Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2019, 10:06 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Geelong, Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 75
OK - So I got my K-70 so now.....

So i got my K-70 yesterday and with the reading up, the accessory searching and comparing etc.. I decided to spend my money on lenses for the new beast.
I have given a few shots with the k-70 outside in the dark with the lens i think I own that gives the worst results (DAL 18-55) and I am shocked at how good the pics turned out.. I am in love with the K-70 in just 48 hrs.
Far superior to my K-x.
So far I have spent a few dollars on a an order of a new "Tamron SP AF 90mm f2.8 Macro". I was going to buy the Pentax 100mm macro WR lens but opted for the Tamron after searching the net for reviews of both.
Secondly I opted for a "HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR" as both of these lenses have an aperture ring which I would like to use in manual.

My dilemma now is what next?
I have shortlisted a few options but I may be yet to see a better option.

First I should really tell you guys what lenses I have and use regularly. I have a camera backpack designed for the purpose.
I was using a K-x (I have a black and a white copy of the K-x) and have swapped it out of my backpack for the K-70 :-)
I have the following lenses in my backpack :-
smc Asahi Pentax-K 55mm f2 / smc Pentax-F 28-80mm macro / DAL 18-55mm / DAL 50-200mm / Tamron 28-200mm AF Aspherical LD IF macro / FAJ 75-300mm

I also own and sometimes swap other lenses in my collection (below) with the above lenses in my backpack (above) when travelling or doing shots at home.
Pentax-A 70-200mm macro / smc Pentax-A 80-200mm / Tamron-2 80-210mm Adaptall / Sigma Aspherical 28-80mm macro / Sigma DL 35-80 / 2nd copy of DAL 18-35 (white)
And M42 lenses sometimes with adapter :- Takumar 50m f1.4 / Auto Takumar 55mm f2 / Tamron 70-220 f3.8 / Tasman 135mm 2.8
And then some others...
Minolta MD mount 35-70mm f2.8 macro with k mount adapter (only works in macro) but produces stunning shots.
Rikenon 70-230mm f4.5 m42 mount with tripod mount.
Hanimex 400mm with tripod mount (I dont know the mount type yet but the build quality/optics look supreme)
M42 Bellows / K Bellows / Schneider Comparon 105mm 4.5 enlarger lens with adapters to M42 and 52mm / 2x Tele converter K-Mount.

So my dilemma is that I have just purchased the Tamron SP 90mm macro & Pentax DFA 28-105mm and will soon have them delivered.
I am now trying to decide with the remaining spending money of what will best replace what I have for better use with my K-70.
My narrow budget is $800 AUD.

A) Pentax DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR Zoom Lens $250.00
B) Pentax SMC Pentax DA 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED WR Zoom Lens $300.00
C) Pentax SMCP-D FA 50mm f/2.8 Macro Autofocus Lens $450.00
D) Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Autofocus Lens $500.00
E) Pentax D FA 100mm f/2.8 MACRO WR $645.00
F) Pentax SMS Pentax-FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited Lens (Black or Silver) $749.00

Help me decide please... I intend on travelling to Europe for 3 weeks in June this year. Travel lens tips also appreciated.

02-05-2019, 10:26 AM   #2
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 26
Hey, congrats on the K70. I am trying to decide if K70 would work me as well. I am currently using a K-x just like you used to do. How does K70s autofocus compare to K-x, especially in low light? I have been frustrated by K-x autofocus on many occasions and want to upgrade to something that has significantly better autofocus.
As for lens suggestions, I'd like to add a wide angle lens to your list, such as DA21 or DA15 limiteds. I am using DA21 with my K-x, and boy does it create beautiful images.
02-05-2019, 11:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian
CarlJF's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Quebec City
Posts: 1,055
I hate to say this, but it would have been much better if you had asked us before buying some expensive lenses!

The 28-105 is a very fine lens, but is designed for FF and bit long to be use as a workhorse lens on a APS-C camera like the K-70. If you're looking for a good zoom to travel, the 16-85 4-5.6 is a much better choice to pair with the K-70 IMHO. Just complete with a larger aperture prime, like one of the 50mm and you're good to go. Or bring in the DA 70 if you're thinking to shoot a lot of portraits. If you have money to spend, depending on what you're intending to shoot, you may add a UWA zoom, the DA 10-17 or a telephoto like the 55-300 PLM. Personnaly, I really like the 10-17 when traveling. Even it's a fisheye, it's light, compact, and very versatile when needing a larger field of view than waht is provided with a standard zoom (the DA 17-70 in my case, but the 16-85 is now definitely a better choice).
02-05-2019, 11:48 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 30
SAMYANG 85mm 1.4 on a K-70

I've been training with the Samyang 85mm 1.4 manual focus lens on my K70 and I absolutely love it. I'm using it for indoor portraits. Haven't taken it outdoors yet as it's still a little skiddish. Another nice lens not on your list is the Pentax DA 50mm f1.8.

The K70 is awesome, especially for the price which allowed me to purchase more lenses on my budget.

