Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2018, 10:15 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K70 Auto ISO Parameter?

I love my K70 but it's the nit-picky things that irritate me. One such thing is the apparent lack of an "Auto ISO Parameter" ("Fastest/Normal/Slowest") setting, such as found on many older Pentax bodies. I've been through the menus several times looking for it... has it been renamed, am I going blind, or does this functionality simply not exist on this body?

12-26-2018, 10:28 AM   #2
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you're thinking what they called it on older cameras, today they call it Auto ISO? Am I on the right track to what you want to do? Change ISO or is it something else your looking for?

Here's a thread from 2012 about a K-5, I'm not sure if it's the same in a K-70.but it doesn't hurt to read it.

Program Line / Auto ISO Parameters guide? - PentaxForums.com
12-26-2018, 10:28 AM   #3

Original Poster
Another "nit pick" is that I am apparently unable to change the format of folder naming to "date - folder#" instead of "folder# - date".
12-26-2018, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #4
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Under that menu, highlight the date, use your four way controller, press it, to the right, it should show you date or Pentax, highlight Pentax. Then press OK.

12-26-2018, 10:39 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I think you're thinking what they called it on older cameras, today they call it Auto ISO? Am I on the right track to what you want to do? Change ISO or is it something else your looking for?

Here's a thread from 2012 about a K-5, I'm not sure if it's the same in a K-70.but it doesn't hurt to read it.

Program Line / Auto ISO Parameters guide? - PentaxForums.com
Yeah, it used to be found on page 3 of the settings menu on the K-5. Similarly on some of the other bodies. The parameter weights the Auto ISO either in favor of a fast shutter speed... it will prioritize shutter speed over ISO in AV mode on "Fast" or favor a low ISO over a fast shutter speed on "Slow". This is (was) also of use shooting with older glass in "M"anual mode, where the aperture ring takes the place of e-dial control that would be used in "AV"; and incidentally, the source of my nitpick (using manual glass).

- Slow
- Standard
- Fast
Slow increases the sensitivity as little as possible; Fast does the opposite"

Pentax K-5 Review - Modes & Menus
12-26-2018, 10:41 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The auto iso program line (as well as the program line in general) are two parameters which are reserved for Pentax's higher-end models (such as the KP, K-3, and K-1).

I do believe it's possible to change your folder names, though- look under the fourth tab of the wrench menu.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-26-2018, 10:43 AM   #7
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess you'll have to wait on some one with a newer camera than the K-5. I don't know if even my K-50 has that option, I never looked to see if it did. I shoot manual, so only set the shutter speeds myself. Perhaps someone else will be along shortly to help you. I'm sure they will be. We have a lot of knowledgeable members here.

And there he is.

I forgot one step in telling him where to find the change date to Pentax. oops.
12-26-2018, 10:50 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Under that menu, highlight the date, use your four way controller, press it, to the right, it should show you date or Pentax, highlight Pentax. Then press OK.
Thanks, but all that does is change the format from "Folder# - Date" to "Folder# - Pentx". I'd like to be able to format new folders as "Date - Folder#".

---------- Post added 12-26-18 at 12:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The auto iso program line (as well as the program line in general) are two parameters which are reserved for Pentax's higher-end models (such as the KP, K-3, and K-1).
Actually it is also available on the K-5, K-7, and I suspect the K2 models as well. Full program line (including the "MTF" setting that I sorely miss) was available all the way back to my old K10D.

Subtracting features that were present on virtually all the preceding models to help differentiate the price/"value" points between the K-70 and the KP was a nasty decision on behalf of Ricoh's marketing management.

12-26-2018, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Perhaps you should check the specifications of a camera before you buy it, rather than describe the marketing dept as making "a nasty decision"? As has been explained, the distinction is between the upper tier ("commonly called flagship") and lower tier models over the years. Its not just about removing features to annoy you, or save money necessarily.... the cameras are designed and targeted at different types of users with different needs in terms of sophistications and fine tunings.

The K70 now almost classes as "entry level" in the scheme of things (amazing yes considering what it offers), but those program line details and fine tunings are one sophistication too far for its class of camera, and the level of depth that the expected user is likely to need (from the makers point of view). Does your camera have "Scene modes" ? Maybe yes, because they could help out those users with the typical level of experience the maker expects. My camera doesn't have scene modes (Its a K7) because the designer expected the typical user to have more knowledge and to take active control over the exposure settings ... but the K7 and all later descendants do have the Program lines because the typical users are expected to be aware of the impact of fine tuning the automated decisions the camera can make.
12-26-2018, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oktyabr Quote
Thanks, but all that does is change the format from "Folder# - Date" to "Folder# - Pentx". I'd like to be able to format new folders as "Date - Folder#".

