Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2019, 11:10 PM - 6 Likes   #1

K-70 sample pics...awesome camera

The K-70 sure makes it easy to get great photos. The colors it produces are second to none.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
09-19-2019, 01:01 AM   #2
Forum Member

What lens are you pairing it with?
09-19-2019, 06:48 AM   #3
Pentaxian

gorgeous colors indeed.
I'm also interested on what lens this is.
Especially pic from the sky, but think it's all the same lens.
lovely rendering.
09-19-2019, 07:33 PM - 3 Likes   #4

Original Poster
All were taken with Laowa 60mm f 2.8 macro 2:1. If you don't mind manual lenses I highly recommend this lense...Very sharp and easy to use. I use the pop up flash with a paper towel diffuse (see pic) on all macro shots.It works great. It does not scare away the bugs! I tried using others and they are too bulky and scare away the bugs....and block the light needed to focus. All the macro pics that i will post were with this method.Surely there are other effective ways to do it, I just thought i would share the way that worked well with me. I am really kind of bummed that the K-1 ii doesn't have a pop up flash....I have to use a big speed light and it makes it too heavy....Is there a compact flash out there for Pentax?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Last edited by Katfsh; 09-19-2019 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Added text
09-20-2019, 10:46 AM   #5

Nice. I've seen some nice extreme macros of live insects from someone on reddit, he explains his setup in a blog post here and a YouTube video] and it seems that those DIY kind of flash diffusers seem to be quite common (why not, if they work).
I guess the main reason to use external or macro flashes rather than the ones built into the camera are 1. power and 2. angle of light (and shadows) to create depth and sharpness in the image rather than getting "flat" frontal lighting.

09-20-2019, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some great shots Katfsh. Looks like this camera/lens combo is really inspiring you!

A couple random thoughts:

For a really simple and cheap way to diffuse the pop-up flash, put some layers of frosted cellophane tape on it. The results you are getting with the paper towel look great, but the tape might make the rig more manageable. You would have to experiment with how many layers to use, and you might not like the results as well as your current method. Like I say, just a random suggestion.

The EXIF data for these shots shows a JPEG quality of 85. Even though they look great, they would look better at 100. I assume you know you can set JPEG quality in your camera. I keep mine at the highest quality on my K10D and K-5IIs, and always save images at 100 in my computer software. However, when I posted some shots here on the forum, the quality downshifted to 85. I was disappointed that they didn't look as good on the forum as they did at home. I think the issue is related to image dimensions. When I post 1200x800 pixel images here they stay at 100.
09-20-2019, 05:28 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you...and you are right I think it my be happening when i convert them to jpeg.They do lose quality after i upload them i can see that they don't look like they do on my computer. I just have not had the time yet figure it out. I would welcome any advice on converting, resizeing for best results. I am going to upload some more tonight and see if i can figure it out. As for the diffusing, at first itt was just temporary with the paper towel as i was just trying to figure out how people would get such detail in their macro shots.I pretty much learned (learning!) how to use a Dslr doing macro and eventually realized how important light was!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Last edited by Katfsh; 09-20-2019 at 05:51 PM.
09-21-2019, 01:08 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those three ^^^ 1200x800pix shots all show a JPEG quality of 100. You may be able to crop or resize to somewhat larger dimensions and still keep the quality high. Pentax Forums has recommended maximum dimensions for various sections of the forum. Sometimes it's 1200x800, 1400x900, or 1280x1024. There are threads, albums, and galleries. My experience is the larger the image, the more likely the jpeg quality will be downshifted. I haven't done a thorough study of this. Perhaps someone else who has can chime in.

Some software programs are better than others at maintaining high image quality when resizing. I primarily deal with jpg files (yeah, I know I should be shooting RAW). My primary image software is PhotoFiltre which is free. I've used it for over 10 years. It's great for a lot of things, but not for resizing. I don't do a lot of resizing, but when I do I use GIMP, also free. It's much better at keeping IQ high.

It sounds like you may be converting from RAW to jpeg. Good for you. I can't give you advice on whatever software your using, but plenty of people here on the forum can if you mention what you're using.

QuoteOriginally posted by Katfsh Quote
I pretty much learned (learning!) how to use a Dslr doing macro and eventually realized how important light was!
If you don't have light, you don't have a photo. The characteristics of the light have the most important effect on how a shot looks. Artists like Rembrandt totally got this. Angle, color temperature, specular vs. diffuse, rim lighting, golden hour, blue hour, etc. You can never know too much about lighting. Sometimes you take what's there, sometimes you manipulate it. It's the paint on your palette.

10-02-2019, 07:06 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep. The K-70 is a winner in my book.
10-03-2019, 03:20 AM   #10

I also believe that the K70 is one of the most successful pentax cameras.
10-03-2019, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And now on sale!
21 Hours Ago   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nonpigliounoshoot Quote
I also believe that the K70 is one of the most successful pentax cameras.
That's awesome! I expect nothing less from such a bargain as the K70
« New guy. | - »