Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2019, 05:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Questions about HDR, Clarity, Anti Aliasing Simulator

Hello,

My wife just got me a K-70 to replace my "on its last legs" K-x. I started using it yesterday, and I've run into a few questions about features that didn't exist on the K-x:

1) HDR Auto-Align: I believe that the purpose of this is to allow you to shoot HDR without a tripod (all it says in the manual is something to the effect of "check if you want to use auto-align"). I found a few forum threads where people ask if there is any reason NOT to use this, but I couldn't find any threads where the question was answered. So iIm asking again - apologize if I missed it.
2) I am assuming that Clarity and Skin Tone don't do anything if you shoot Raw? Kind of like Custom image settings?
3) I've been reading a lot about the Anti Aliasing simulator, and I notice that the U3 Astrophoto mode has this turned on. I'm curious, are there any other examples of when i would want to use this? I don't understand the concept of moire, but I'd really like something like"AA simulator is handy for.."

Thanks

04-08-2019, 05:40 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mblanc Quote
3) I've been reading a lot about the Anti Aliasing simulator, and I notice that the U3 Astrophoto mode has this turned on. I'm curious, are there any other examples of when i would want to use this? I don't understand the concept of moire, but I'd really like something like"AA simulator is handy for.."
Here are some comparative examples:
Pentax K-3 Review - Moire | PentaxForums.com Reviews

If you do experience moire, the hardware AA filter simulator is very effective in eliminating it. At other times, keeping it off will maximize sharpness.

2) I am assuming that Clarity and Skin Tone don't do anything if you shoot Raw? Kind of like Custom image settings?

These are slightly more involved filters, and they add a good amount of processing time (1-2 seconds where your camera is locked up) to each frame. I recommend keeping them off most of the time, and applying them in post if needed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-08-2019, 05:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

HDR auto align works, and even has something mysterious going on. Three frames are triggered, yet movement can go undetected. (I have some interesting examples that I can't find right now to post).
04-09-2019, 06:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks! This information is very helpful. But I'm still wondering about Auto-Align. Will it hurt anything to have Auto-Align on if I am using a tripod?

04-20-2019, 06:46 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

My wife just got me a K-70 to replace my "on its last legs" K-x. I started using it yesterday, and I've run into a few questions about features that didn't exist on the K-x:

1) HDR Auto-Align: I believe that the purpose of this is to allow you to shoot HDR without a tripod (all it says in the manual is something to the effect of "check if you want to use auto-align"). I found a few forum threads where people ask if there is any reason NOT to use this, but I couldn't find any threads where the question was answered. So iIm asking again - apologize if I missed it.

Thanks
I got my K-70 in Sept 2017, shortly after I purchased a K-70 e-book from this forum, chalk full of answers and I highly recommend it!
written by Yvonn Bourque

Pentax Forums E-book Purchase
Attached Images