Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2019, 02:48 PM   #46
Pentaxian

@Des

Funnily enough, the Sigma F4-F5.6 10-20mm (at least the early non-HSM version?) might just be "sort of" FF compatible! Why do I say that?

Somewhat after that lens "hit the deck" with me on top, I heard a "clunk" one day - as, it turned out, there's a small cylindical insert in the rear section of the lens which had fallen out onto the floor! Popped it back in but it fell out again later, and so I refitted it with some medium strength threadlock and it hasn't fallen out since

FWIW, I suspect that that insert is intended to restrict the image projected onto the sensor to APS-C size, and thus, without it, it might cover FF - but probably with quite severe image edge degradation.

Last edited by jeallen01; 02-10-2019 at 03:03 PM.
02-10-2019, 04:56 PM   #47
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Funnily enough, the Sigma F4-F5.6 10-20mm (at least the early non-HSM version?) might just be "sort of" FF compatible!
There are a few PF threads about this, including the one I linked to. My take-home from those discussions is that the lens is soft in the corners on FF, even once any vignetting is cropped out. Removing the insert (as you did involuntarily ;-) ) might reduce vignetting but I agree that it probably would still show a lot of image degradation.
02-10-2019, 05:52 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I understand that Full Frame lenses will save me money down the track seeing that I will eventually get a FF camera.
I have decided to go against that advice I guess and to go against my original budget of $800 LOL.

I have now setup to buy a DA*16-50 and a DA*50-135 within the coming weeks as I pay them off (both 2nd hand) quite cheaply from a friend.
I will have my Tamron 90mm & FA 28-105MM on Wednesday.

Originally I posted wanting replacements for what was in my backpack and wanting suggestions for travel lenses. With the 4 lenses above, I think all I want now is to replace the DAL 50-200 with probably the DA* 300 and DA55-300 & then add something wider.

I am probably now just going to buy a WR 15mm limited or a 10-17 fisheye.

My holiday is primarily a photographic holiday for me.
I am spending a week in Italy, flying to London and then going to Stonehenge all before catching up with the 5 others going on holiday together in Edinburgh, 4 day Music festival (Hellfest) in France and then Amsterdam.

I am fully aware of the fact that the phography epuiptment I will be carrying will be around 10kg.
The music festival is allowing me to bring all camera gear. I intend on getting some nice pics.

I don't think I can own too many lenses...
I have ideas of collecting Pentax lenses and will keep buying all these cheap package deals and eventually open a market stall with the excess I get from them after I get what I want out of the package.

As an example, I got a Sun 70-210 4.5 in excellent condition, in its original leather pouch and in its box, a beautiful copy of Pentax-M 35-70 in an original Pentax 35-70 pouch, a Pentax AF160 Flash in its leather pouch and a Focal 2x Tele converter in its leather pouch and box for $30.

I was prepared to pay $30 for the 35-70mm and the AF160 will go to my collection while the rest is excess.
I am building quite a collection of excess.

In 12 months or more when I decide to get a FF camera, I will by just buy more lenses at that time.

Last edited by VILLAINofOZ; 02-10-2019 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Missed info
03-21-2019, 05:29 PM   #49

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax-M 35-70mm f2.8-f3.5 is an excellent lens. I used it for landscapes and it shone, the best M series zoom made I would say.