be having this issue. I hadn't used the camera for a few months.
Husband bought me a new lense for christmas and when testing it out, I noticed the images were very dark. Testing in bright light outside, images were still on the dark side.
I placed the kit lense back on the body and is doing the same thing with the dark images. Even with flash on.
I checked out taking a photo with live view and the image looks more normal for lighting.
In using the viewfinder, I had tried different settings and going on the higher iso like 25000 the image will have the level of brightness it normally. The iris appears to be opening/closing fine.
I had checked the card for the images and all appear to have the normal settings, just dark. Appears this issue may have happened a little prior to the new lense.

So is it me or the camera that gets a shot in the foot?
Idea, suggestions I can do to check? Remember novice here and words may need to be dumbed down for me.
Thank you.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
12-25-2018, 11:56 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
at a glance, this sounds like aperture block failure - you may want to check your warranty status...
12-25-2018, 12:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to bring bad news on Christmas day, but your camera may be in need of repair. The electromagnet that operates the aperture may be failing. There may be another cause to your problem but this is a likely explanation.

This thread explains the problem.

K-70 Underexposed Photo Reports - PentaxForums.com
12-25-2018, 03:44 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Possibly unrelated but it also looks like you're in spot metering mode, which may lead to unexpected exposures if the lighting in the scene is uneven.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-25-2018, 07:20 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
Merry Christmas ShadowCat, I am not sure what mode you were using, but there is clearly that noise is really full of these pictures. As you mentioned that iso was at 25000. It would happen on my Kp too even K1. You could try to use AV/M mode to control your ios, then make sure your aperture, then check your shutter is upper than the save shutter. Another suggestion for you is that you could use the built-in flash if it is possible, or to buy a small external flash.
12-26-2018, 05:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ShadowCat Quote
Hello Everyone,

New member here and a novice in this world of SLR.
So, It seems I have an issue that may not be so new.
I have been looking through the forum on this issue and seems big on the K30s and 50s.
I have a K70 and seems to be having this issue. I hadn't used the camera for a few months.
Husband bought me a new lense for christmas and when testing it out, I noticed the images were very dark. Testing in bright light outside, images were still on the dark side.
I placed the kit lense back on the body and is doing the same thing with the dark images. Even with flash on.
I checked out taking a photo with live view and the image looks more normal for lighting.
In using the viewfinder, I had tried different settings and going on the higher iso like 25000 the image will have the level of brightness it normally. The iris appears to be opening/closing fine.
I had checked the card for the images and all appear to have the normal settings, just dark. Appears this issue may have happened a little prior to the new lense.

So is it me or the camera that gets a shot in the foot?
Idea, suggestions I can do to check? Remember novice here and words may need to be dumbed down for me.
Thank you.
Here is the best way to test for an aperture control issue:
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Diagnostic is to set to M mode with aperture set wide open with a 1s shutter speed, AF off. Observe the lens from the front while pressing the shutter button. If the lens stops down, there is an aperture control problem. Whether it is the aperture control block requires a more intensive diagnostic; fault may be in the camera electronics.