Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2019, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #16
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CanadianKangaroo Quote
one question here about the FA lens isn't F means film camera use?
The FA lenses came out in the film era (as did the F, A, M, K and all the M42 screw mount lenses). They can all be used on DSLRs. Some are very, very good and have their particular fan clubs. The important thing is that all the film era lenses cover a full frame sensor (FF) whereas the later DA lenses were designed for APS-C and generally only cover the APS-C sensor, although some DA lenses will cover the FF sensor (There is a thread about it here: DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread - PentaxForums.com ) D FA lenses are more recent and designed for use on both FF and APS-C sensors.
As your K-70 has an APS-C the distinction isn't going to worry you. There is some thought about whether lenses designed for film are as good as those designed for digital but that can get very technical. It will never worry most of us. One of our best photographers here (@kerrowdown) uses "A" series lenses exclusively on his Pentax K-1 and produces some very fine images. I still buy film era lenses but I 'cherry pick' the best of them. Check out the lens reviews here and you will see which ones have the reputations.
And keep asking questions until you are satisfied you know what you want and why!

01-02-2019, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by CanadianKangaroo Quote
thanks. I will put the fisheye on my bucket list. I did find someone asking how to compare DA 12-24 AND Sigma 8-16 on this forum. I found that thread is quite useful, too. 8-16 sounds more awesome to me - the smaller the wider you can see. lol
You might find this review helpful:

Rokinon 8mm vs. 10mm vs. Sigma 8-16mm vs. Pentax 10-17mm Ultra-wide Showdown Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-05-2019, 10:21 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
The FA lenses came out in the film era (as did the F, A, M, K and all the M42 screw mount lenses). They can all be used on DSLRs. Some are very, very good and have their particular fan clubs. The important thing is that all the film era lenses cover a full frame sensor (FF) whereas the later DA lenses were designed for APS-C and generally only cover the APS-C sensor, although some DA lenses will cover the FF sensor (There is a thread about it here: DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread - PentaxForums.com ) D FA lenses are more recent and designed for use on both FF and APS-C sensors.
As your K-70 has an APS-C the distinction isn't going to worry you. There is some thought about whether lenses designed for film are as good as those designed for digital but that can get very technical. It will never worry most of us. One of our best photographers here (@kerrowdown) uses "A" series lenses exclusively on his Pentax K-1 and produces some very fine images. I still buy film era lenses but I 'cherry pick' the best of them. Check out the lens reviews here and you will see which ones have the reputations.
And keep asking questions until you are satisfied you know what you want and why!
very detailed reply PJ, much appreciated. I will look into the best film lenses too. of course, have to do more study first.

---------- Post added 01-05-19 at 10:22 AM ----------

it took me a while to finish the reading but it's a Fantastic review for comparing these lenses especially with the real pictures. thanks again.
01-05-2019, 01:33 PM   #19
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
One of our best photographers here (@kerrowdown) uses "A" series lenses exclusively on his Pentax K-1 and produces some very fine images.
Thank you for your very complimentary comments, you've got the old Kerrowdown now blushing...

01-05-2019, 02:11 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome! Enjoy your k-70.

As for lens choices - how deep are your pockets? As a compliment to your WR kit zoom, the DA35/2.4 and DA50/1.8 would give you extra image quality and better subject isolation for portraits at very low cost. You do miss out on quick shift manual focus, weather resistance and the build quality of Pentax's premium lenses.

If you're willing to invest more heavily into the Pentax ecosystem, the ultimate portrait lenses for crop cameras (IMHO) are the DA*55/1.4, DA70 and FA77. Only the DA*55 is weather sealed if that is important; conversely, while the DA70 is the most compact. The FA77 is my all-time favourite though - there's just something special about the way it renders; in Pentax Land we call it Pixie Dust.

For the Northern Lights, you ideally want something wide, well corrected and fast - a combination which can be be both costly and hard to find for Pentax APS-C. The soon-to-be-released DA*11-18/2.8 will probably be the ultimate package, but will be a large and expensive beast. If you're in a hurry, the DA14/2.8 is probably the front-runner in the current catalogue, but I have no personal experience with it.

Happy hunting
01-05-2019, 02:37 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
For the Northern Lights, you ideally want something wide, well corrected and fast - a combination which can be be both costly and hard to find for Pentax APS-C. The soon-to-be-released DA*11-18/2.8 will probably be the ultimate package, but will be a large and expensive beast.
If you can find a Sigma 8-16 for northern lights....