Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2019, 06:05 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone using a K70?

Currently I use two Pentax Kx cameras. Maybe it is a whim, but I have been thinking of going for a K70 with the 18 - 135 mm lens. I am thinking the 24 Mp sensor will give me more resolution in my landscapes and thus a better quality in my photos. I am retired and on a fixed income and would sell one of my Kx cameras with its kit lens and maybe my 35-80 lens. Just wondering if there are any here that will give me an honest and objective opinion about stepping up from the Kx to the K70. Thank you all, in advance.

11-12-2019, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum! I have been into photography as an interest for a long time, having shot film for many decades before digital came along, and even continued with film until I felt digital could equal or improve over film. I've used numerous bodies, including the next model after the K-x, the K-r. By then I was primarily using a Pentax flagship body, and got the K-r as my secondary compact DSLR.

After some years with my K-r in this capacity, I gave it away in favor of getting the predecessor to the K-70, the K-S2, which I still have, along with the K-5 IIs, a former flagship body, as well as the the current KP. The K-S2 is designed very much like the K-70 in terms of its controls, body quality having WR construction, 2-dial operation allowing use of the exclusive Pentax Hyper System of operation, a swing-out rear LCD screen, and more, along with its 20mp sensor. These were among numerous improvements of the K-S2 over the K-r, Even better low light performance and potential for improved overall image quality, even for JPEGs right out of the camera.

The current K-70 and KP bodies offer even yet more improvement in low light performance as well as in all around image quality, and yet more advanced features. If you often shoot JPEGs, be sure to implement "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus for maximum detail in your images, which the more advanced sensor is capable of. Especially in the most often-used "Bright" category. Very important. Any problem doing this and we can walk your through it.

Short answer- yes, a K-70 is definitely an upgrade for the type of use you mention, as well as other uses. For casual photos of family and friends, etc. you might not find a substantial difference. The DA 18-135mm lens is also a very definite upgrade over the old kit zoom lens. it is much more versatile, has very quiet, accurate AF, excellent construction for a non-pro style zoom lens, and its performance, particularly in the usual landscape FL range of 18-50mm, is exceptional also. It is even capable of good close-ups. The deal offered these days when bought with the K-70 as a combo, offered by B&H and others is hard to beat. Among the many lenses I own, including expensive pro-built types, The DA 18-135mm is indeed my go-to lens for all around use.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-12-2019 at 06:43 PM.
11-12-2019, 07:59 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My only negative comment is that the K-x doesn't have very much value, so you're not likely to get much for it. I've seen used K-70s go for 400 or so on eBay with the 18-135 if you are patient.

That said, the upgrade from K-x to K-70 is quite big. 2 control dials, flippy screen MUCH better high-ISO, better focusing, MUCH better focusing in low-light, better battery system, higher MP, per-lens micro adjustment. The sheer joy of using it will be expanded amazingly. The actual IQ difference at screen resolution or less isn't that big, but it's there. For large prints, or a 4k monitor, or if you love pixel peeping, the difference is larger.

If you find a K-S2 for less, go that way. The difference between K-S2 and K-70 isn't enormous, but at a small premium, the K-70 is definitely better.
11-12-2019, 08:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The K-x was my first Pentax DSLR (although not first Pentax), then I upgraded to a K-50, and this year to a K-70. Even going from a K-50 to the K-70, I've found the upgrade worthwhile.
Things I've appreciated about the upgrade:
better high ISO performance. I felt the K-50 was about one stop better than the K-x, and the K-70 seems like one stop up again on the K-50, so with the K-x I tended to limit myself to ISO800, I can get acceptable images at ISO3200 on the K-70.
The in viewfinder focal point indicators are a huge help in the K-70 (the K-50 has them as well, also the level indicator, and the dual control wheels.)
For landscapes, I mostly work in A priority mode, with one control wheel to set the aperture, and the other to set ISO. With the single control wheel on the K-x I found it slow if I needed to change ISO.
The extra bit depth (14 vs 12) means the K-70 can capture a greater dynamic range, and no AA filter means generally more detail.
The articulating screen is nice to have, although I haven't used it much yet.
The same could be said of wi-fi although I did have a situation recently, where without wi-fi and the Android app, I would have missed an image.
For landscape, I'd suggest other than the 18-135, consider the 16-85. This seems to get very good reviews, and the extra width would be handy for landscapes. The 18-135 seems a bit mixed in reviews, but the 16-85 isn't much more expensive and seems to rate higher.
This is probably on my future shopping list, although I currently have a Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 that tends to be my workhorse landscape lens.

