Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
07-15-2019, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #16

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Just not with Pentax or Nikon and perhaps others.
Hopefully they all catch up on this technology.
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have
If I want
I can
I've never felt a need
I've never quite
Look, I'm really happy to hear your experiences, but I don't see how that invalidates the point. Having the ability to charge via USB is objectively an advantage, maybe not for you, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice to have.

07-15-2019, 06:30 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MetalUndivided Quote
Look, I'm really happy to hear your experiences, but I don't see how that invalidates the point. Having the ability to charge via USB is objectively an advantage, maybe not for you, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice to have.
If this is really important to you, then spend a few bucks for a USB charger and have that capability now - not waiting until Pentax gets around to incorporating it into a camera and then you have to spend lots of bucks for the upgrade???

Last edited by reh321; 07-15-2019 at 06:38 PM.
07-15-2019, 06:36 PM   #18

If You'd be satisfied with 20th Century technology in USB charging why not ask for 21st Century technology in wireless charging?
I'll just leave you with this
07-16-2019, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Let's try again.

To me, USB charging is one of those "amateur" things - like On-Board Flash - that Pentax may or may not ever provide in the future ..... but you can provide the equivalent for yourself right now; all you need is a spare battery {which you should have already} and a {cheap} charger from a company like Kastar.

07-16-2019, 06:49 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Let's try again.

To me, USB charging is one of those "amateur" things - like On-Board Flash - that Pentax may or may not ever provide in the future ..... but you can provide the equivalent for yourself right now; all you need is a spare battery {which you should have already} and a {cheap} charger from a company like Kastar.

And if you're me, you'll add a 30 dollar solar panel to it, so you can recharge in the bush.

But I seriously would like USB charging for longer trips for my K-1 and K-3. We are doing 16 days out of cell phone range and off grid this August. Some one come up with away for my to recharge my K-1 and K-3 batteries. As for the charger above, I have a kit like that, and have recharged away from civilization many times, but, I don't use AA batteries anymore. Those were back when I was shooting a K100D.
07-16-2019, 07:37 AM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
You're far better taking the battery out of a camera to charge it.
07-16-2019, 12:10 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And if you're me, you'll add a 30 dollar solar panel to it, so you can recharge in the bush.

But I seriously would like USB charging for longer trips for my K-1 and K-3. We are doing 16 days out of cell phone range and off grid this August. Some one come up with away for my to recharge my K-1 and K-3 batteries. As for the charger above, I have a kit like that, and have recharged away from civilization many times, but, I don't use AA batteries anymore. Those were back when I was shooting a K100D.
Check this normhead:
If you watch some of Mortens other videos, you’ll realize he’s pushing his gear to the limit.
Then you only need a couple of usb chargers: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173441419068

Last edited by DrawsACircle; 07-16-2019 at 12:20 PM.
07-16-2019, 12:16 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't use AA batteries anymore. Those were back when I was shooting a K100D.
The left side of that photo was to illustrate a USB source only - my main interest was in the right side. However, I will fully admit to being an AA-battery-centric family. We have lived in three different states over the past forty years, and whether we were in Indiana, Kansas, or Massachusetts, I noticed that Convenience and other stores always seem to have AA-batteries; even at times of stress - such as Super Storm Sandy - they have AA-batteries even when they have run out of everything else. So I have a little AA-battery flashlight to provide light at all times, and that little Rayovac USB-source to keep our smart phones {hoping that infrastructure providers have emergency power} and other devices running. But that is just me.

Last edited by reh321; 07-16-2019 at 12:30 PM.
07-17-2019, 12:05 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Solar panels are slow to recharge batteries, unless the panel is large, usually much larger than a USB power bank or a pack of D-LI90 or NiMH AA batteries. And solar recharging is unpractical for cameras, because solar charging works during the day when you need to use the camera or are on the move, whereas battery can be recharged during the night when sleeping. If I sleep at an hotel, I recharge batteries during the night when sleeping. If I'm off-grid, I recharge camera batteries in the car while driving, cars now have usb plugs, if not it's always possible to use an adapter to the 12V cigar plug.
07-17-2019, 03:17 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Getting ready for a two month trip to Ellesmere Island in February: 1:14:17:
Charge your power banks during the day, camera batteries using the powerbanks during the night.
07-18-2019, 05:13 AM   #26
Site Supporter

A dedicated ISO button or the ability to remap the expo compensation button for that. God, I hate switching it the way it is: press a button, turn the dial with the same finger you pressed the button with, press a different button from the one you pressed before. It's a nightmare in an otherwise highly ergonomic and comfortable camera.
Yes! It's what I really miss on the K50 and K70 after my K20D.
07-18-2019, 05:38 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ikonographics Quote
With the K-1 and KP you can dedicate the third wheel to either ISO or Exposure Compensation - my Hope is that K-70 replacement will get that also.
07-18-2019, 05:56 AM   #28
Banned

Photos: Gallery
The follower from the K-70 could improve by being 100 $€£ cheaper.
07-18-2019, 06:22 AM   #29
Pentaxian

A dedicated ISO button or the ability to remap the expo compensation button for that. God, I hate switching it the way it is: press a button, turn the dial with the same finger you pressed the button with, press a different button from the one you pressed before. It's a nightmare in an otherwise highly ergonomic and comfortable camera.
QuoteOriginally posted by ikonographics Quote
Working in Tv Mode or Av Mode (requiring only one click of the mode dial to change between them), control of the ISO can be assigned to either the front or rear dial.

Philip
07-18-2019, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
Working in Tv Mode or Av Mode (requiring only one click of the mode dial to change between them), control of the ISO can be assigned to either the front or rear dial.
Except it resets the exposure settings?
I was referring to the M mode primarily. Yeah, a dedicated ISO button is of not much use in program modes and I'd rather have the expo compensation button. However, once I go into M, I no longer need the expo compensation but I absolutely do need to control the ISO.