Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2019, 03:21 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 4
K-70 with 18-135mm for less than $800?

Hi everyone, I am writing here (Hope to be in the right section) looking for some advices about the camera that could be my first DSLR. I think that the title Is
Self explanatory but in particular I found some months ago on a site a kit made of a K-70 with the 18-135mm lens for 690 (~$775). I didn't buy It and now the price is 750 (~$840). Anyway, the price rise in not the real problem here, in fact I want to ask you: do you think that this kind of kit and most of all choosing the k-70 for this price is still a good choice? I currently have a Helios M40 Lens from a Zenit that I know I could easily mount on a Pentax with an adapter, but then I do not have any other compatible lenses that could me make choose Pentax over other brands.

07-08-2019, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian
rogerstg's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Photos: Albums
Posts: 465
QuoteOriginally posted by peptheyep Quote
do you think that this kind of kit and most of all choosing the k-70 for this price is still a good choice?
It's a good kit choice for all around photography. The camera has advanced features, yet the menus and configuration make it easy for beginners to take good photos too.

---------- Post added 07-08-19 at 08:32 AM ----------

Re: the capabilities of the 18-135mm, check this thread
07-08-2019, 05:41 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
gump's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Canton, Ohio
Photos: Albums
Posts: 208
I have been using the K70 for over a year with the 18-55 kit, 16 mm rokinon, and 55-300 PLM. It has served very well for outdoor photography. It is my first DSLR and the learning curve was not too bad. Upon reflection (and money) I would have gone with the 18-135 based on reviews and opinions on this site.
07-08-2019, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
FozzFoster's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Alberta
Posts: 3,536
+1 for 18-135mm

07-08-2019, 08:54 AM   #5
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 4
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
It's a good kit choice for all around photography. The camera has advanced features, yet the menus and configuration make it easy for beginners to take good photos too.

---------- Post added 07-08-19 at 08:32 AM ----------

Re: the capabilities of the 18-135mm, check this thread

Thanks for the informations and the thread
07-08-2019, 09:38 AM   #6
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,059
QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
I have been using the K70 for over a year with the 18-55 kit, 16 mm rokinon, and 55-300 PLM. It has served very well for outdoor photography. It is my first DSLR and the learning curve was not too bad. Upon reflection (and money) I would have gone with the 18-135 based on reviews and opinions on this site.
I'd say go for it, I've had an 18-135 for many years now, at least 8, and it has been by far my most used lens. That being said, buy a DA 55-300 to compliment it. With those tow you're all set to start looking at primes, like the DAF 100 macro and DA* 55 1.4.

With those 4 lenses you can do just about anything.
07-08-2019, 09:53 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
pres589's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lawrence, KS
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,398
It sort of depends what a person wants to photograph, thought, as to how much the 55-300's would really be of benefit. As I never pick up my 50-200, the 18-135 is my longest lens, and I don't suffer for it. The K-70 seems very good in low light and the relative lack of speed offered by the 18-135 is probably nicely balanced out overall. There are some ultra-wide zooms or the DA 15 Ltd. and something like the DA 50 or one of the other 50ish mm lenses for portraits that I would rather pick up next after the K-70/18-135 kit. But first is to just use that combo a lot and really get experienced with it before getting more lenses.
07-08-2019, 02:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
gump's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Canton, Ohio
Photos: Albums
Posts: 208
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
It sort of depends what a person wants to photograph, thought, as to how much the 55-300's would really be of benefit. As I never pick up my 50-200, the 18-135 is my longest lens, and I don't suffer for it. The K-70 seems very good in low light and the relative lack of speed offered by the 18-135 is probably nicely balanced out overall. There are some ultra-wide zooms or the DA 15 Ltd. and something like the DA 50 or one of the other 50ish mm lenses for portraits that I would rather pick up next after the K-70/18-135 kit. But first is to just use that combo a lot and really get experienced with it before getting more lenses.
You are quite right as to what you want to photograph. The 55-300 almost never leaves my camera. Today was a steam locomotive in the Colorado mountains. A couple of days ago it was prehistoric pueblos in the desert. Yet, it worked for flora and fauna in general. It would be a handicap for portrait, urban, and street photos (in general). It is after all a tool to get the results you want.

07-08-2019, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,059
QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
You are quite right as to what you want to photograph. The 55-300 almost never leaves my camera. Today was a steam locomotive in the Colorado mountains. A couple of days ago it was prehistoric pueblos in the desert. Yet, it worked for flora and fauna in general. It would be a handicap for portrait, urban, and street photos (in general). It is after all a tool to get the results you want.
Exactly, here's the thing with the DA 55-300 PLM. With this type of lens, the front element is designed to be sharp a the longest length. That means that if the front element is designed to match the sensor, as you reduce the focal length the lens becomes really sharp. By 270mm some have said it will work with a 1.4 TC. By 55mm- 200mm its' simply excellent. My Sigma 70-300 was the same way. So matched with an 18-135 it gives you excellent possibilities, even if you only plan to use it form 55mm to 250mm. At 55mm it's a great lens and 70n-135, it's better than the 18-135 if you need edge to edge sharpness.
07-09-2019, 12:59 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 28
I have been shooting with the K-70 for over 2 1/2 years and love it! I have a number of lenses, including both primes and zooms, but the two that get the most use (in order) are the 18-135mm and the 55-300mm PLM. The 18-135mm is hard to beat for versatility and shooting in all kinds of different situations, while I really like the quick AF, size/weight, and reach of the 55-300mm PLM. I have been a faithful DSLR Pentax user for over ten years and I think you would be very happy with the combination of K-70 with the 18-135mm for a long, long time!

Good luck.
1 Day Ago   #11
New Member
Matty's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 9
I have been looking to "graduate" from the 18-55mm kit lens and have been keeping my eyes peeled for a second hand 18-135mm. In my mind that's more than enough zoom range for my current ability. I hope you get it too!
1 Day Ago   #12
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,890
QuoteOriginally posted by Matty Quote
I have been looking to "graduate" from the 18-55mm kit lens and have been keeping my eyes peeled for a second hand 18-135mm. In my mind that's more than enough zoom range for my current ability. I hope you get it too!
My K-30 was kitted with a 18-55, and after using it once I ordered the 18-135mm; it is a wonderful lens .... I have never had a moment of regret at making that purchase.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
18-135mm, camera, choice, dslr, k-70, k-70 with 18-135mm, k70, kit, lens, pentax, pentax k-70, photography, price
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted - Acquired: 18-55mm kit lens for less than $40 shipped to NC 7.62lew Sold Items 4 09-28-2015 11:50 AM
Less than $800.00 for **NEW** Sigma 150-500mm APO F5-6.3 DG OS HSM??? MD Optofonik Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 31 06-18-2015 09:04 PM
For Sale - Sold: SMC Pentax-M 135mm f3.5 (nice lens with less-than-nice case) cheekygeek Sold Items 2 04-13-2012 10:08 AM
For Sale - Sold: pentax k7 shutter count less than 500 with DA 18-55 WR (CONUS) shind0u Sold Items 2 04-05-2011 12:37 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:56 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top