Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2019, 05:41 AM   #16
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mccririck Quote
what are the best spare batteries to get?
Was gonna say fully charged ones... but I guess that's not the correct answer then.

04-07-2019, 06:00 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had good luck with Wasabi and Watson but prefer Pentax OEM. I have not attempted to measure this, so it could all be in my head, but over years of use, I feel the OEM Pentax batteries hold the charge better with age. It could be completely in my head because I want to feel good about paying the extra bucks.... I will say that all of the batteries are still fully usable and reliable and I have them in a rotation so they are all used and charged the same number of times. They are mixed, so when I go grab the next battery out of the lineup, It could be any of the three brands, so it's totally random as to what happens to be in either camera - their use is split between my K3II and K1 II.
04-07-2019, 07:22 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Where possible, such as with my K30, I opt for AA's instead of proprietary batteries. My favorites for that purpose are Eneloops or Amazon Basics rechargeables or if I have to go with disposable batteries, Enegizer Lithiums are my go-to.
04-07-2019, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
Where possible, such as with my K30, I opt for AA's instead of proprietary batteries. My favorites for that purpose are Eneloops or Amazon Basics rechargeables or if I have to go with disposable batteries, Enegizer Lithiums are my go-to.
Part of why I started my daughter off in the dSLR range with a K-r is that it came with 2 AA adapters. One of the smartest things Pentax did was make our cameras able to run on AAs in a pinch. Keeping up with proprietary batteries and making sure you have one charged is a real bottleneck for many people when they go to use their dSLR. Eventually many stop and just rely on their phone because the batteries are not ready on the spur of the moment. AAs are always available and ready!

04-07-2019, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
D-LI109 PREMIUM Replacement Rechargeable Camera Battery from Dot.Foto

I took a punt on this from Amazon UK £7.49 Bought it in November and so far can't really tell the difference between it and the Pentax one which came with my K-70.
04-07-2019, 09:53 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Depends on the camera? I have a K70 and the Pentax battery is OK but I really would not want a lot less shots from the batteries. I have 2 wasabi batteries and now one will only give 50 shots and the other around 150. I went out and bought OEM Pentax instead worth the extra cost.

Now my K5-K01 I do have "bigmikes" and "este" lose a few shots from these and it goes un noticed due to getting lots of shots per battery and never really counting after a while.

For my Olympus cameras I have some "upstart" batteries and I would rate them as just plain trash, with a mirrorless stick to the OEM stuff.
04-07-2019, 10:49 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have 2 Pentax OEM and 4 Wasabi batteries I use in a K50 and K70, and frankly can't tell any differences among them. I get at least 5-600 shots or more out of each one. They all hold their charge well for a month or more when stored. I use them in rotation so I don't constantly keep using the same battery. One thing I did that helps was to number them on the edge opposite the contacts with a bright colored fingernail polish, 0-5 small dots. You can immediately see which one is in the camera, then grab the next higher number when a change is needed. Also, I really like the Wasabi charger. It has the ability to charge both brands in a vehicle via a 12v plug, as well as AC power. Takes an hour or two to fully charge a depleted battery.

04-07-2019, 12:06 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
The Wasabi batteries mentioned above were one of the lowest rated batteries in this study.
I have one Wasabi and two Pentax (*) batteries for my KP. I've noticed that when I use my Watson charger {which I like because it gives me a running measure of battery charge in %}, the Pentax batteries charge until 100% and then goes into idle, while with the Wasabi battery the charger shuts off around 95%. Over an entire week, my usage is low enough that I never completely drain even two batteries so that is not an issue for me, but even so, it is something I've noticed.

I got the Wasabi battery because Wasabi and Pentax batteries for my Q-7 behave exactly the same on that same charger.

(*) I have one that came with my K-30 {I've been using AA batteries with it} and one that came with the KP
04-07-2019, 02:07 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I think that the brand names for the same batteries are probably different in different countries!

Nowadays I buy the "DSTE" branded versions of the D-Li90 and D-Li109 from Amazon, and I have found them very good, maybe not quite as good as the PENTAX OEM versions, but perfectly acceptable given that they cost around a tenth of the Pentax prices.

I wonder what brand name(s) they carry in other countries?
04-07-2019, 02:24 PM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
Have to wonder how Pentax sell any of their own branded batteries at the prices they charge
04-07-2019, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Have to wonder how Pentax sell any of their own branded batteries at the prices they charge
There are a lot of people that will only use the battery that came with the camera. There are a lot that will only buy OEM for their camera. Me, I value a great cost/benefit ratio higher than the sicker on the back of the battery. 80% the benefit for 15% the cost works for me. Others have different equations they use to make their decisions.
04-07-2019, 06:04 PM   #27
Pentaxian

One time I was able to purchase a Pentax branded battery for my Q-7 from a Japanese merchant at a fraction of the US price.
04-16-2019, 04:25 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I have another question. Is it safe to store your spare battery clicked into the charger? Asking because I read that you shouldn't store batteries in the AA adapter. Thanks!
06-20-2019, 02:47 PM   #29
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mblanc Quote
I have another question. Is it safe to store your spare battery clicked into the charger? Asking because I read that you shouldn't store batteries in the AA adapter. Thanks!
It should be fine, as long as you don't leave it plugged in more than a few hours after it's fully charged.

---------- Post added 06-20-19 at 05:54 PM ----------

As far as third party, just tested a new Watson battery for my K-70. Works just as well as the OEM battery. Also bought the matching Watson charger. If I bought another Pentax battery and charger, it would have cost me $61 more. We'll see how this plays out for me in the long run as my K-70 is new.
06-21-2019, 01:33 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by doc_taz_nj Quote
It should be fine, as long as you don't leave it plugged in more than a few hours after it's fully charged.. .
Also, be careful with any charger where the indicator LED stays on after it is unplugged (or the mains supply is switched off at the socket/outlet) with the battery still in it as that will gradually discharge the latter. Not seen that with any of my (mainly genuine) chargers for Pentax batteries, but It does happen with a rechargeable workshop lamp which is left connected to the charger in those situations.