Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
06-20-2019, 06:13 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
For some reason public works are constantly having their funding cut, and many of the roads lookout, built back in the 60s and 70s now have their views blocked by trees. A scissor lift or chain saw is often desired. Now that there are electric chainsaws, without the noisy gas motors, I'm tempted to surreptitiously restore a few of these lookouts to their former glory. Tempted, but, not terribly motivated.
Actually, the overlook itself is inside Grand Tetons National Park boundaries so a whole lot of different rules there.

06-20-2019, 06:32 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Actually, the overlook itself is inside Grand Tetons National Park boundaries so a whole lot of different rules there.
Those parks people really hate you cutting trees, but they are then charging people to use the lookouts.
06-20-2019, 06:51 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Those parks people really hate you cutting trees, but they are then charging people to use the lookouts.
Not in this case. Just pull off route 89 and there you are. Besides old farts like me get lifetime passes. While I do get into places like Yellowstone for free now, I do drop lucre into the money jars at the visitor's centers. Not all national parks and monuments in the US have an entrance fee. It cost money to maintain parks I see no problem charging user fees. As much as some people may think it so, there is no such thing as a free ride.
06-20-2019, 07:19 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Not in this case. Just pull off route 89 and there you are. Besides old farts like me get lifetime passes. While I do get into places like Yellowstone for free now, I do drop lucre into the money jars at the visitor's centers. Not all national parks and monuments in the US have an entrance fee. It cost money to maintain parks I see no problem charging user fees. As much as some people may think it so, there is no such thing as a free ride.
My park pass costs me $170 a year. They could keep the lookouts clean for me, and other pass holders.

06-20-2019, 07:30 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My park pass costs me $170 a year. They could keep the lookouts clean for me, and other pass holders.
Once you hit 62 in the states, a lifetime pass is now $80. When I got mine it was only $14 or so. Evan at $80 it is still one heck of a deal. Seniors can also get the annual pass for $20 if they so choose.

For non seniors there is an annual pass that is good for one year from date of purchase. It cost $80 but is free if you are in the military.
06-20-2019, 07:32 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you ever heard of chainsaw lightning? Very rare occurrence but when it strikes it hits a stand of trees they look just like you took a chainsaw to them.
06-20-2019, 07:34 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Have you ever heard of chainsaw lightning? Very rare occurrence but when it strikes it hits a stand of trees they look just like you took a chainsaw to them.
Do you suppose that would stand up in court?

06-25-2019, 05:35 PM   #68

I also get into the parks for free as a permanently disabled person with the Golden Access pass. In Colorado I get into our State Parks with the State Equivalent and also get a lifetime fishing permit. Now, all I need to figure out is how to fit some hip boots onto my wheel chair.

By the way, I am not sure I should get in for free, but figure it is like tax regulations. Right and wrong lose meaning when Uncle Sam sets the rules. You just need to go with legal or illegal. I am not about to walk away from a tax deduction, nor a free entrance. I just go with their regulations.
06-25-2019, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #69
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here by us, taxes pay for National Parks upkeep, which is mainly track upkeep and hut / bridge maintenance or replacement. To stay overnight in the parks, there is a modest hut fee, but, day walkers (not staying overnight) get in free.