Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2019, 07:24 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Considering a K-70 and 18-50 (HD preferred)

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi, All
Looking at options for a trip to Japan in May for through-hiking (at least 5 days). I am currently spoilt by having an X-T20 and 16-50 kit, and a Panasonic GM5 and 12-60 kit lens (422g for the pair!). These are light options, and in the case of the 12-60, water resistant. My alternates are an X-T2 with the 16-80, but that may not be ready, and is significantly more expensive. Also the Nikon Z6 and 24-70 ($$$$). I have also considered picking up an EM5 mark II for the high-res and pair it with the 12-60.

However, I know that it is extremely likely to rain there in May and need weather-sealing. I want to keep things as light as possible (preferably 900g or less). That means a 1 lens wide to moderate tele solution. My GR will be backup.
I am no stranger to Pentax, but do not currently have any gear (last cam was K-5IIs, but I had 4 generations of bodies from 2006, have used most of the modern Pentax lenses). I am aware of the video situation. The feature set on the K-70 does look great for the money. I know what the AF situation looks like - this is fine.

Looking at the K-70 and 18-50. Prefer the HD version for the better colour and flare performance, and quiet AF. I would also consider the KP, as it looks a lot like the K-7 and K-5IIs. Use cases are landscapes, travelogue style photos (group hiking envionmental portraits) and detail (flowers, shrines, etc.).

Questions:
1. Does the K-70 do USB charging?
2. Realistically, how many shots am I going to get from a battery in ~15C weather with no use of video, and mainly through the viewfinder. Either one shot at a time, or a time-lapse?
3. I've read the reviews here. How do people find the above lens? Especially compared to the 18-55 WR, and 18-135? More interested in far field and curvature at distance, mid apertures, low ISO. Metering?
4. Does pixel shift help this specific lens' apparent resolution?
5. How is the WB accuracy on the K-70 in daylight or cloudy?
6. Could I expect aperture block failure within the first 3K shots?

Input welcome, and thank you in advance.

02-15-2019, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a k-3 and I own the 18-50 SMC and the 18-135. I bought the 18-50 to see if thus would give me a dslr option that was lighter than what I had.

In practice I always prefer to take other lenses (often the 18-135), so the 18-50 sits on a shelf. There's nothing wrong with the iq, I just find the weight size isn't worth the trade in range.
02-15-2019, 08:00 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

No Usb charging. I'd estimate around 400 shots typically, so probably less in temperatures that cold.

I'd go for the 18-50mm if your priority is compactness. Here's a review you might find helpful:
HD vs. SMC Pentax-DA 18-50mm F4-5.6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Lastly, failure of the aperture actuator isn't something should expect, but it's definitely something warranty will help protect against (especially if you get a 2 year extension).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-15-2019, 08:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I sold my 18-50. It’s a fine lens. I think it’s better than the 18-55, but I would always rather have the 18-135. I like the 16-50 or 16-85 paired with the 55-300 even more, but I do like the range of the 18-135 when traveling with only one lens.

A used 16-50 is super cheap these days. No reason not to just go for that. Yes it’s heavier, but it’s worth it.

I carry a spare battery. Should be fine all day with one spare.

Pentax’s auto WB is generally perfect. Shoot in raw and fix in post anyway, then you get the WB that works specifically for each shot.

02-15-2019, 08:53 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Multiple AWB mode is what I use on K-3. It supposedly zones the image and uses different white balances on various sections. This in the past wasn't recognized by the raw converters. I'm unclear if any support it today but I still use it. I do adjust wb in a few shots in dxo but typically it is very minor and not required.
02-15-2019, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

1. Does the K-70 do USB charging? Nope.
2. Realistically, how many shots am I going to get from a battery in ~15C weather with no use of video, and mainly through the viewfinder. Either one shot at a time, or a time-lapse? 400+ More if just raw or jpg
3. I've read the reviews here. How do people find the above lens? Especially compared to the 18-55 WR, and 18-135? More interested in far field and curvature at distance, mid apertures, low ISO. Metering? I have the 18-135. The reviews of this lens are much better than of the 18-55 from what I found
4. Does pixel shift help this specific lens' apparent resolution? Don't have that lens. I did comparison shots with the 18-135 and I could easily see improvement.
5. How is the WB accuracy on the K-70 in daylight or cloudy? YMMV - Seems good to me
6. Could I expect aperture block failure within the first 3K shots? I have over 3k shots and have not experienced it.
02-15-2019, 02:10 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I have a k-3 and I own the 18-50 SMC and the 18-135. I bought the 18-50 to see if thus would give me a dslr option that was lighter than what I had.

