Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2019, 02:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KP or K70: Upgrade from KS2

My KS2 has been a faithful soldier but I'm hankering for an upgrade. I am stuck on the KP vs. K70. What would be the reason for choosing one over the other? I like the look of the KP, but I don't know if the features and functions of one are more impressive than the other. Would love to hear experiences and opinions based on use.

08-21-2019, 03:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The KP is the more capable camera. See, for instance, Pentax K-1 II vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
08-21-2019, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
My KS2 has been a faithful soldier but I'm hankering for an upgrade. I am stuck on the KP vs. K70. What would be the reason for choosing one over the other? I like the look of the KP, but I don't know if the features and functions of one are more impressive than the other. Would love to hear experiences and opinions based on use.
May I ask what it is about the KS2 that has you wanting an upgrade? Although not one of the latest models, it's a very capable camera. Is there something about the performance, features, image quality, build quality you're dissatisfied with, or are you simply hankering after something newer "just because" (nothing wrong with that - but it's helpful to know)? What would be your hopes and expectations from a newer body than the KS2? Are you fully sorted for quality lenses? Both the KP and K-70 are excellent bodies, but if we know specifically what you're looking for and why, we'll be better placed to help you choose between the two, spend your money on better glass (which may give you better results than a body upgrade), or stick with what you've got

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-21-2019 at 03:44 PM.
08-21-2019, 03:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There are a number of threads that discuss this and it boils down to what a person wants. It's worth noting when reviewing old threads, that the price difference has dropped to ~$200. I have the K-S2 and the KP (KP was first). I upgraded to the KP from a K10D. I also researched the K-70. IMO, the K-70 does not seem to be much of an upgrade from your K-S2.

08-21-2019, 03:17 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Both the K-70 and KP will give you roughly the same, improved image quality. The difference boils down to build quality and durability, which is what makes the KP cost more.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-21-2019, 04:58 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
May I ask what it is about the KS2 that has you wanting an upgrade?
You already received some good advice and BigMakCam asks a very pertinent question. Do you you want to change camera or do you went better/ or newer results?

Have you considering investing in new lens(s)? I found that a good prime lens can give you great satisfaction. While I shoot with my K-3 mostly, I still have great satisfaction using my older K-7 with a FA Limited, a VL or a CZ prime. Yes it is worth to invest in great primes and you can get a lot of pleasure and great results, even with an older camera.

Food for thoughts...
08-21-2019, 07:06 PM   #7
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a K-S2 and a KP. The significant improvements in the KP, to my mind, are:
- more pixels for cropping
- better AF
- better AE metering, especially in matrix mode
- range of bracketing options
- 1-2 stop improvement in ISO (1600 and above)
- quiet shutter, even in mechanical mode. Silent in electronic mode
- PixelShift (excellent feature)
- programmable third wheel allows quick adjustments of chosen feature
- much better SR (not that the K-S2 is at all bad)
- sturdier construction
- faster frame rate and better buffer (but not as good as the K-3)
- better dust removal system
- continuous AF during video recording

I prefer the greater versatility of the flippy screen on the K-S2 (and K-70) to the tilt screen on the KP (e.g. for portrait orientation shots from a low angle). But the tilt screen seems more sturdy.

I don't particularly like the ergonomics of either the K-S2 or the KP. I much prefer the K-3 (and the K-30 I had earlier). I find even the L grip on the KP too small; the smaller ones were unusable (and I don't have large hands). The K-70 seems to have more of the feel of the K-30/K-50 which would be a good thing IMO.

But for all that, if there isn't a big price difference from the K-70, I think the KP is still the one to get.

Last edited by Des; 08-22-2019 at 02:14 PM.
08-23-2019, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the input. I am wanting to upgrade partly because my KS2 is showing some age--it's had hard use and there is grit in places now that I can't easily clean. I had the dreaded black frame problem and had that repaired. So I just don't want to have a camera that will fail on me when I"m away on one of my 6-week summer safaris abroad. Also I do enjoy getting new gear from time to time, and I think getting the KS2 the year it came out means I've not exactly been impatient to upgrade. Overall, I think the KP is going to be my choice. I hear the K70 has the same part that fails in the black frame problem, so i don't want to go there! The KP also has a kind of throw-back vibe about it that I like.

Thanks for the informed and helpful input!

