Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2018, 10:34 PM   #1

problems with JJC MA-PK1 series remote shutter and my K-70

The problem is it doesn't work.

This is suppose to be a direct replacement for the CS-310.

The LCD shows the remote is plugged in, but simply does not work as its says on the box.
It won't autofocus by pressing partially down on the button and it won't take a picture at all under any settings.
Even with the lens on manual, and the camera set on manual and or bulb.

The only way I could get it to take an intermittent picture was to press the camera shutter release button half way down so it auto-focuses, and only then would the PK1 trigger. By having to touch the camera, this completely defeats the entire reason for having a remote shutter.

Has anybody else run into this? Does anybody else have a schematic on how the remote shutter release (or jack connections) are suppose to be wired. At best I'm guessing the wires are soldered on in the wrong order, or the extra black wire was cut off by accident. I could not get the black wire to register a connection to any of the shaft positions, so I assume its also cut at the jack connector.

Attached Images

12-27-2018, 11:08 PM   #2
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi mnv, as you are not using the ( original ) CS-310 cable release, page 55 of the manual states that you change the device connected from the default Auto Select. Only thing I can think of. Good luck.
Attached Images

12-27-2018, 11:43 PM   #3

Original Poster
So I just discovered the remote can be assembled wrong. I just took it apart and back together 5 times because each time it assembled differently. 3 times it would not work but twice it did. There is a two part button and slider which can be assembled in the wrong position and orientation. The button can be pushed and slide, but it won't operate the circuit board push button contact.

So I guess it works after all, just needs some random disassembly / assembly cluster-muckin-about to make work.
12-28-2018, 03:05 AM   #4

Sometimes the plastic at the base of the plug on 3rd party remotes needs to be trimmed down. Otherwise the plug doesn't go in far enough to make proper/reliable connections.

This has been reported by other forum members.

Of course it is possible that the unit is bad. Have you checked the connections and switch operations with a continuity checker or multi-meter?

Note: the 4th pole is not used. See this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/193-pentax-k-70/323526-about-wired-remote-control.html

Several people in that thread report the JJC remote works flawlessly for them. Send it back for replacement.

Last edited by Not a Number; 12-28-2018 at 07:40 AM.
12-29-2018, 09:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
I did also find the plug did not seat properly because of the cameras rubber plug door covering the 3.5mm jack, but did not include those in the results. Yes I used a continuity checker, and all tested good, with the exception of the 4th ring which showed no contact. Thanks for the confirmation on that.
12-30-2018, 11:46 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have this one, works very well with K-P:
JJC Radio Frequency Wireless Remote Control for Pentax KP K-70 replace CS-310 | eBay

there is a new model available which uses more conventional ( cheaper) batteries:
JJC Radio Frequency Wireless Remote Control for Pentax KP K-70 as Pentax CS-310 6950291555342 | eBay
01-01-2019, 07:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The remote I use

This is the remote I use for my K-70.

JJC S-PK1 Wired Remote reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

$9 on eBay.
01-02-2019, 04:07 AM   #8

Original Poster
The S-PK1 is the same thing as I have, just in a different case.

01-02-2019, 04:42 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by midnightvisions Quote
The S-PK1 is the same thing as I have, just in a different case.
Mine has worked well so far.
05-11-2019, 08:17 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I opened the box and plugged it into my K-70 and it worked straight out of the box without changing anything.
I recommend this switch as a cheap replacement for the cs-310.