Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2019, 09:05 AM   #1

Any reports on new K70

Been reading all these posts re: the new K3 III or what ever, but nothing on an updated K70. Any reports or rumors anyone is aware of? It's been out a while and would think a new model is in the works sometime.

07-10-2019, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Nothing so far. Who knows what Ricoh is going to do. They might end up having the KP, APS-C flagship, & K-1 models only. A lot of other manufacturers are trimming their lines. I guess we'll see what Ricoh is up to around CP+ 2020.
07-10-2019, 09:29 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally I feel that the K-70 is still in a really good place, as it delivers excellent value and has many features from the flagship models. I think we'll have to wait until after the K-3 successor to get new tech which could then be put in a lower model.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-16-2019, 02:52 PM   #4
Amm

My local pentax dealer advised me that there was one due anytime now I went it to purchase a k-70 I was asked if I was in a rush as there’s a new one due anytime now

07-16-2019, 02:58 PM   #5
Amm

Pentax K70 Successor Coming on January 2019 [Rumor] « NEW CAMERA
07-16-2019, 03:09 PM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

As posted in your thread, the R02010 camera is in fact the Ricoh GRIII, already released.

The next APS-C camera release should be the long-awaited K-3II (i.e. "APS-C flagship") replacement - though none of us knows if that will actually be the case...
07-16-2019, 04:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

This story is kind of confusing to me. One paragraph is
QuoteOriginally posted by New Camera admin:
Now, According to latest set of unconfirmed reports surfaced over the web, Pentax is rumored to announce Pentax next flaghip APS-C camera. Possibly, the successor of K70. Expected arrival time of Pentax K70 successor is on or before Jan 2018.
1. "Pentax is rumored to announce Pentax next flaghip APS-C camera." {this would be referring to K-3ii replacement}

2. "Possibly, the successor of K70." {not K-3ii replacement, contrary to 1.}

3. "Expected arrival time of Pentax K70 successor is on or before Jan 2018." {this was posted Oct 6, 2018 .... ten months after date given as 'expected' .... in any case, we are now seven months after 'expected' date}

07-16-2019, 04:53 PM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This story is kind of confusing to me. One paragraph is1. "Pentax is rumored to announce Pentax next flaghip APS-C camera." {this would be referring to K-3ii replacement}

2. "Possibly, the successor of K70." {not K-3ii replacement, contrary to 1.}

3. "Expected arrival time of Pentax K70 successor is on or before Jan 2018." {this was posted Oct 6, 2018 .... ten months after date given as 'expected' .... in any case, we are now seven months after 'expected' date}
Discussed in November last year:

Ricoh Imaging R02010 (code name) - Page 10 - PentaxForums.com
07-16-2019, 05:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Amm Quote
My local pentax dealer advised me that there was one due anytime now I went it to purchase a k-70 I was asked if I was in a rush as there’s a new one due anytime now
To be honest with you, those who actually know anything don't say anything meaningful - because then they'd never know anything truthful from Ricoh again. Dealers can speculate based on pricing, availability, etc - but ultimately they are just guessing. At CP+ in February, a Ricoh manager seemed to say that the next K-mount camera out the door would be the K-3ii replacement. Since Pentax releases tend to be spaced out, personally I expect the K-70 to be around for at least another year .... but that is just my opinion. I also think it is fair to expect every Pentax camera released in the next year to cost at least $1K for a year or two after release, so purchasing either the K-70 or the KP makes financial sense.
07-16-2019, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This story is kind of confusing to me. One paragraph is
That is because it was a rumor based on very fragmented information spanning two years with nothing indicating an SLR and only hints that it was APS-C. IIRC, that was the only site that suggested a K-70 replacement. Everyone else was expecting and got the long-overdue GII replacement. FWIW, "New Camera" has not been particularly accurate regarding Pentax...long on conjecture and short on hard information.

Steve
07-16-2019, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Have you see this recent rumor?
Ricoh registered new camera under the code name R02070 - Pentax Rumors
The older rumor that turned out to be the Ricoh GRIII was based on a similar radio transmitter registration along with a battery charger registration. This stuff comes up every once in awhile and is usually picked up by a group of users here that frequent the Pentax Rumors subforum. If there were a credible K-70 rumor, it would have surfaced there. FWIW, threads based on speculation are disallowed there, so there is usually very little wishful thinking, at least not on the initial post.

Pentax News and Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Steve