Forum Member

Photos: Albums
how would you improve the K-70?

1. a joystick
2. vertical grip option

07-14-2019, 03:01 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The only thing I can think off is a battery grip. But I just bought an adapter and an 8000mAh 2cell lipo battery.

07-14-2019, 04:04 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mccririck Quote
how would you improve the K-70?
Without edging its price point into KP territory? Rear IR sensor? Aux power port (DC in)?

Steve
07-14-2019, 04:47 PM - 2 Likes   #4

A dedicated ISO button or the ability to remap the expo compensation button for that. God, I hate switching it the way it is: press a button, turn the dial with the same finger you pressed the button with, press a different button from the one you pressed before. It's a nightmare in an otherwise highly ergonomic and comfortable camera.

07-14-2019, 05:18 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It's an interesting question... not because of the potential areas of improvement, but rather the manufacturer's design cut-off in deciding what could be offered vs what should be offered at this price point.

In any product range, there must be opportunities to tempt the buyer into spending more and choosing higher-end product(s). The K-70 is already awesome given its price - especially for those who wait until it's significantly discounted, as happens occasionally (it's happened a couple of times recently here in the UK). But from a commercial stand-point, the manufacturer has to withhold certain capabilities in order to attract buyers to higher end models (and a vertical / battery grip seems, historically, to be one defining feature between beginner-to-hobbyist and semi-pro level bodies).

To expect much more from the K-70 (or its eventual replacement) seems to me futile, unless product levels are merged and the price of the resulting model increased accordingly... which isn't entirely unlikely, given the current market for interchangeable lens cameras. On that basis, I think the K-70 with its current feature set, when discounted, is something of a bargain, and one we might not be privileged to enjoy for much longer...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-14-2019 at 05:31 PM.
07-14-2019, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Same battery as the K5 series, battery now is too small
Better grip, camera I find uncomfortable.

Quiet shutter like my K5IIS

OK, just put the camera inside a K5 body and add a tilt screen instead of a flip thing.
Or put inside a K-01 body and add an EVF
07-14-2019, 05:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wish they would have included built in GPS. It can't cost very much, $20. cell phones have great offline GPS capability. I suppose it was withheld to help make the KP more appealing.

07-14-2019, 07:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It's an interesting question... not because of the potential areas of improvement, but rather the manufacturer's design cut-off in deciding what could be offered vs what should be offered at this price point.

In any product range, there must be opportunities to tempt the buyer into spending more and choosing higher-end product(s). The K-70 is already awesome given its price - especially for those who wait until it's significantly discounted, as happens occasionally (it's happened a couple of times recently here in the UK). But from a commercial stand-point, the manufacturer has to withhold certain capabilities in order to attract buyers to higher end models (and a vertical / battery grip seems, historically, to be one defining feature between beginner-to-hobbyist and semi-pro level bodies).

To expect much more from the K-70 (or its eventual replacement) seems to me futile, unless product levels are merged and the price of the resulting model increased accordingly... which isn't entirely unlikely, given the current market for interchangeable lens cameras. On that basis, I think the K-70 with its current feature set, when discounted, is something of a bargain, and one we might not be privileged to enjoy for much longer...
The only reason I waited for my budget and pricing of the KP to come together was that after owning a K-30, I wasn't interested in playing roulette with Pentax low-tier aperture control again. I am surprised no one has mentioned aperture control yet, but I firmly believe using K-7/K-5/K-3/KP makes most sense; once you add the third e-dial from K-1/KP, body construction is the last major discriminant between the K-70 and KP. I expect a merged K-70 & KP line to be Pentax's 'introductory' APS-C camera from now on.
07-15-2019, 01:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Wish they made it 100g lighter...
07-15-2019, 04:16 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

High-speed wifi for file transfer.

Philip
07-15-2019, 07:46 AM - 3 Likes   #11

- lack of ability to use build in flash as commander!!!
I understand this to be business decision as K-50 had this.

- I would gladly swap WiFi for GPS
WiFi is no use to me as this requires me to disconnect from internet in order to grab some photos that I want to quickly upload to internet.
Bluetooth would be so much better, GPS would be even better.

- USB charging
Its 21st century, we really should have option to charge camera using USB
07-15-2019, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sawitar Quote
- USB charging
Its 21st century, we really should have option to charge camera using USB
That is so Twentieth Century - modern smart phones provide wireless charging, but iPhone uses a glass body to provide that.

I have had to replace three smart phones in a row because the USB socket wore out; I have never had a battery "socket" wear out, so I will just continue removing my battery to charge it.
07-15-2019, 05:42 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have never had a battery "socket" wear out, so I will just continue removing my battery to charge it.
You can have both, you know. Removable battery and USB charging. I'd rather have the ability to top off the battery off a power bank when there's no 110-240V grid in sight than not.
07-15-2019, 05:54 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MetalUndivided Quote
You can have both, you know.
Just not with Pentax or Nikon and perhaps others.

Steve
07-15-2019, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MetalUndivided Quote
You can have both, you know. Removable battery and USB charging. I'd rather have the ability to top off the battery off a power bank when there's no 110-240V grid in sight than not.
I have 2 spare batteries. If I want to "top off" batteries I can always put a spare in camera and "top off" the one previously in camera {using USB charger} - but I've never felt a need to do this because I've never quite completely drained one battery during a day, let alone three of them.

Last edited by reh321; 07-15-2019 at 06:27 PM.