Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 18
Over- exposure

Has anyone had their K-70 seemingly constantly over-expose by a stop? Or is there a deeply hidden setting that is causing this? (+/- exposure dial is in neutral position)

04-13-2019, 01:24 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 48,342
What metering mode are you in?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-13-2019, 02:02 PM   #3
New Member




Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 18
Original Poster
AE Metering: Full screen

Dynamic range:
highlight correction Auto
Shadow correction: Auto



---------- Post added 04-13-19 at 09:34 PM ----------

Thinking about your point of Exposure. Quite a lot of my pictures are of boats, which tend to be large areas of white (single boat) or lots of boats (lots of white across the picture). Or in areas where boats are found (sun, water, bright subjects)
04-13-2019, 04:17 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,881
QuoteOriginally posted by mlines Quote
AE Metering: Full screen
Do you mean Matrix metering ?

QuoteOriginally posted by mlines Quote
Quite a lot of my pictures are of boats, which tend to be large areas of white
large areas of white in a picture will lead to under exposure.

Post some examples, may help.

04-14-2019, 05:21 AM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2008
Location: Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 262
I'll take a shot here. When your using full matrix metering the white boats or bright areas are blown out? Correct? Full matrix metering gives an average exposure for everything in the photo so the darker areas are having the opposite effect on exposure, try center weighted average or spot metering so the camera doesn't meter off the subject. This is a common problem in tricky light but is easily solved by telling the camera what you want properly exposed
04-14-2019, 07:10 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 507
Shooting raw or JPEG?

What happens when you turn off the auto correction for shadow and highlights?

If shooting in raw is the image truly overexposed (clipped) or just too bright in your editor?

What editor are you using as this will make a difference to the initial rendering of raw files
04-14-2019, 09:35 AM   #7
New Member




Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 18
Original Poster
I am shooting in RAW and using Corel Aftershot pro.

I think bschriver11 is probably on the right path as they are blown out and I am using full matrix metering in the belief that it was the best for getting all round exposure, but perhaps my common usage is too challenging for it.

In each of these the RAW is the first (but changed to JPG with no correction in order to make the size manageable, I know its not accurate but it shows the effect I see in the raw)
The second is where I would have liked the detail in the whites to have been.

Perhaps I am expecting too much from the camera and will have to cover in post processing








04-14-2019, 10:39 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 507
QuoteOriginally posted by mlines Quote
I am shooting in RAW and using Corel Aftershot pro.

I think bschriver11 is probably on the right path as they are blown out and I am using full matrix metering in the belief that it was the best for getting all round exposure, but perhaps my common usage is too challenging for it.

In each of these the RAW is the first (but changed to JPG with no correction in order to make the size manageable, I know its not accurate but it shows the effect I see in the raw)
The second is where I would have liked the detail in the whites to have been.

Perhaps I am expecting too much from the camera and will have to cover in post processing
None of the images as presented appears to be blown in fact they may be somewhat under exposed, although I could not say for sure without access to the raw

The first image of the boat obviously appears too light but that is not to say that it is 'blown' or 'overexposed' your edit has taken care of that. Blown/clipped/overexposure would not allow any recovery of highlight detail as it has gone to or over 100% saturation

The other images I also suspect are not blown but this is an editing and possibly viewing issue. Have you calibrated your monitor? Reason I ask is that the edits in particular look a tad on the dark side viewing on a calibrated system

I suspect from what you have posted so far that the camera is fine (you will need to apply sensible correction per image in any metering mode) but it is your expectation of a raw converter that is too much. Generally you will have to work at a raw image to give a presentation similar to a SOOC JPEG and how your particular raw editor renders the image data will also have a bearing on the first impressions. As I said I suspect no overexposure for these files but would be happy to double check if you want to post or pm a link to a raw that you feel is overexposed/blown

04-14-2019, 11:49 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2014
Location: Springhill Nova Scotia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 234
QuoteOriginally posted by TonyW Quote
None of the images as presented appears to be blown in fact they may be somewhat under exposed, although I could not say for sure without access to the raw

The first image of the boat obviously appears too light but that is not to say that it is 'blown' or 'overexposed' your edit has taken care of that. Blown/clipped/overexposure would not allow any recovery of highlight detail as it has gone to or over 100% saturation

The other images I also suspect are not blown but this is an editing and possibly viewing issue. Have you calibrated your monitor? Reason I ask is that the edits in particular look a tad on the dark side viewing on a calibrated system

I suspect from what you have posted so far that the camera is fine (you will need to apply sensible correction per image in any metering mode) but it is your expectation of a raw converter that is too much. Generally you will have to work at a raw image to give a presentation similar to a SOOC JPEG and how your particular raw editor renders the image data will also have a bearing on the first impressions. As I said I suspect no overexposure for these files but would be happy to double check if you want to post or pm a link to a raw that you feel is overexposed/blown
I can second what TonyW says, the first shots look OK to me and the second shots are darker. For quite some time I had to edit using a laptop and screen brightness depended on the angle of the screen to my view. I have just built my self a new PC and for a while I was darkening my photos and all along it was my monitor needing to be re-calibrated,
04-14-2019, 11:54 AM   #10
New Member




Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 18
Original Poster
The second shots are deliberately darker to show where I think the white exposure should be so yes the rest will be dark.

