Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2019, 01:07 PM   #1

New to the forum, New K-70 owner saying hello and suggestions recommendations needed

Hello everyone, just bought my 2nd DSLR yesterday under the recommendation of Mr.Spencer Cox - a K-70. this forum helped me a lot with comparing the lenses. the first camera I had was almost 10 years ago and it was a Canon, already forgot the model number.

I bought this K70 camera mainly for taking portrait pictures of my new born baby ( due next month) and in an odd time - I might go out to take some pictures of the northern lights (yes I can see them quite often).

so here are my questions: I already have a WR lens (you can see in my profile) a 18-55mm DAL AL WR. I do not know if this will be enough for my portrait shots or the northern lights shots.

I am able to find some Pentax useable lens locally but the problem is I do not know which lens I should buy.

any suggestion/recommendation is much appreciated.

Happy new year to everyone.

01-01-2019, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A fast fixed lens would be great for baby portraits and you can pick up a fast 50mm lens without breaking the bank, or go for one of better 50mm lenses if your budget allows. Even the cheap 50mm lenses are excellent..
01-01-2019, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums from "downunder". The K-70 is a good DSLR by all accounts and the 18-55 is also a good general purpose lens (I have an earlier version of it). But asking for suggestions and advice here can be inviting overload. Having said that, and without knowing much about what your future uses (or budget) might be, I can only suggest a good portrait lens (for the new addition to your family. The Pentax FA 70mm or FA77mm (fairly expensive) would be excellent choices, but I find that on APS-C a 50mm lens can work well. That opens up a lot of choices, particularly if you can work with an older 50mm f1.4 or f1.7 lens. They can be quite inexpensive. The Pentax M50/1.7 is very good. But check out the lens reviews here. For the Northern Lights, maybe a nice wide angle. I don't have much experience with wide angle (a Sigma 18-200 covers my needs at that end), and the 18mm end of your 18-55 may be all you need to start with. But others will have better ideas than I can offer - particularly if they do astro or northern lights photography. Bu sure to post your pics here!
01-01-2019, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello and welcome to the forum.
You can do portrait shots with the kit lens and it is quite versatile.
I would suggest you look at a Sigma 17-50 f2.8, for this and your night photography as it is fast and a good price but not WR. As a bonus it has a AF/MF switch that will enable you to use the catch in focus function.
The K-70 is a swiss army knife type of body that will allow a ton of working methods through it's drive modes, so it's a great choice. You will need a remote though.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
01-01-2019, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's an honestly tall order... There are a lot of portrait lenses options from primes to zooms. What budget?

Also northern light is astrophotography and coma and astigmatism start to be an issue that needs to be considered. Loads of options there. Typically the Astro lens will be wide angle bit not always.
01-01-2019, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

May I suggest the 35/2.4? Really a great lens selling for under $100.
01-01-2019, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote
New these are back up to $150 but still a bargain.

01-01-2019, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
New these are back up to $150 but still a bargain.
Presently $94 at Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_8_8?tag=pentaxforums-20&url=search-a...entax+35mm+2.4
01-01-2019, 02:44 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
A fast fixed lens would be great for baby portraits and you can pick up a fast 50mm lens without breaking the bank, or go for one of better 50mm lenses if your budget allows. Even the cheap 50mm lenses are excellent..
thank you for your reply. but I do need model number for the 50mm lens, I am a beginner really.

---------- Post added 01-01-19 at 02:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Welcome to the Forums from "downunder". The K-70 is a good DSLR by all accounts and the 18-55 is also a good general purpose lens (I have an earlier version of it). But asking for suggestions and advice here can be inviting overload. Having said that, and without knowing much about what your future uses (or budget) might be, I can only suggest a good portrait lens (for the new addition to your family. The Pentax FA 70mm or FA77mm (fairly expensive) would be excellent choices, but I find that on APS-C a 50mm lens can work well. That opens up a lot of choices, particularly if you can work with an older 50mm f1.4 or f1.7 lens. They can be quite inexpensive. The Pentax M50/1.7 is very good. But check out the lens reviews here. For the Northern Lights, maybe a nice wide angle. I don't have much experience with wide angle (a Sigma 18-200 covers my needs at that end), and the 18mm end of your 18-55 may be all you need to start with. But others will have better ideas than I can offer - particularly if they do astro or northern lights photography. Bu sure to post your pics here!
A big thank you for the detailed information. my budget for the extra lens (lenses) for used ones are around 300 in total. if one lens can do it all then I can spend 300 all on the same lens or I have to share the money between the lenes. I am only new to the lenses so I do not want to spend a lot of money on a wrong new lens.

model number is important to me so I can so a little bit research.

one question here about the FA lens isn't F means film camera use?