---------- Post added 12-26-18 at 12:07 PM ----------

Actually it is also available on the K-5, K-7, and I suspect the K2 models as well. Full program line (including the "MTF" setting that I sorely miss) was available all the way back to my old K10D.

Subtracting features that were present on virtually all the preceding models to help differentiate the price/"value" points between the K-70 and the KP was a nasty decision on behalf of Ricoh's marketing management.
K-7, 5, 3 are all flagship models. K-10d was also a flagship model. To make a fair comparison look to the k100d, k-x, k-30 - I don't recall at the moment if those models support changing the program line directly. The scn modes indirectly accomplish this and these scene modes aren't available on flagship models I wonder if that is the difference?
12-26-2018, 12:59 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Perhaps you should check the specifications of a camera before you buy it, rather than describe the marketing dept as making "a nasty decision"? As has been explained, the distinction is between the upper tier ("commonly called flagship") and lower tier models over the years. Its not just about removing features to annoy you, or save money necessarily.... the cameras are designed and targeted at different types of users with different needs in terms of sophistications and fine tunings.
There is no production cost advantage to NOT having said features, when it was obvious that far inferior hardware (CPU) and code was capable of such a decade ago. Does the K70 *need* it? Of course not! No camera does, if you know how to use it properly. Personally I'll take the articulated screen of the K70 over having such "flagship" features in the KP or the K1, and their assorted shortcomings.

Didn't mean to poke anyone with a stick. This sort of "nitpick" is exactly that; one that isn't mentioned in any reviews (that I've read, anyway), and simply something that surprised me, as I took it for granted when I made my purchase decision. My bad.

I started this thread with the hopes that perhaps these simple "features" were just hidden somewhere in the new UI.

The lack of flexibility in naming folders though, that's inexcusable in this day and age.
12-26-2018, 01:20 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is (was) also of use shooting with older glass in "M"anual mode, where the aperture ring takes the place of e-dial control that would be used in "AV"
Edited as i misread your post

Last edited by pschlute; 12-26-2018 at 01:33 PM.
12-26-2018, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #13
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
To make a fair comparison look to the k100d, k-x, k-30 - I don't recall at the moment if those models support changing the program line directly
I checked the manuals for my old K100D Super and K-30. They didn't provide for changing the program line. Confirms Adam's point, that this has been one of the points of differentiation between flagship and lower models in the whole run of Pentax DSLRs.

In the grand scheme of things, while we might always wish for more in any particular model, an entry model like the K-70 or my K-S2 comes with an amazing array of features.

As for the folder-naming options, the option for date-first is in the PF members' list of suggestions for software improvements: Thread to collect easy firmware improvement suggestions (software feature requests) - PentaxForums.com

Personally I'll take the articulated screen of the K70 over having such "flagship" features in the KP or the K1, and their assorted shortcomings
I like the fully-articulated screen too (same on the K-S2) but I wouldn't describe the tilt screen on the KP or K-1 series as a shortcoming. I suspect that Ricoh went for a tilt rather than flippy screen for greater durability on models that have a longer life expectancy. (I don't know what else you could mean about shortcomings in the KP compared to the K-70. The only other pluses for the K-70 v KP I can think of would be scene modes, slightly larger buffer, more powerful popup flash, IR port and a few mm smaller dimensions.)

Last edited by Des; 12-26-2018 at 02:40 PM.
12-26-2018, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I checked the manuals for my old K100D Super and K-30. They didn't provide for changing the program line. Confirms Adam's point, that this has been one of the points of differentiation between flagship and lower models in the whole run of Pentax DSLRs.

In the grand scheme of things, while we might always wish for more in any particular model, an entry model like the K-70 or my K-S2 comes with an amazing array of features.

As for the folder-naming options, the option for date-first is in the PF members' list of suggestions for software improvements: Thread to collect easy firmware improvement suggestions (software feature requests) - PentaxForums.com

My real thinking is that the flagships lack scene modes and need this feature to provide more control over the automation behavior that otherwise those scene modes offer. The two offer different ways to achieve similar goals. The mtf line might be harder to emulate using scene modes.
12-26-2018, 02:42 PM   #15
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My real thinking is that the flagships lack scene modes and need this feature to provide more control over the automation behavior that otherwise those scene modes offer. The two offer different ways to achieve similar goals. The mtf line might be harder to emulate using scene modes.
That makes sense. Although wouldn't it be possible to write the Scene modes so that they just overrode any custom PLine settings? (They override some other user settings, from memory.)