Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2020, 08:16 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there any news that Pentax finally solved the issue with K-70?

Got a good deal for a new one - but black exposures is a dealbreaker for me.

05-30-2020, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Jr Quote
Is there any news that Pentax finally solved the issue with K-70?

Got a good deal for a new one - but black exposures is a dealbreaker for me.
No-one knows. Evidence seems to suggest that far fewer K-70 cameras fail than K-30 and K-50 cameras, but it could be because they're newer and not because the part has been modified.
05-31-2020, 04:16 AM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
No-one knows. Evidence seems to suggest that far fewer K-70 cameras fail than K-30 and K-50 cameras, but it could be because they're newer and not because the part has been modified.
OK - as I feared then.
Thx for the answer!
05-31-2020, 05:35 AM   #34
Pentaxian

My K-70, doubtless like the vast majority of others, is totally problem-free after 18 months and 23K+ exposures.
There'll be the odd one or two examples of any production run by any manufacturer that fail, for whatever reason. If I allowed statistics like that to worry me I'd still be using film with a separate selenium light meter ... the Spotmatic is in the cupboard, so's the Weston 'meter

06-27-2020, 01:16 AM   #35

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seems the eBay seller still sells them!
06-27-2020, 04:29 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tord Quote
Seems the eBay seller still sells them!
???
Do you mean the solenoid?
07-16-2020, 06:48 AM   #37

Well I'm getting my K70 back from the UK Service Center (John Pye) with a replaced solenoid.
They wouldn't cover it under warranty: I bought it via an international seller who provided a 1 year warranty only and it failed a little more than a year after I got it. Just hope that it never fails again!

07-16-2020, 09:41 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Let Steve Brot know, he still doesn't want to believe it is the solenoid:
K-70 Underexposed Photo Reports - Page 8 - PentaxForums.com
08-01-2020, 05:07 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K-70, which I purchased used last year with only 96 shutter actuations, is developing the dreaded aperture failure issue. My K-S2 had the same issue so I'm well aware of the symptoms. It's just starting. First image is dark and if the camera sits for a few hours the first image is dark again. Examples below. After I send this out for repair I'll sell it as soon as I get it back and buy a K-3ii or KP. They clearly (IMO) have not solved this issue and I would avoid this camera, or any using this mechanism, like the plague in the future. You know I've got a K2000 I bought in 2009 and it has never failed me. I'm very disappointed in Pentax.

08-02-2020, 04:45 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This is of course disappointing, my own K-70 developed this problem as well.

But you know how to repair it, just this time use the prober soldering-iron with a pencil-tip.
It is more or less the same work as with the K-S2, maybe you dare one more time and do it right. I am sure you have ability for it, you do other work which is actually more complicated.

Just don't use a soldering-gun with gas anymore!
08-02-2020, 05:11 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
This is of course disappointing, my own K-70 developed this problem as well.

But you know how to repair it, just this time use the prober soldering-iron with a pencil-tip.
It is more or less the same work as with the K-S2, maybe you dare one more time and do it right. I am sure you have ability for it, you do other work which is actually more complicated.

Just don't use a soldering-gun with gas anymore!
I did get a better soldering station...electric with adjustable temp and fine point changeable tips. I tested it and the very tip was able to flow solder. I'm debating whether to try this repair again or just send it out and sell it. After my failure with the K-S2 I'm a little gun-shy.

08-02-2020, 05:26 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
I did get a better soldering station...electric with adjustable temp and fine point changeable tips. I tested it and the very tip was able to flow solder. I'm debating whether to try this repair again or just send it out and sell it. After my failure with the K-S2 I'm a little gun-shy.
Well... the repair on your K-S2 with the gun was as it is called to crack a nut with a sledgehammer, or as we say:
To shoot sparrows with cannons (or was it Canons, can't remember....)

Anyway, if you do it, have a close look at this washer which some found left over on the K-S2 but as I have shown here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/184-pentax-k-s1-k-s2/399162-manual-solen...ml#post5050414
There was no washer with this K-S2. Strange!
08-02-2020, 10:09 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Well... the repair on your K-S2 with the gun was as it is called to crack a nut with a sledgehammer, or as we say:
To shoot sparrows with cannons (or was it Canons, can't remember....)

Anyway, if you do it, have a close look at this washer which some found left over on the K-S2 but as I have shown here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/184-pentax-k-s1-k-s2/399162-manual-solen...ml#post5050414
There was no washer with this K-S2. Strange!
Isn't that washer over the mic input hole? I don't think I had any parts left over on the K-S2, but I did have the lower screen hinge slip off and during reassembly I couldn't figure out where it came from...for a while. I've seen other ask the same question about that part. Once you realize what it is, it's easy to put back together.

08-02-2020, 10:39 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
Isn't that washer over the mic input hole? I don't think I had any parts left over on the K-S2, but I did have the lower screen hinge slip off and during reassembly I couldn't figure out where it came from...for a while. I've seen other ask the same question about that part. Once you realize what it is, it's easy to put back together.
There is for sure this black washer over the microphone input (which I mention in my tutorial).
If it is a white K-S2, the washer is white.
I also know about this part for the lower screen hinge, it can come off.

But this copper-washer (brass-coloured from another person), no idea, it wasn't there on this K-S2 I repaired nor on the others in past times.
08-05-2020, 04:34 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well my K-70 is no longer usable (except with lenses with aperture rings). Every picture I tried to shoot was black. Even firing of 15-20 frames didn't fix it. I order the white solenoid and I'm replacing it myself and, assuming I'm successful, selling this POS. I'm either going to get a KP when the new APC-S flagship comes out (assuming a drop in KP prices) or I'll get a K-3ii. I'm done with Pentaxes bottom of the line. I'll guess I'll shoot more film the rest of the summer.