Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2019, 08:01 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
thanks all for your advice I think I've found a solution and will buy this weekend unless there is something drastically bad about this that you guys might know.

Metz 26 AF-2 DIGITAL Pentax. Seems to be simple enough and from reading the links sent by you all its probably all I need at the minute, its compact has a bounce and is more powerful than the built in one. Getting it for half price as a store in the UK has it on clearance so seems to fit the bill.

02-23-2019, 08:16 PM - 2 Likes   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
.....I believe there is a godox of similar size only 2 'aa' batteries but do not know the model.
Godox TT350-P

Godox TT350P - PentaxForums.com
GODOX PHOTO EQUIPMENT CO.,LTD TT350P
Godox TT350P Mini Thinklite TTL Flash for Pentax Cameras TT350P

Mind you it does have a slower refresh time at higher power. Other than that, it's a great little flash. Also around $50 to $70 less than the other two mentioned.
02-23-2019, 08:20 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Navmaxlp Quote
Godox TT350-P
nice could not think of it.....believe it also has HSS capabilities.....reckon I could just read the link....
02-23-2019, 08:30 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Navmaxlp Quote
Godox TT350-P

Godox TT350P - PentaxForums.com
GODOX PHOTO EQUIPMENT CO.,LTD TT350P
Godox TT350P Mini Thinklite TTL Flash for Pentax Cameras TT350P

Mind you it does have a slower refresh time at higher power. Other than that, it's a great little flash. Also around $50 to $70 less than the other two mentioned.
well that's put the cat amongst the pigeons same price as the Metz not many stockists in The UK seems to only be amazon thought I was set on the Metz

Metz mecablitz 26 AF-1 Quick Review: Digital Photography Review

02-23-2019, 09:35 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by luckylu Quote
well that's put the cat amongst the pigeons same price as the Metz not many stockists in The UK seems to only be amazon thought I was set on the Metz

Metz mecablitz 26 AF-1 Quick Review: Digital Photography Review
It's easily controlled with the Xpro-P as well. The TT350 has a built in receiver. No need to mount on anything if using off camera. That being said, you would likely only be using as fill or background lighting but still. Nice to have the trigger built in.
02-24-2019, 02:11 PM   #21
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with @Navmaxlp - get the Godox TT350P. Like the Metz, it's light-weight, compact and affordable and useful for outdoor fill-flash. The crucial difference for your requirements is that the Godox has tilt and swivel: that is, the head twists around to point in almost any direction. The Metz can only tilt up and down. Tilt and swivel gives you the ability to bounce the flash beam off the walls (or some other surface) and not just off the ceiling, which is crucial to getting a softer, more diffused, light on the subject. The Godox also has a higher maximum output (which means, amongst other things, that you can bounce in a bigger room) and a number of features that you might use as you develop your flash skills (like HSS, manual control and built-in wireless for off-camera use with an XProP or another Godox flash).

Honestly just the simple expedient of bouncing the flash from more surfaces will make a big difference to the quality of the exposure. Have a look at these articles from Neil van Niekerk:
Bounce flash photography tutorial
bounce flash photography - be bold!
How to bounce your flash

In this video, van Niekerk tests a lot of diffusers for an indoor on-camera flash. The best results? No diffuser, just bouncing the bare flash pointed behind him.

Better still, use directional bounced flash with a flag (like the flag that @mcgregni demonstrates in the page linked above). Van Niekerk demonstrates this with his "Black Foamie Thing" (a piece of black card strapped to the flash) in the last couple of minutes of the video.
02-24-2019, 02:44 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK I'm convinced the Godox it is!

I really appreciate the advice I've received from everyone. The Godox seems to have more room to grow as well as being really simple and at a good price. Bounce swivel sold it as well as the features which I may not use right away but potentially later on Thanks to all ordered it through amazon.

02-25-2019, 12:54 AM   #23
Veteran Member

No! Use bounce, swivel and a flag straight away .... The first thing you do.
03-08-2019, 04:55 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luckylu Quote
OK I'm convinced the Godox it is!

I really appreciate the advice I've received from everyone. The Godox seems to have more room to grow as well as being really simple and at a good price. Bounce swivel sold it as well as the features which I may not use right away but potentially later on Thanks to all ordered it through amazon.
After reading all the posts here and researching for a year I too have ordered the Godox TT350-P. Found a deal on E-Bay for 2 heads w an x-pro trigger for a good price, should get them soon, waiting anxiously!

Got them!

Last edited by SharkyCA; 04-16-2019 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Add Image link