Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
11-13-2019, 11:14 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
Perhaps we might agree that, in terms of features, image quality, and value for money, the K-70 is a great Pentax DSLR and, as a significant upgrade from the K-x, it would be a step forward into an exciting new world of photographic potential and opportunities for Chas (the OP).
Philip

Absolutely !!

11-13-2019, 11:28 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And yet... all these recommendations don't take into account that the lens is as much important.
And thats what seems to be lacking.

Lets say that since the 16MP Sony sensor there was a huge step.
So a 16MP Pentax with better lenses will be a much higher leap than a K70 with boring lenses!
11-13-2019, 01:03 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have had my K-70 for almost three years now, my first DSLR. Shuttercount approximately 15.000.
It's a gem, I would, without hesitation, buy it again and again and again.
11-13-2019, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The DA 18-135mm is certainly not a boring lens. It is in fact, a very capable lens of producing very fine images. The thread "DA 18-135mm WR- show us what it can do.." can be visited in the lens section of the forum. I recommend just start with the latest entry and work backward.

Of course one can consider the extra-fine qualities of shooting with Limited primes, but this by no means detracts what this fine zoom lens is capable of, and I say this owning and using both. Speaking of limiteds, we must remember the OP has stated being on a very limited budget. It must also be remembered, the DA 18-135mm WR lens is a very well-built lens, especially considering the price point to be had when bought together with the K-70, and the fact that shopping for a zoom lens featuring Weather Resistant construction in other brands such as Canon or Nikon would mean shopping in the $1,000+ price range. Shopping for a body having such an advantage would be looking at another $1,000+. All current Pentax bodies are built having this feature. From this perspective, spending more and getting the ultra-fine compact model, the KP with the DA 18-135mm WR would still be an amazing bargain by comparison.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-13-2019 at 01:17 PM.
11-13-2019, 02:10 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You could also keep your existing lenses for the time being and get a K-70 with one of the plastic-fantastic primes. You would be amazed at what a DA50 or DA35 can give you on that sensor.
11-13-2019, 03:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The DA 18-135mm is certainly not a boring lens. It is in fact, a very capable lens of producing very fine images. The thread "DA 18-135mm WR- show us what it can do.." can be visited in the lens section of the forum. I recommend just start with the latest entry and work backward.

Of course one can consider the extra-fine qualities of shooting with Limited primes, but this by no means detracts what this fine zoom lens is capable of, and I say this owning and using both. Speaking of limiteds, we must remember the OP has stated being on a very limited budget. It must also be remembered, the DA 18-135mm WR lens is a very well-built lens, especially considering the price point to be had when bought together with the K-70, and the fact that shopping for a zoom lens featuring Weather Resistant construction in other brands such as Canon or Nikon would mean shopping in the $1,000+ price range. Shopping for a body having such an advantage would be looking at another $1,000+. All current Pentax bodies are built having this feature. From this perspective, spending more and getting the ultra-fine compact model, the KP with the DA 18-135mm WR would still be an amazing bargain by comparison.
I second this!

I found it a remarkably flexible and capable lens. Especially for the included lens....I was expecting "kit garbage" that I'd probably get rid of...But that 18-135 is staying for the foreseeable future
11-13-2019, 04:58 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mixed bag at this point

I made a pretty big jump from a K10D to a K-70. The K10D came with the 18-55 kit lens that was ok. It was my first "real" DSLR and it taught me a lot. When I upgraded, I opted for the K-70 with the 18-135. I picked it up in May of this year. I haven't been disappointed with the camera body at all. I added a prime 15mm wide, and a 55-300 (not the PLM) and took the whole kit to Ireland. It all worked great and I have some fantastic images from that trip.

BUT

In late September the 18-135 took a dump. When I mounted on the body, the menu went crazy. I wasn't able to make and settings changes, and the lens wouldn't focus. Any other lens I mounted worked fine. Since the 18-135 was still under warranty, I sent it off to Precision Repair on October 2nd. It's been gone ever since. Precision couldn't fix it, so they sent it off to Pentax. I'm told Pentax repair takes 3 - 5 weeks, and Precision has said that they expect the lens back any day. In any event, it's taken far too long. The 18-135 is my carry everywhere lens, and I've missed a lot of photography due to the crappy repair service.

But even with all of this, I'd still get the K-70 again. It's a really really good body and for the money it can't be beat. I just happened to get a bad lens, and I'm confident that it will be returned shortly. All of my other lenses perform very well on the K-70. If you get one, I think you'll be very satisfied with it.

My 2 cents....

11-13-2019, 05:39 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Inevitably, YMMV
I'm still learning some of these abbreviations so need a translation, what is YMMV?

I do wish to thank everyone for your comments, pro and con. It always helps to get the downside of a subject and not just the upside. Again, thank you one and all.
11-13-2019, 07:39 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
I'm still learning some of these abbreviations so need a translation, what is YMMV?

I do wish to thank everyone for your comments, pro and con. It always helps to get the downside of a subject and not just the upside. Again, thank you one and all.
"Your Mileage May Vary"
11-13-2019, 09:00 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Do a Web search for YMMV - one example from the many helpful results is:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/ymmv

Philip
11-14-2019, 04:50 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Currently I use two Pentax Kx cameras. Maybe it is a whim, but I have been thinking of going for a K70 with the 18 - 135 mm lens. I am thinking the 24 Mp sensor will give me more resolution in my landscapes and thus a better quality in my photos. I am retired and on a fixed income and would sell one of my Kx cameras with its kit lens and maybe my 35-80 lens. Just wondering if there are any here that will give me an honest and objective opinion about stepping up from the Kx to the K70. Thank you all, in advance.
Hi Chas, Picked up my K-70 with the 18/135 kit lens two years ago and I love it! I suggest you look at the sample photos posted on the forums if you really want to explore the capabilities of this combination. Smc PENTAX-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR and PENTAX K-70 | Sample Photos for Pentax Cameras & Lenses - PentaxForums.com

I have added to my gear with a HD DA 35 Macro and the 55/300 (not plm)

I would also recommend purchase of Yvonne's e-book for the K-70, chalk full of info! Instantly download your Pentax eBook! (K-1, KP, K-70, K-3, K-5, K-50, K-S2) - PentaxForums.com

Good luck with your shooting!
11-29-2019, 03:16 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

While I went with a K-70 for a K-50 upgrade today with the minimal price difference I'd go with a KP mainly for body construction superiority.
12-14-2019, 03:02 PM - 3 Likes   #28
Veteran Member

I just hit the 25,000 photo mark with my under 12 month old K-70.
With a life expectancy of 100,000 shutter activation's, I am looking at getting possibly a full frame next but it will depend on the new flagship announcement in around 6 months I guess.
I highly recommend my K-70 as a very decent and easy to use camera.
12-14-2019, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
While I went with a K-70 for a K-50 upgrade today with the minimal price difference I'd go with a KP mainly for body construction superiority.
That's probably a good idea. The KP is superior and only a couple hundred more now without having to worry about the exposure block failure.

I do love my k-70, its a little workhorse. The one advantage it might have is ergonomics..it feels great in the hand and has a fatter grip.
12-16-2019, 07:25 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
The one advantage it might have is ergonomics..it feels great in the hand and has a fatter grip.
I agree. I tossed up between the KP and the K-70, and although I was partly motivated by price, having a solid grip was something I took into account.
Ironically, I still prefer the K-50 grip, as it's more rounded whereas the K-70 is a bit more angular, but there's still plenty to hold onto.