Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2020, 02:29 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Separate AE-L and AF-L buttons, plus a rear IR sensor (already mentioned above in this post). Other than this, it's a great camera for the money.

04-09-2020, 09:49 PM - 2 Likes   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
The K-70 would be great, if it had the ergonomics of the K-3 and a shoulder LCD. But wait, that would be an K-3 with the sensor of the K-70? There will be one soon I guess.

As has been said, the K-70 is the current entry level camera of pentax. And please be aware, that it has features the competition only builds into its mid-range cameras.
The only improvement I would like to have for the K-70 as an entry level camera is native USB tethering.
OK, I admit it, more focusing points would be great, as well.
The K-70 is not an entry level camera. You can say Pentax doesn't make entry level DSLR's...

What camera brand's entry level models have Pentaprism VF, IBIS, pixel shift, fully articulated LCD screen, 2 control wheels, lens AF fine tuning, electronic levels, weather sealing, astrotracer and whatever else I missed?

Why would an experienced landscape photographer owning several Limited and * optics choose a K-70? I.e. ME

I could have bought a K3-ii or a KP but I didn't as I preferred the K-70.

My friend recently bought a Nikon D7200 and it doesn't have 1/2 the K-70 features but naturally better AF tracking that no Pentax body has. Adding more focus points to a Pentax camera, well there isn't that much point is there?
04-10-2020, 12:39 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
... Adding more focus points to a Pentax camera, well there isn't that much point is there?

I'd disagree here.
I "updated" to a KP from my K-70 for the extra focus points, and the tracking in the optical viewfinder when using "9-auto", (what would be "5-auto" on the K70) is more reliable, in my experience, when used for birds in flight and similar. However, there are other ergonomic factors that didn't make the K-70 redundant, so I kept it ... as I did with all my other bodies ... they all still get used
Definitely "horses for courses"!
07-16-2020, 06:16 AM   #49

Biggest thing for me (during CV19 lockdown) would be a clean HDMI output. Should be a simple firmware change.
Would mean I could use it as a high quality webcam (with an HDMI to USB convertor).
Even better would be to allow it to be used as a webcam direct via USB. Webcam output is pretty simple so shouldn't need much process power.

08-06-2020, 06:49 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How about getting rid of the fault prone aperture solonoid and replace it with something reliable.

08-07-2020, 03:47 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
How about getting rid of the fault prone aperture solonoid and replace it with something reliable.
That would simply mean using the mechanism used by the K-7/5/3, K-1, and the KP.
In fact, that is one of my arguments for combining the K-70 and the KP.
08-16-2020, 07:00 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A solenoid being 100% functional and the K70 would rock.

Combining KP and K70: The stepper-motor would make it large like a KP or K5!
Thats the whole point of the solenoid circuit: It is small and light. And it works if the solenoid would be just as good as the venerable Japan made solenoid.
It never ever failed!

08-19-2020, 10:47 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
A solenoid being 100% functional and the K70 would rock.

Combining KP and K70: The stepper-motor would make it large like a KP or K5!
Thats the whole point of the solenoid circuit: It is small and light. And it works if the solenoid would be just as good as the venerable Japan made solenoid.
It never ever failed!
I already have a Japan made white solenoid as a replacement should the green one go in the K-70

Chances are now that I have the spare it will never fail
08-19-2020, 12:18 PM   #54
Pentaxian

I already have a Japan made white solenoid as a replacement should the green one go in the K-70

Chances are now that I have the spare it will never fail
"Ditto" (hopefully!)
08-19-2020, 11:18 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There will be always a demand for white Japan-Solenoids, of course mainly for K30/50/500/K-S1.
As I have repaired by now many K-S1's I believe most owners of this Pentax were youngsters buying it for the LED-fun and using it only in AUTO mode.
So when those fail, one won't hear about it. Actually I believe this is the case with many entry-level Pentax bodies, not that I see the K70 as entry-level but it is the cheapest to be found new these days. Right now we just have the K70/KP and K1II.
But you might be surprised: The K70 works better with the Japan-Solenoid: Faster actuation, particular with series photos
08-23-2020, 09:18 AM   #56
Veteran Member

There will be always a demand for white Japan-Solenoids, of course mainly for K30/50/500/K-S1.
As I have repaired by now many K-S1's I believe most owners of this Pentax were youngsters buying it for the LED-fun and using it only in AUTO mode.
So when those fail, one won't hear about it. Actually I believe this is the case with many entry-level Pentax bodies, not that I see the K70 as entry-level but it is the cheapest to be found new these days. Right now we just have the K70/KP and K1II.
But you might be surprised: The K70 works better with the Japan-Solenoid: Faster actuation, particular with series photos
Yes upon repairing my K-30 with a white solenoid I thought it the aperture felt smoother, silkier and generally more slick, as you say maybe it is faster also!

I'll be describing this fact in the Ebay sale, I would think a K-30 with a white solenoid fix should get a better price but we'll see.
08-23-2020, 02:13 PM   #57
Pentaxian

@photogem

A question!:

My K-70 came from a UK Pentax Pro dealer (SRS Microsystems ) with a 2 yr warrantee which expires at the end of 2020, and, just after I bought it, I got a "white" solenoid from the US as "insurance" against "ABS".

My preferred local Pentax repairer - ASAHI Photo in Brentford, London, which fitted a "white" one to my K-30 - could probably do the same for the K-70 (my hands, and my brain, are now too large/slow to do that myself ), and so, would you recommend that I ask them to do that on the K-70 after the warrantee expires????

PS: ATM, the K-70 appears to be "OK" - but "who knows" what could happen in the "future"???

Last edited by jeallen01; 08-23-2020 at 02:44 PM.
08-24-2020, 12:26 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
@photogem

A question!:

My K-70 came from a UK Pentax Pro dealer (SRS Microsystems ) with a 2 yr warrantee which expires at the end of 2020, and, just after I bought it, I got a "white" solenoid from the US as "insurance" against "ABS".

My preferred local Pentax repairer - ASAHI Photo in Brentford, London, which fitted a "white" one to my K-30 - could probably do the same for the K-70 (my hands, and my brain, are now too large/slow to do that myself ), and so, would you recommend that I ask them to do that on the K-70 after the warrantee expires????

PS: ATM, the K-70 appears to be "OK" - but "who knows" what could happen in the "future"???
Lets put it like that: The white Japan-DSLR-Solenoid is superior:
Yes upon repairing my K-30 with a white solenoid I thought that the aperture felt smoother, silkier and generally more slick, as you say maybe it is faster also!
I'll be describing this fact in the Ebay sale, I would think a K-30 with a white solenoid fix should get a better price but we'll see.
And thus you will have "piece of mind"
The white Japan-DSLR-Solenoid never ever failed.
08-24-2020, 12:33 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
@photogem

A question!:

That's rather like having your dentist take out all your teeth to prevent decay in the future ... as was often recommended in Scotland until not so long ago, so I'm told!
08-24-2020, 01:02 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
That's rather like having your dentist take out all your teeth to prevent decay in the future ... as was often recommended in Scotland until not so long ago, so I'm told!
A better analogy is changing the timing belt on an engine before it fails and wrecks your engine. Although I did have a timing belt changed and the garage managed to wreck my engine anyway and had to replace it.
Did they really recommend removing teeth in Scotland?