Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
04-20-2019, 01:24 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
is the K-70 likely to get another firmware update?

I'm guessing not as it hasn't been updated in ages...

04-20-2019, 02:37 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mccririck Quote
Are you considering using your K70 with the D-FA*50 AW or HD-FA35 f2 ?
04-20-2019, 04:20 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Generally, non-flagship DSLRs get few, if any, feature-enhancing updates. However, they do receive any updates to add compatibility for the latest lenses or accessories as they are released, and as needed. That said, this doesn't mean that every time there's a new lens, a new update is necessary.

Since the K-70 is a current model, I'd expect updates to continue down this path as needed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-20-2019, 05:18 AM   #4
Pentaxian

On previous form, the most likely forecast should be that Pentax would be a non-runner in the firmware update stakes, but what odds would you give?

Philip

04-20-2019, 08:14 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It being such a geriatric model, that sounds dire.

The last update is v1.11 (August 2017). What updates would you expect that would be highly desirable beyond the feature set of the camera?

Steve
04-20-2019, 08:39 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It being such a geriatric model, that sounds dire.

The last update is v1.11 (August 2017). What updates would you expect that would be highly desirable beyond the feature set of the camera?

Steve
I have no idea to be honest. Focus improvements? Perhaps people could make suggestions.
04-20-2019, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I have no idea to be honest. Focus improvements? Perhaps people could make suggestions.
K-70 is a consumer level camera. I would be surprised if they do anything other than bug fixes unless it is a direct and easy port of something they develop for another project.

note: I'm also not expecting anything further for my KP.

04-21-2019, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

You seem like a Fuji guy
04-21-2019, 10:49 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
You seem like a Fuji guy
I might be if I had more money! 😁

To be honest I think Ricoh are missing a trick, it would be a good way of keeping people with the brand and also attracting people over.
04-21-2019, 10:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian

To be honest I think Ricoh are missing a trick, it would be a good way of keeping people with the brand and also attracting people over.
Recent improvements have required new hardware - such as the Pentax 'accelerator', and recent KAF4 lenses - so Pentax is making good steps to keep current users at the brand and attract to users to it.
04-21-2019, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I might be if I had more money! ��

There is a small contingent of MILC fans here on PF that sing the firmware update song fairly frequently here. The usual phrase goes, "X can be done with only a simple firmware fix..." followed a few sentences later by "Panasonic/Fuji are particularly good at providing value added features as firmware updates several times a year" (or something like that). My standard answer is that Pentax cameras are generally feature complete at time of release, unlike some other brands.

That being said, there may be a few other reasons related to the differences between MILC and dSLRs. Most of the functionality of a Pentax dSLR is provided by the choice of main controller chipset and the controllers built into essential components (sensor, shutter, mirror, AF drive, SR, etc.). Most of the high level firmware on our cameras rely on scripted "hooks" directed at specific features exposed by the component vendors and/or deeper levels of flashed code while I suspect that most MILCs operate using something closer to an embedded operating system handling multiple functions directly. This last is similar to a cell phone.

If the Milbeaut controller in my K-3 does not support 4K video or electronic shutter, even the best attempt at a firmware feature upgrade cannot provide such without a change in hardware. No, we can't support an accessory shoe mounted EVF with just a simple firmware update.

Steve
04-21-2019, 12:20 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
I think Fuji like to keep their customers happy.
04-21-2019, 01:16 PM   #13
Pentaxian

If the Milbeaut controller in my K-3 does not support 4K video or electronic shutter, even the best attempt at a firmware feature upgrade cannot provide such without a change in hardware. No, we can't support an accessory shoe mounted EVF with just a simple firmware update.
My KP does support Electronic Shutter, but I don't know what it needed in order to do that {it also does various other things the K-3 doesn't}, but I can think of very few cases I would want to use it. Using my Q-7 with adapted lenses has given me plenty of experience with the downsides of ES.
04-21-2019, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I think Fuji like to keep their customers happy.
That strategy appears to work, though I really don't know why. The features added were likely on the original specification but were probably deferred to allow early product release and additional testing.* The gimmick is to trick the buyers into thinking they are getting value added at regular intervals until the replacement model is announced when in reality, they get less for their money in the early months of ownership.

Pentax tends to not add too many features after release and almost never migrates such down to non-active models. My K-3 only had one after it was sundowned, that being KAF4 support. I would have liked the night-sight status display scheme at some point, but that was never granted. Features we did get while the camera was still an active flagship product:
  • In-body diffraction correction for select Pentax lenses
  • ISO bracketing in TAv mode
  • Anti-alias filter emulation bracketing
  • Longer time for enlarged live view display
Woo...Hoo...

In case it is not obvious, Pentax seldom pushes features to non-flagship models unless needed for new product support. Sooooo...what features are KP owners waiting for that they hoped would be added in a firmware update?

Steve

* I write software and late feature release due to instability or bugs is common in the industry.

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-29-2019 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Got my models straight
04-21-2019, 01:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

My standard answer is that Pentax cameras are generally feature complete at time of release, unlike some other brands.
All brands release feature complete products.

I might be if I had more money! ��
I like both my k-s1 and x100