---------- Post added 01-01-19 at 02:53 PM ----------

That's an honestly tall order... There are a lot of portrait lenses options from primes to zooms. What budget?

Also northern light is astrophotography and coma and astigmatism start to be an issue that needs to be considered. Loads of options there. Typically the Astro lens will be wide angle bit not always.
300 Canadian is my total budget for two purposes, currently working on the portrait lens, the northern lights lens I can wait. don't think I will have any time to do it for a good while once the baby is here.

---------- Post added 01-01-19 at 02:54 PM ----------

thanks a million. but could you give me a detailed model number or link? 35mm 1: 2.4 is that what you mean?

---------- Post added 01-01-19 at 03:00 PM ----------

great ! just added to my cart. now start researching on other lens recommended above.
01-01-2019, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by CanadianKangaroo Quote
Hello everyone, just bought my 2nd DSLR yesterday under the recommendation of Mr.Spencer Cox - a K-70. this forum helped me a lot with comparing the lenses. the first camera I had was almost 10 years ago and it was a Canon, already forgot the model number.

I bought this K70 camera mainly for taking portrait pictures of my new born baby ( due next month) and in an odd time - I might go out to take some pictures of the northern lights (yes I can see them quite often).

so here are my questions: I already have a WR lens (you can see in my profile) a 18-55mm DAL AL WR. I do not know if this will be enough for my portrait shots or the northern lights shots.

I am able to find some Pentax useable lens locally but the problem is I do not know which lens I should buy.

any suggestion/recommendation is much appreciated.

Happy new year to everyone.
Welcome aboard!

I actually just got back from a northern lights shoot; due to space restrictions all I had was a 24mm lens (equivalent to 18mm on APS-C). I can tell you that this wasn't wide enough to capture the fully beauty of the night sky. A fisheye lens, or an ultra-wide lens like the DA 12-24mm or Sigma 8-16mm, would serve you a lot better for that purpose.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-01-2019, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am extremely happy with the K-70. I would consider the DA 50 mm 1.8 for portraits (as others have suggested) although I have not used it there many recommendations and good reviews and it is inexpensive. For the sky, of course a wide angle is obvious but I recently saw a vid on YouTube where the fellow used a telephoto and shot a landscape series and stitched a panorama. I have not used this technique for landscapes as yet but the reasoning seemed sound. It is rather far out on my learning curve.
01-01-2019, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I missed that! Good catch.

---------- Post added 01-01-19 at 09:43 PM ----------

To the OP: While manual focus primes are out there for what your budget is I would look for a DA 50 f1.8 an FA 50 f1.7 or an F 50 f1.7 ( the F and FA are only available used. ) Those are within your budget and fast enough to do what you want.
01-01-2019, 10:39 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Welcome aboard!

I actually just got back from a northern lights shoot; due to space restrictions all I had was a 24mm lens (equivalent to 18mm on APS-C). I can tell you that this wasn't wide enough to capture the fully beauty of the night sky. A fisheye lens, or an ultra-wide lens like the DA 12-24mm or Sigma 8-16mm, would serve you a lot better for that purpose.
thanks. I will put the fisheye on my bucket list. I did find someone asking how to compare DA 12-24 AND Sigma 8-16 on this forum. I found that thread is quite useful, too. 8-16 sounds more awesome to me - the smaller the wider you can see. lol
01-01-2019, 10:41 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
I am extremely happy with the K-70. I would consider the DA 50 mm 1.8 for portraits (as others have suggested) although I have not used it there many recommendations and good reviews and it is inexpensive. For the sky, of course a wide angle is obvious but I recently saw a vid on YouTube where the fellow used a telephoto and shot a landscape series and stitched a panorama. I have not used this technique for landscapes as yet but the reasoning seemed sound. It is rather far out on my learning curve.
that's a good idea, one more thing to learn. I m in love with the stars, maybe this will help me catch some great pictures of the moon.
01-01-2019, 10:43 PM   #15

Original Poster
I missed that! Good catch.

---------- Post added 01-01-19 at 09:43 PM ----------

To the OP: While manual focus primes are out there for what your budget is I would look for a DA 50 f1.8 an FA 50 f1.7 or an F 50 f1.7 ( the F and FA are only available used. ) Those are within your budget and fast enough to do what you want.
thank you. added DA on my list. I don't know if F stands for Film that's why I prefer DA. at least I know this is for sure good for the K-70. thanks again for spending time on my question.