08-23-2019, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #9
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks to user @caliscouse; here is a summary of differences between K-70 and KP
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=4629726

KP vs K-70

Just a reminder of the some of the significant differences:

- Metering: 86K pixel vs 77 segment
- AF system: SAFOX11 (27 point) vs SAFOX 10 (11 point), plus new tracking algorithms
- Processor: Prime IV + accelerator vs Prime M II
- 3 Control wheels vs 2
(*)
- Shake Reduction: 5-axis SRII vs SR
- Ultrasonic DRII vs sensor shake DR (*)
- Quiet shutter and motor aperture vs louder shutter and solenoid aperture (*)
- 7FPS vs 6FPS
- Magnesium body vs plastic. (*)
- Electronic shutter option
- External battery grip option

(*) My notes

1. I find the extra {"K-1 style"} control wheels to be a serious improvement.
Most of the time, I use the third e-wheel set up to control ISO setting, so I can control all aspects of the "exposure triangle" without lowering the camera from my eye.

2. Over time I found the shutter shake cleaning on my K-30 not doing the job; I am hopeful that the KP's ultrasonic system will prove itself over time

3. I got into the habit of using my Q-7 when taking photos during ceremonies {such as church} and performances because the K-30 is so noisy .... the KP is much much better

4. The top pieces of the KP are plastic. My K-30 made it through 40 months without accident, but somehow I managed already {after roughly 6 months} to have some kind of incident with my KP in the bag which had held the K-30. I did stabilize the damage using Gorilla Glue, but I managed the glue the {useless to me} OnBoard Flash closed.

I should mention the appearance change not mentioned in the above list - I think it is really cool-looking.

08-24-2019, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #10

I chose the k70 for financial reasons. Later on, I was able to play with the kp. Now, I wanted the kp. Bad. Such a neat camera. But after playing with it, I just couldn't find a way to comfortably grip one. Whereas the k70 was a natural fit and instinctive and intuitive to use. I could have, would have, found a way to make the kp work. But it would have forever been a way to make it work. While the k70 felt molded to my right hand.

Keep in mind this is only one Rookie's perspective. I fully expect others' mileage to be different. But the ergonomics (coupled with the knowledge that good enough is good enough) is something to consider.
08-24-2019, 02:41 PM   #11
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RookieGuy Quote
I chose the k70 for financial reasons. Later on, I was able to play with the kp. Now, I wanted the kp. Bad. Such a neat camera. But after playing with it, I just couldn't find a way to comfortably grip one. Whereas the k70 was a natural fit and instinctive and intuitive to use. I could have, would have, found a way to make the kp work. But it would have forever been a way to make it work. While the k70 felt molded to my right hand.Keep in mind this is only one Rookie's perspective. I fully expect others' mileage to be different. But the ergonomics (coupled with the knowledge that good enough is good enough) is something to consider.
The design cues for the KP are from Pentax's film SLRs. That appeals to a number of people, in terms of both the feel and the look. But personally I'm with you @RookieGuy . Even though I don't have large hands, I find the K-S2 to be uncomfortably small and even the L grip on the KP is smaller than that. The K-70 grip is more like the K-30/K-50 - I really liked the feel of the K-30.

But I have to say that I am getting used to the KP. The third wheel is a winner, it's solidly built and it has many premium features which put it in a different class. The quiet shutter, for example, sounds like a small thing but is a big advantage in practice. Ergonomics aside, it has most of the good things that the K-3 has, plus a few more (like PixelShift, electronic shutter and third wheel) and superior image quality.
08-25-2019, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #12

Oh, make no mistake, there's no wrong choice to make. KP is one helluva camera. Like I said, price was the thing for me. The ergonomics are more of a silver lining lol!
08-25-2019, 11:00 AM   #13
Pentaxian

given the choice I believe the KP but certainly would have the reservations of grip and ir remote with the k-70 as those are beloved and taken for granted features on all the digital bodies I have...…….
08-25-2019, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #14
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

I use the KP with the smallest grip, and don't have any problem at all.
Configured that way, it reminds me of my film Pentax SLR's.
12-02-2019, 11:08 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I use the KP with the smallest grip, and don't have any problem at all.
Configured that way, it reminds me of my film Pentax SLR's.
I've been looking KP vs K70; for me it is an upgrade to a K-200D.
One thing I see is the grip issue- but I started out with the ME Super SLR which was flat so I think it can work- it is more what you are used to.
Cost is getting closer;
reh321 and his repost from caliscouser have some of the main things swaying me to KP- the AF system and electronic shutter option for quiet shooting.
I like having a movable LCD screen (the K-200D is fixed) - but I don't expect to use it for selfies so the LP may work better- I'm 5'6" and I often hold my camera high to shoot over taller people