In practice I always prefer to take other lenses (often the 18-135), so the 18-50 sits on a shelf. There's nothing wrong with the iq, I just find the weight size isn't worth the trade in range.
Good to know.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
No Usb charging. I'd estimate around 400 shots typically, so probably less in temperatures that cold.

I'd go for the 18-50mm if your priority is compactness. Here's a review you might find helpful:
HD vs. SMC Pentax-DA 18-50mm F4-5.6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Lastly, failure of the aperture actuator isn't something should expect, but it's definitely something warranty will help protect against (especially if you get a 2 year extension).
Many thanks, the review was. A bummer on the USB charging (especially since the GR has had this capability for a long time).

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I sold my 18-50. It’s a fine lens. I think it’s better than the 18-55, but I would always rather have the 18-135. I like the 16-50 or 16-85 paired with the 55-300 even more, but I do like the range of the 18-135 when traveling with only one lens.

A used 16-50 is super cheap these days. No reason not to just go for that. Yes it’s heavier, but it’s worth it.

I carry a spare battery. Should be fine all day with one spare.

Pentax’s auto WB is generally perfect. Shoot in raw and fix in post anyway, then you get the WB that works specifically for each shot.
Thanks for the input. I'd prefer an 18-135mm to (my review was one of the earlier ones for that lens). I've tried the 16-50 previously, just doesn't work for me and way too heavy for lugging for 5 days. Five days without power sources other than power banks. One of the reasons i'm also not likely taking the GM5.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Multiple AWB mode is what I use on K-3. It supposedly zones the image and uses different white balances on various sections. This in the past wasn't recognized by the raw converters. I'm unclear if any support it today but I still use it. I do adjust wb in a few shots in dxo but typically it is very minor and not required.
*Very* good to know. I still use LR 5.7 at present, which would be another thing I have to look at.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jondolar Quote
1. Does the K-70 do USB charging? Nope.
2. Realistically, how many shots am I going to get from a battery in ~15C weather with no use of video, and mainly through the viewfinder. Either one shot at a time, or a time-lapse? 400+ More if just raw or jpg
3. I've read the reviews here. How do people find the above lens? Especially compared to the 18-55 WR, and 18-135? More interested in far field and curvature at distance, mid apertures, low ISO. Metering? I have the 18-135. The reviews of this lens are much better than of the 18-55 from what I found
4. Does pixel shift help this specific lens' apparent resolution? Don't have that lens. I did comparison shots with the 18-135 and I could easily see improvement.
5. How is the WB accuracy on the K-70 in daylight or cloudy? YMMV - Seems good to me
6. Could I expect aperture block failure within the first 3K shots? I have over 3k shots and have not experienced it.
Thanks for your input. That's what I figured, but good to know.

02-15-2019, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

There are aftermarket USB chargers for Pentax

amazon.com : Newmowa D-Li109 Replacement Battery (2-Pack) and Dual USB Charger for Pentax D-LI109 and Pentax K-r, K-30, K-50, K-500 : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&
02-15-2019, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #9

I agree with a lot of the responses from everyone else, and will just chime in on certain items:

2. I typically shoot in warmer weather and exclusively in raw (and rarely with LV), and find I get slightly less than 400+ shots. I do find the genuine Pentax batteries to provide more shots than the after-market brand I bought.
3. The 18-135mm spends the most time on my K-70, and by a wide margin, compared to my other lenses. (Second would be the 55-300mm PLM.) Considering all factors and to maximize flexibility, I use the lens extensively when traveling. I find it's just a good, all-around "balanced" lens.
6. I have had my K-70 for just about two years, and am at around 6k shots...all good so far! (Knock on wood.)

Good luck!
02-15-2019, 08:46 PM   #10

Which route are you hiking in May? For most areas here the rainy season doesn't start until june - unless you are right down in southern Kyushu or Okinawa. So in which case you might not have to worry too much about humidity at that time.
02-16-2019, 04:12 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alnjpn Quote
Which route are you hiking in May? For most areas here the rainy season doesn't start until june - unless you are right down in southern Kyushu or Okinawa. So in which case you might not have to worry too much about humidity at that time.
Looking at (more challenging parts of) the Kumano Kodo, south-west of Osaka, which is shaping up to be a fun trip! We were looking at further north, but my friend and me are flying from different parts of the world and want to maximise the time in the back country.

You are correct - it's a changeable time and we may be into summer without any sign of bad weather. Last time I visited was October, and we caught the tail end of a typhoon.

Edit: Just saw your location

---------- Post added 02-16-2019 at 06:17 PM ----------

Thanks for this. Very helpful.