11-12-2019, 08:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like you, I too am retired and on a fixed income. Allows me to enjoy photography so much more. I upgraded from a K50 to a K70. The difference is very significant. Much better low light, high ISO performance and much improved dynamic range. The fully articulated rear screen is very useful, especially as I get older. Lately, I've been dabbling in astro work and the astrotracer mode with the optional O-GPS1 add-on unit is great. It provides built in capabilities that you could only get from some sort of mechanical or motorized equatorial mount system. The 24mp sensor gives you ample resolution. I can make 13 X 19 prints with heaving cropping easily. For your landscape work, the pixel shift resolution mode is just amazing, provided there is not much motion in the scene. It provides even more dynamic range and color depth. This is just comparing it to a K50. I would imagine the difference between a KX and a K70 would be huge. The 18-135mm lens is a very good lens. Very versatile. Paired with the 55-300mm plm version (which will not work on the KX) would be a very good, complete kit that could be used for almost anything one would want to shoot.

Last edited by DWS1; 11-12-2019 at 08:25 PM.
11-12-2019, 09:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
Currently I use two Pentax Kx cameras. Maybe it is a whim, but I have been thinking of going for a K70 with the 18 - 135 mm lens. I am thinking the 24 Mp sensor will give me more resolution in my landscapes and thus a better quality in my photos. I am retired and on a fixed income and would sell one of my Kx cameras with its kit lens and maybe my 35-80 lens. Just wondering if there are any here that will give me an honest and objective opinion about stepping up from the Kx to the K70. Thank you all, in advance.
Before you purchase a K-70, I would suggest that you read at least through the following Threads in PF's K-70 Section
K-70 Exposure issues - PentaxForums.com
K 70 Exposure metering puzzle - PentaxForums.com
K70 aperture block? - PentaxForums.com

In short, predecessor cameras such as the K-30 and K-50 tended to develop exposure issues. Pentax seems to have changed the design, but some problems seem to still exist.
11-12-2019, 10:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

K-70 is a beast of a camera I still use on the regular. A very large step up from the K-x

11-12-2019, 10:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Well, as an alternative, specifically for the shorter FL end, the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM constant aperture pro-style lens is also a very worthwhile consideration. Very sharp lens, and you get even greater expansion of low light capabilities. Does not offer WR as do the Pentax lenses, however.

For landscapes in brighter light, or with a tripod, since with landscapes a smaller aperture is generally used when possible, the DA 18-135mm will perform as well when stopped down even a little compared with the DA 16-85mm lens in the 18-50mm range, and the latter is also more expensive. But then one has more wide angle while the other has more tele range.
11-12-2019, 10:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian

A second hand KP would be an even bigger improvement, if the price was right.
11-13-2019, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I "upgraded" from a K-5 to a K70 about a year ago, primarily for the increase in resolution, I wasn't disappointed! The improvement in low-light performance was also a considerable bonus. However, the K-70 is extensively "menu-driven", with several "user-modes" than can be configured to suit personal preferences. I would strongly recommend taking your time to go through the manual comprehensively and get the camera set up to suit your preferences. I discovered that chasing through menus in the field to find an obscure setting whilst the light changed or the potential subject found it's way into the next parish to be very frustrating

Having used the K70 for a year I've just "upgraded" to a KP, for the extra a/f capabilities. The improved low-light capabilities are a further revelation! The extra knobs and switches are welcome, but there's still a degree of pre-configuration required to maximise it's use

Whichever choice you make (if either), enjoy
11-13-2019, 02:03 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I'm seconding kypfer's comments above. Although I went from a K-S2 to the K-70 there was a notable improvement to my eye, especially with post-processing 14 bit raw vs 12 bit, and ability to crop slightly more.