I just have a domestic grade pc so the monitor is not calibrated.

I will post a link to the rates once they upload, my internet bandwidth is low

04-14-2019, 12:23 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 507
QuoteOriginally posted by mlines Quote
The second shots are deliberately darker to show where I think the white exposure should be so yes the rest will be dark.

I just have a domestic grade pc so the monitor is not calibrated.

I will post a link to the rates once they upload, my internet bandwidth is low
I think that one part of your problem may be monitor luminence too high which will lead you to overcompensate with your editing.


There is no real white point in any image that you are showing (they are grey) but even though we are looking at JPEG rendering where a load of image data has been discarded from the raw there still remains a lot of detail in highlights

Hope you are OK with this but just taken one image and shown the original, your edit and my very quick edit to something like normal contrast and density. You will see from the histogram representation that the first image low contrast, second edit made first worse and final edit closer (but no cigar!) to a more normal rendition. I suspect that you may feel that the last one too light but this I think is really a matter of too high monitor luminence.

You could if you want work by the numbers to confirm. Mouse over an area that should be white and that value should show high RGB values approaching 255 - the exact amount will be down to your prefernce.

It not the end of the world to not have a calibrated monitor but if you want to get a truer view of your image data then you may wish to have a look at manually tuning your monitor taking note of the recommendations on this site
LCD monitor test images
It will help you get closer to an accurate view and also means that others viewing your images with calibrated systems will have a chance on seeing what you are seeing

I have loaded a second image that shows clearly that there is plenty of detail in the lightest area of the image (even this JPEG) and the lightest part that I have deliberately taken to clipping point is a tiny area on the bow of the boat.
Attached Images
   
04-14-2019, 12:25 PM   #12
New Member




Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 18
Original Poster
The RAW is now uploading. I think where I am coming from is also to do with the simple mobile phone image, taken at the same time. I know it is JPG and also has been processed by the phone but I feel the camera almost did not cope as well

Phone image



Cross posted with TonyW message!

---------- Post added 04-14-19 at 07:34 PM ----------

Original is now uploaded

https://www.sportsboat.org.uk/images/junkpictures/IMGP2029.DNG

---------- Post added 04-14-19 at 07:39 PM ----------

Tony,

Thanks for publishing that. As I said the "my edit" was not an edit, it was a blunt play with exposure to show the level of detail I had expecting in the white (but not the brightness) It looks like I have to play more with the correction within my editing software to get it right. As i mentioned above, just surprised at how my phone processed it better.

Last edited by mlines; 04-14-2019 at 12:30 PM.
04-14-2019, 01:06 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 507
This raw image shows zero signs of being overexposed with absolutely no white point clipping anywhere. DNG brought into ACR and also checked in RawDigger.

The indications are that it was exposed close to optimal and could have probably had another 1/3 to 2/3 stop increase before any significant clipping - the meter did a good job!

So the good news is that camera metering system likely to be ok and working to spec. and you just need to double check your monitor brightness and modify your processing - if in doubt go by the numbers for neutrals and white points
Attached Images
 
04-14-2019, 01:15 PM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 940
Due to shooting a lot of theater dance performances, I long ago gave up on camera meters and learned to use Manual Exposure. It really isn't hard. I use Sunny 16 as an anchor and adjust exposure, using histogram as feedback. Your best friend is reading Bryan Petersen's "Understanding Exposure". And often I let backgrounds blowout like windows in a dance studio so the dancer is properly exposed. Manual is full control, Auto Modes are maybe.


Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 04-14-2019 at 02:51 PM. Reason: add photo
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
auto, boats, correction, exposure, image, k-70, k70, lots, pentax k-70, phone, pm, post
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature First attempt at digital over exposure on purpose Asgardian Post Your Photos! 13 01-29-2019 06:33 PM
over exposure k 100 D dorightjaq Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 08-28-2018 04:04 AM
Low-Light One way to avoid over-exposure with LED stage lights aaacb Photographic Technique 10 06-05-2018 11:09 PM
Over exposure with M42 lenses lotech Pentax K-3 12 01-29-2018 12:07 AM
K-S2 perpetual over-exposure? AyeYo Pentax K-S1 & K-S2 14 01-01-2018 07:22 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:54 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top