Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
08-24-2020, 02:41 AM   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
A better analogy is changing the timing belt on an engine before it fails and wrecks your engine. Although I did have a timing belt changed and the garage managed to wreck my engine anyway and had to replace it.
Did they really recommend removing teeth in Scotland?
About 26 years ago, I had my local Vauxhall main dealer change the belt on my Astra estate ("wagon"), but then the teeth on the belt stripped near the end of a long journey to work because the belt had stretched a bit and lost tension!

Luckily, that engine was a "non-interference" design, and there was another Vauxhall main dealer a couple of miles from where the problem happened, and they had the car back on the road with a new belt by the end of my working day - and so I drove it home again

After that, although I got the same local dealer to later fit new belts to that and another Astra, I always took the cars back after about 5k miles to have them retension those belts to avoid the same thing happening

---------- Post added 08-24-20 at 10:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
That's rather like having your dentist take out all your teeth to prevent decay in the future ... as was often recommended in Scotland until not so long ago, so I'm told!
Not really - getting a white solenoid fitted to the K-70 would be more like getting a full set of dental implants fitted to avoid any possibility of tooth decay in the future!

08-24-2020, 03:07 AM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
After that, although I got the same local dealer to later fit new belts to that and another Astra, I always took the cars back after about 5k miles to have them retension those belts to avoid the same thing happening

Very interesting! Worth considering!

Not really - getting a white solenoid fitted to the K-70 would be more like getting a full set of dental implants fitted to avoid any possibility of tooth decay in the future!
I see it more like swapping amalgam (mercury) fillings against well made gold-fillings.
Mercury is also called "quicksilver": change of properties
08-24-2020, 03:15 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
About 26 years ago, I had my local Vauxhall main dealer change the belt on my Astra estate ("wagon"), but then the teeth on the belt stripped near the end of a long journey to work because the belt had stretched a bit and lost tension!

Luckily, that engine was a "non-interference" design, and there was another Vauxhall main dealer a couple of miles from where the problem happened, and they had the car back on the road with a new belt by the end of my working day - and so I drove it home again

---------- Post added 08-24-20 at 10:44 AM ----------

I forgot to mention that after collecting the car with the replacement engine and driving a few miles home I heard some noises that sounded like chippings on a newly surfaced road hitting the wheel arches. Because the noises stopped I ignored it. A few days later I did a 25 mile journey and towards the end of it I heard those noises again followed by the power steering failing. I had to call the RAC to recover the vehicle and take three of us home. Turns out that while changing the engine they somehow damaged the auxiliary belt causing it to slowly shred and finally snap completely. It would be too much of a coincidence to think otherwise. I haven't been back since.

08-24-2020, 10:10 AM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Did they really recommend removing teeth in Scotland?

An ex work colleague married a Scots girl, so the story comes very first hand. The practice was still promoted into the '60's at least ... apparently an acceptable 21st birthday present!

08-24-2020, 10:19 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
An ex work colleague married a Scots girl, so the story comes very first hand. The practice was still promoted into the '60's at least ... apparently an acceptable 21st birthday present!
I have heard of it happening just didn't realise it would be recommended. I suppose it gives some dental immunity to deep fried Mars Bars .

08-28-2020, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That is so Twentieth Century - modern smart phones provide wireless charging, but iPhone uses a glass body to provide that.

I have had to replace three smart phones in a row because the USB socket wore out; I have never had a battery "socket" wear out, so I will just continue removing my battery to charge it.
For those wanting 'good' USB charging (not perfect, but much better), magnetic USB charger 'bits' on the end (micro usb, usb-c, lightning) - used to replace cable ~ once/month on my tablet as micro usb pins didn't hold, lightning cables ended up bending. I used TOPK gen2 magnetic cord/ends - supports fast charging. Not perfect, but last a lot longer.

Personally... I do wish that cameras had a USB-C port and could charge the battery. Having a battery charger is fine, but.. people can purchase literally a multitude of portable USB (c) portable batteries, and this makes not having to drag the charging cradle for a 120V outlet a possibility.

Last edited by formercanuck; 08-28-2020 at 06:45 PM.
10-01-2020, 01:43 AM - 1 Like   #67

I miss the third AF-C option button as on my K50 - seems I have to go to the menu to do the switch from AF-S to AF-C and by then the bird might have gone...