02-05-2019, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hertfordshire, England
Posts: 388
QuoteOriginally posted by brofessor Quote
.....As for lens suggestions, I'd like to add a wide angle lens to your list, such as DA21 or DA15 limiteds. I am using DA21 with my K-x, and boy does it create beautiful images.
As you don't have a quality wide lens in your list this is an excellent suggestion. You have already chosen the DFA 28-105 and you will not be disappointed - the user reviews here are mainly with the K-1 full-frame camera, but the K-70 APS-C camera uses the central sweet-spot of the 28-105's image circle giving excellent image quality. (By the way it doesn't have an aperture ring but that isn't important.) However, if you want a zoom that is better than your 18-55, consider a 17-50 from either Tamron or Sigma - both give good image quality but the Sigma has the slight edge, although it is significantly bigger and more costly. I would also suggest that at some stage in the near future you get the new 55-300 PLM.

Philip
02-05-2019, 12:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
pres589's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lawrence, KS
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,296
Having to change lenses right at 28mm is not something I would want to do. My crop travel kit is a DA 15 SMC, DA 18-135, and DA 50 1.8 (although an F 50 1.7 may replace the DA 1.8, I have both on the shelf). Make sure your bag is good to use, keep a charger with the plugs needed to charge where ever you might go, bring a mini tripod and a remote shutter release. A spare battery and spare SD cards obviously, and I like having good quality UV filters on all of my lenses, although some folks don't. If you are okay with manually focusing on a digital body that doesn't provide much in the way of focusing aids, that Takumar 50 1.4 would replace the DA 50 I mentioned. I don't like having to "look that hard" myself.

Buying used should get you those three lenses for about $800 Australian, I think. Maybe you could sell or organize a trade of some of your existing lenses to help make this less of a financial burden.
02-05-2019, 12:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Paul the Sunman's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,057
QuoteOriginally posted by VILLAINofOZ Quote
Secondly I opted for a "HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR" as both of these lenses have an aperture ring which I would like to use in manual.
The HD DFA 28-105 does not have an aperture ring. You are confusing it with the SMC FA 28-105, which is a very different lens.
02-05-2019, 12:54 PM   #8
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,488
QuoteOriginally posted by VILLAINofOZ Quote
So i got my K-70 yesterday and with the reading up, the accessory searching and comparing etc.. I decided to spend my money on lenses for the new beast.
I have given a few shots with the k-70 outside in the dark with the lens i think I own that gives the worst results (DAL 18-55) and I am shocked at how good the pics turned out.. I am in love with the K-70 in just 48 hrs.
Far superior to my K-x.
So far I have spent a few dollars on a an order of a new "Tamron SP AF 90mm f2.8 Macro". I was going to buy the Pentax 100mm macro WR lens but opted for the Tamron after searching the net for reviews of both.
Secondly I opted for a "HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR" as both of these lenses have an aperture ring which I would like to use in manual.

My dilemma now is what next?
I have shortlisted a few options but I may be yet to see a better option.

First I should really tell you guys what lenses I have and use regularly. I have a camera backpack designed for the purpose.
I was using a K-x (I have a black and a white copy of the K-x) and have swapped it out of my backpack for the K-70 :-)
I have the following lenses in my backpack :-
smc Asahi Pentax-K 55mm f2 / smc Pentax-F 28-80mm macro / DAL 18-55mm / DAL 50-200mm / Tamron 28-200mm AF Aspherical LD IF macro / FAJ 75-300mm

I also own and sometimes swap other lenses in my collection (below) with the above lenses in my backpack (above) when travelling or doing shots at home.
Pentax-A 70-200mm macro / smc Pentax-A 80-200mm / Tamron-2 80-210mm Adaptall / Sigma Aspherical 28-80mm macro / Sigma DL 35-80 / 2nd copy of DAL 18-35 (white)
And M42 lenses sometimes with adapter :- Takumar 50m f1.4 / Auto Takumar 55mm f2 / Tamron 70-220 f3.8 / Tasman 135mm 2.8
And then some others...
Minolta MD mount 35-70mm f2.8 macro with k mount adapter (only works in macro) but produces stunning shots.
Rikenon 70-230mm f4.5 m42 mount with tripod mount.
Hanimex 400mm with tripod mount (I dont know the mount type yet but the build quality/optics look supreme)
M42 Bellows / K Bellows / Schneider Comparon 105mm 4.5 enlarger lens with adapters to M42 and 52mm / 2x Tele converter K-Mount.

So my dilemma is that I have just purchased the Tamron SP 90mm macro & Pentax DFA 28-105mm and will soon have them delivered.
I am now trying to decide with the remaining spending money of what will best replace what I have for better use with my K-70.
My narrow budget is $800 AUD.

A) Pentax DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR Zoom Lens $250.00
B) Pentax SMC Pentax DA 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED WR Zoom Lens $300.00
C) Pentax SMCP-D FA 50mm f/2.8 Macro Autofocus Lens $450.00
D) Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Autofocus Lens $500.00
E) Pentax D FA 100mm f/2.8 MACRO WR $645.00
F) Pentax SMS Pentax-FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited Lens (Black or Silver) $749.00

Help me decide please... I intend on travelling to Europe for 3 weeks in June this year. Travel lens tips also appreciated.
I wish you had posted this question before you purchased any lenses; on my APS-C cameras, I found the DA 18-135 lens to be a great "walk-around" lens - I switched to the FA 28-105 lens on my K-30 only when it started having Dark Image Syndrome problems, and I needed it because of it's aperture ring.