Go through the manual, it's a fantastic camera and I'm still learning features on it several months after I picked it up. It's very capable, light, weather-resistant and easy to handle camera. I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed especially with such a large difference in age of the camera.

Yes, there are reports of the solenoid failing, but these are fairly rare and seem to become prevalent after a long period of no use. If, like me, you're using only one camera, you're less likely to face the problem.
11-13-2019, 03:40 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
.....However, the K-70 is extensively "menu-driven", with several "user-modes" than can be configured to suit personal preferences. I would strongly recommend taking your time to go through the manual comprehensively and get the camera set up to suit your preferences. I discovered that chasing through menus in the field to find an obscure setting whilst the light changed or the potential subject found it's way into the next parish to be very frustrating.....
It is a good suggestion to set up the User Modes to suit your photography, but I'm not understanding "extensively menu driven" and the need for "chasing through menus". On the K-70 there are buttons and dials for instant access to the basics of image capture, many of which can be customised via Camera Menu 5. Many other image capture parameters are quickly accessible via the Info Button and Info Screen.

Philip
11-13-2019, 04:24 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I throw the venerable K5II or K5IIs in or even the K30/50 if repaired with the white solenoid (you need to google what that means).
The K5II and IIs are amazing bodies, only disadvantage:

- no KAF4 ability so PLM lenses cannot be used (or very limited just wide open, which is useless)
- no focus-peaking (which isn't that important really)

Both will give you a huge step up from the Kx and you have a much more robust and reliable body. Used prices are pretty low, a sample with shuttercount up to 20.000 isn't really to worry about.
Even cheaper the K5 but AF, particular low-light isn't on par with the MKII version!

You won't use your K-x at all anymore, you can sell both + the F35-80 which isn't up to the quality the K5 series can produce.

This way you have more money available for good lenses and it seems to me that's what you really need!

DA35/2,4 + DA50/1,8 spring in mind but of course there are many more.
Even the kit-lens 18-55WR is superior to your F35-80.
11-13-2019, 06:58 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
It is a good suggestion to set up the User Modes to suit your photography, but I'm not understanding "extensively menu driven" and the need for "chasing through menus". On the K-70 there are buttons and dials for instant access to the basics of image capture, many of which can be customised via Camera Menu 5. Many other image capture parameters are quickly accessible via the Info Button and Info Screen.
Philip
If wanting to change metering mode or a/f selection (spot - multi), for examples, there's no immediate access to these functions without taking the camera from the eye, opening menus or the "control panel", choosing which feature one wishes to adjust, then re-mounting the camera and re-finding the subject, hoping the whole while that the subject is still within range. Almost as bad, if, like myself, one "suffers" from big hands, the four-way controller can be too easily activated accidently and can be best configured to only respond to a "two-push" activation ... so, again, it's a case of taking down the camera, then pushing and poking buttons to change the drive mode. As for "chasing through menus" ... being aware of a particular capability or feature, but not being able to find it when wanted in a hurry, can be really annoying!

My point is that, whilst all this functionality is available, the need for personal customisation of the "User Modes" makes actually using the camera "in the field" a much more satisfying experience than it might otherwise be. This opinion is purely my own, based on around 20,000 exposures over the last 12 months or so whilst using the K-70. The very fact that it so customisable and so extensively flexible is what can make it both satisfying and frustrating ... of course, you've then got to remember exactly which combination of functions have been allocated to U1, U2 and U3

Inevitably, YMMV

Last edited by kypfer; 11-13-2019 at 07:05 AM.
11-13-2019, 10:51 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Inevitably, YMMV
Now that I can agree with!

As for the rest, I also agree with your positive points but your negatives are not issues that I find to be problematic.

Perhaps we might agree that, in terms of features, image quality, and value for money, the K-70 is a great Pentax DSLR and, as a significant upgrade from the K-x, it would be a step forward into an exciting new world of photographic potential and opportunities for Chas (the OP).

Philip