QuoteOriginally posted by rickc118 Quote
I agree with a lot of the responses from everyone else, and will just chime in on certain items:

2. I typically shoot in warmer weather and exclusively in raw (and rarely with LV), and find I get slightly less than 400+ shots. I do find the genuine Pentax batteries to provide more shots than the after-market brand I bought.
3. The 18-135mm spends the most time on my K-70, and by a wide margin, compared to my other lenses. (Second would be the 55-300mm PLM.) Considering all factors and to maximize flexibility, I use the lens extensively when traveling. I find it's just a good, all-around "balanced" lens.
6. I have had my K-70 for just about two years, and am at around 6k shots...all good so far! (Knock on wood.)

Good luck!
Many thanks. Yeah, the 18-135 is a very known and solid commodity. I also thought about taking another copy of the 16-45, another lens I know well and which is lighter (and IMO gives better results), but not weather-sealed and with a much larger filter on the front.
02-19-2019, 06:06 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have had my K-70 since December 24th. 2017, 13779 clicks so far, not worried about aperture block.
In relation to battery capacity, I just bought an extra battery. If more power is needed I can borrow the two batteries my daughter has for her K-S2
Since I do a lot of astrophotography, I needed a "power pack", not something I intend to carry around.
It's a 2 cell/7,4V 8000mAh LiPo battery with a D-LI109 DC adapter bought on eBay: Battery D-LI109 Peplacement AC Power Adapter DC Coupler D-DC128 for Pentax | eBay

Sorry about the orientation of the Photo, It's ok when/if you read this on an iPhone/iPad.
02-21-2019, 06:52 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Hi, All
Looking at options for a trip to Japan in May for through-hiking (at least 5 days). I am currently spoilt by having an X-T20 and 16-50 kit, and a Panasonic GM5 and 12-60 kit lens (422g for the pair!). These are light options, and in the case of the 12-60, water resistant. My alternates are an X-T2 with the 16-80, but that may not be ready, and is significantly more expensive. Also the Nikon Z6 and 24-70 ($$$$). I have also considered picking up an EM5 mark II for the high-res and pair it with the 12-60.

However, I know that it is extremely likely to rain there in May and need weather-sealing. I want to keep things as light as possible (preferably 900g or less). That means a 1 lens wide to moderate tele solution. My GR will be backup.
I am no stranger to Pentax, but do not currently have any gear (last cam was K-5IIs, but I had 4 generations of bodies from 2006, have used most of the modern Pentax lenses). I am aware of the video situation. The feature set on the K-70 does look great for the money. I know what the AF situation looks like - this is fine.

Looking at the K-70 and 18-50. Prefer the HD version for the better colour and flare performance, and quiet AF. I would also consider the KP, as it looks a lot like the K-7 and K-5IIs. Use cases are landscapes, travelogue style photos (group hiking envionmental portraits) and detail (flowers, shrines, etc.).

Questions:
1. Does the K-70 do USB charging?
2. Realistically, how many shots am I going to get from a battery in ~15C weather with no use of video, and mainly through the viewfinder. Either one shot at a time, or a time-lapse?
3. I've read the reviews here. How do people find the above lens? Especially compared to the 18-55 WR, and 18-135? More interested in far field and curvature at distance, mid apertures, low ISO. Metering?
4. Does pixel shift help this specific lens' apparent resolution?
5. How is the WB accuracy on the K-70 in daylight or cloudy?
6. Could I expect aperture block failure within the first 3K shots?

Input welcome, and thank you in advance.
QuoteOriginally posted by DrawsACircle Quote
I have had my K-70 since December 24th. 2017, 13779 clicks so far, not worried about aperture block.
In relation to battery capacity, I just bought an extra battery. If more power is needed I can borrow the two batteries my daughter has for her K-S2
Since I do a lot of astrophotography, I needed a "power pack", not something I intend to carry around.
It's a 2 cell/7,4V 8000mAh LiPo battery with a D-LI109 DC adapter bought on eBay: Battery D-LI109 Peplacement AC Power Adapter DC Coupler D-DC128 for Pentax | eBay

Sorry about the orientation of the Photo, It's ok when/if you read this on an iPhone/iPad.
Just thought I would add to this thread for those interested, the K-70 did have an AC adapter but seems it has been discontinued. I posted a review on it in this forum with a link to one I just bought for my K-70.

Word to the wise if you are doing "Time Lapse" or "Interval shooting" COVER THE VIEWFINDER stray light had me chasing my tail for a bit!

Here is the link for the AC adapter, also has European plug! Pentax K-AC168 (AC adapter for the K-70) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Last edited by SharkyCA; 02-21-2019 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Multiple dup links