02-05-2019, 01:06 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Geelong, Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 75
Original Poster
Well that is interesting...you guys are correct.. I must have confused the two lenses.. Too late now.. My decision will stay the same.
I too am sure that I won't be disappointed with the 28-105 as it not primarily for travel. I'm not sure the 28-135 is a better option.
I will most likely buy a FF camera in the future in any case so I may want that lens eventually anyway.

I should also mention that I eventually want to get a set of decent 35mm/50mm/70mm primes or similar.

At the end of the year, I will probably look at buying a DA*300mm or similar. I do like the idea of a 70mm limited. Perhaps spend my money on flash units for now to help with my macro.... Ac power converter fo my k-70... Too many options.... Nahh... I really do want more lenses to replace the old glass.
I wish this was easy.
02-05-2019, 01:27 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
pres589's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lawrence, KS
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,296
You do realize that a 28mm lens on a crop body gives a field of view similar to a 42mm lens on full-frame / film cameras, right?

To each his own and everyone has their own style of shooting but I would feel pretty hamstrung by such as lens in a travel situation where I don't want to carry a pile of glass with me.
02-05-2019, 01:38 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ramseybuckeye's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elida, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,864
HD DA 15 & HD DA 21 are two high quality primes that could help you. Or return the 28-105 and swap for a 16-85 or 18-135. If you want to go long the 55-300 PLM has good IQ throughout the range and super fast auto focus.
02-05-2019, 01:51 PM   #12
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,488
QuoteOriginally posted by VILLAINofOZ Quote
Well that is interesting...you guys are correct.. I must have confused the two lenses.. Too late now.. My decision will stay the same.
I too am sure that I won't be disappointed with the 28-105 as it not primarily for travel. I'm not sure the 28-135 is a better option.
I will most likely buy a FF camera in the future in any case so I may want that lens eventually anyway.
Your style must be much different from mine. I really really missed 18-28mm when Dark Image Syndrome forced me to take the DA 18-135mm out of my bag and put the FA 28-105mm in it - but it is your money.
02-05-2019, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 874
QuoteOriginally posted by Jondolar Quote
I've been training with the Samyang 85mm 1.4 manual focus lens on my K70 and I absolutely love it. I'm using it for indoor portraits. Haven't taken it outdoors yet as it's still a little skiddish. Another nice lens not on your list is the Pentax DA 50mm f1.8.

The K70 is awesome, especially for the price which allowed me to purchase more lenses on my budget.
Used that this weekend on a portrait shoot. Renders beautifully, and it's cheap (relatively)

---------- Post added 02-05-19 at 04:00 PM ----------

I generally carry only two lens for my K-70

-- A Pentax D-FA100 D
Don't believe the reviews that the Tamron is "just as good" The Pentax is a Limited in everything but name IMO.

--Sigma 17-50 2.8.
That one covers most of my general photo needs, consistently and reliably producing excellent images.

The rest of the gear in my signature covers the more specialized shooting stuff. For instance at the Tampa RenFair in two weeks I'll use the 50-135 and 17-50 (on two different cameras, don't even THINK about field changing lenses in that place!)

For wildlife it's almost always the DA200 even over the 300, along with my all-time fav the DFA100. My son likes to borrow the 55-300 PLM instead and gets great stuff with it.

Last edited by gatorguy; 02-05-2019 at 02:07 PM.
02-05-2019, 02:04 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 543
In my opinion, for hiking and other outdoor/traveling activities where weight and bother are prime issues it's hard to go wrong with the 16-85/55-300PLM combo. For other situations, other lenses come to the fore, of course. I have the 100mm macro and it is a truly wonderful lens, but everything I've seen says the Tamron is about as good except for no WR.
02-05-2019, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian
Paul the Sunman's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,057
I bought my DFA 28-105 at a good price while in the US, and used it for a while on my K3 in Europe while waiting for my K1 to arrive back in Australia. I was very pleased with it. However, I also had my DA15 with me, so I had wide angle covered. As others have said, I would have felt hamstrung without the 15.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
focus lens, k-70, k70, lens, lenses, m42, macro, mount, pentax, pentax k-70, samyang 85mm, smc, tamron, wr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I got one - I got one - I got one (K1M2) rcolman Pentax K-1 8 04-08-2018 09:34 AM
OK, OK, I'm posting. fredralphfred Welcomes and Introductions 5 12-18-2012 03:13 PM
ok got the k-7 now the lens? stevencahdg Ask B&H Photo! 2 06-18-2010 08:17 AM
Ok, I got my Super Takumar Eaglerapids Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 10-02-2007 06:04 AM
Ok, I got the 540 flash with my K10D..... sharpshoota Pentax DSLR Discussion 19 02-08-2007 11:38 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:52 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top