10-01-2020, 11:12 PM - 1 Like   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by telum Quote
I miss the third AF-C option button as on my K50 - seems I have to go to the menu to do the switch from AF-S to AF-C and by then the bird might have gone...

If you're not using the "User Modes" for anything else, this is a good place to store these settings. With very little practice I can swap from one configuration to the other without taking my eye from the viewfinder
My basic "birding" configuration is 1/1500 @ f/8 in TAv with my Sigma 150-500mm, so U1 is that with AF-S, U2 the same but with AF-C. There's even room for a third alternative, maybe wide-area instead of spot a/f (or metering?)
All of these alternatives can also be available on the "Control Panel" (from the Info Button), which, with practice, is a little easier to use than the basic Menu system. Remember, the Control Panel itself is configurable, both as to which options are stored there and where on the Panel they appear!
The current Pentax cameras are so very configurable it really does take some time to be aware of the capabilities of every option … and remember to take advantage of them

Good luck!
10-06-2020, 11:57 PM   #69

wow thanks for that answer! I am not using any user modes and I was not aware that the control panel could be configured at all, so now it is upside down, I have to try out which option is best for me :-)
10-07-2020, 12:10 AM   #70
Veteran Member

I have a white solenoid for my K-70, no point fixing a camera that isn't broke yet but...

When I fixed my K-30 with a white solenoid I swear upon first testing it that the aperture felt snappier. I'm thinking I may do the K-70 regardless because of this reason alone!

K-30 is going on Ebay UK at the weekend if you want a K-30 in great condition with the guarantee and performance of the white solenoid.

USB-C power would be great for all future Pentax bodies, as 'formercanuck' stated above to use the portable power packs. Great for timelapses if you are doing 1000's of shots over a long period etc.

Personally I hate those battery grips for cameras, they are so old fashioned and make a nice small DSLR into a bulky heavy horrible thing. Usually only pensioners go for these Jurassic grips LoL or is that just the Pentax demographic? :-)
11-06-2020, 02:47 PM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It has a USB port for getting data out. What about charging through it or at least powering it.
11-06-2020, 04:00 PM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
I have a white solenoid for my K-70, no point fixing a camera that isn't broke yet but...

When I fixed my K-30 with a white solenoid I swear upon first testing it that the aperture felt snappier. I'm thinking I may do the K-70 regardless because of this reason alone!..
Personally I hate those battery grips for cameras, they are so old fashioned and make a nice small DSLR into a bulky heavy horrible thing. Usually only pensioners go for these Jurassic grips LoL or is that just the Pentax demographic? :-)
Ditto w.r.t. a white solenoid for my K-70, unless we actually do get the opportunity to go on holiday - in which case I might get it changed by ASAHI Photo beforehand

OTOH, w.r.t, battery grips - if you have long & heavy lenses on a K-3 then you NEED one of those, regardless or not of whether you are a "pensioner"
11-10-2020, 09:55 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01;5114061OTOH, w.r.t, battery grips - if you have long & heavy lenses on a K-3 then you NEED one of those, [I:
regardless or not[/I] of whether you are a "pensioner"
Totally agree with this.

Also, my hands aren't dainty, so I need the battery grip to aid in handling the camera comfortably with any lens larger than a Limited..
11-10-2020, 11:10 PM - 1 Like   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
Personally I hate those battery grips for cameras, they.........make a nice small DSLR into a bulky heavy horrible thing.
I'm with you on this point. One feature common to the Pentax DSLR family is the neat and compact design. When used hand-held with a lens larger than hand size, the support is given mainly by the left hand holding the lens, while the right hand steadies the set-up with the built-in grip and operates the camera controls - there are very few controls on the left of a Pentax body.

But, of course, to each his own.

Philip
11-18-2020, 05:16 AM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mccririck Quote
1. a joystick
2. vertical grip option
Having used the K-70 for two years now, there's not much wrong with it given what you get for the price, which is a lot! My only issue would be to have separate buttons for back-focusing and exposure lock. Obviously one switches between the two functions of the AE-L/AF-L button in the camera settings menu, and although I use back button focusing more, it would be nice (and quicker) to achieve this at the press of button.