Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2020, 01:32 PM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by Pelto Quote
I just did this tutorial on my K-70 this morning, with the white spare solenoide bought on eBay.
Camera testet the hole day, and it is working flawlessly .
Thank you so much ‘Photogem’ for this tutorial, it made it so much easier.
Link to good white solenoide on eBay
Thank you for the link... That's the one I purchased as well.

09-29-2020, 03:48 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Apostle Quote
Hello... I am new here, but am pretty adept to fixing electronics. Last night I took apart my K-70 for this repair and everything was going smoothly. When I tested the AF/MF switch I could not get the screwdriver mechanism to engage when flipping the AF/MF switch back and forth. I took the front off and put back in several times to no avail. Then I looked deeper and realized that part of the inside of the mechanism was missing. I can't imagine this is a piece that slides in and out of that little hole, does it? If so, I have no clue where it went. I even dragged a huge magnet all over my work area and could not find anything.

So, question is, where would I even find this piece? I looked on eBay and didn't see anything. For reference, here is a picture of what's missing (circled in red).
Can you upload a photo how the inner part of the switch looks now.
I guess you mean that rod which looks pretty similar to that one (red arrow) of the K-30:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/85274-photogem/albums/13024-sole...ture127300.jpg
I have to look tomorrow if I have any spare-parts which might be similar or at least how you could find one.
But I have already another idea how we might be able to solve this, I sent a PM to another member already.
09-29-2020, 06:42 PM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Can you upload a photo how the inner part of the switch looks now.
I guess you mean that rod which looks pretty similar to that one (red arrow) of the K-30:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/85274-photogem/albums/13024-sole...ture127300.jpg
I have to look tomorrow if I have any spare-parts which might be similar or at least how you could find one.
But I have already another idea how we might be able to solve this, I sent a PM to another member already.
Appreciate the help.
Attached Images

09-30-2020, 01:14 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, very obvious, this tiny rod is missing. The problem is, it is fixed very tight into the hole, I can only guess that here we have a fault that was already there, the rod was not tight and then got loose when you assembled your K70.

Now, for the time being try to fix that part somehow into which this rod slides into so you have the screwdrive out of the hole and thus can use AF.

09-30-2020, 04:59 AM - 3 Likes   #50

Just finished fixing my K-70, died after some 14.000 shots and 2 years

It would be almost impossibe without wonderfull photogem instructions, thank you - I owe you a big one!

As white solenoid source K100D was used, bought almost new on eBay and despite of EU source it had a white one in the flash unit.

Green bastard is out, lying dead and waiting punishment!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ANE-LX1  Photo 

Last edited by krbo; 09-30-2020 at 11:42 AM.
09-30-2020, 08:16 AM   #51

It might be good to add a small amount of solder once the new rod is inserted.

Yes, very obvious, this tiny rod is missing. The problem is, it is fixed very tight into the hole, I can only guess that here we have a fault that was already there, the rod was not tight and then got loose when you assembled your K70.

Now, for the time being try to fix that part somehow into which this rod slides into so you have the screwdrive out of the hole and thus can use AF.
09-30-2020, 09:31 PM   #52

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks, guys.
10-01-2020, 12:27 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It might be good to add a small amount of solder once the new rod is inserted.
I am not sure solder will hold it. This is stainless steel.
Anyway, part is on the way!

10-16-2020, 05:40 AM   #54
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krbo Quote
Just finished fixing my K-70, died after some 14.000 shots and 2 years

It would be almost impossibe without wonderfull photogem instructions, thank you - I owe you a big one!

As white solenoid source K100D was used, bought almost new on eBay and despite of EU source it had a white one in the flash unit.

Green bastard is out, lying dead and waiting punishment!
If the lessons learned from the K-30/50 hold here, the 2 years is much more important than the 14K exposures is - solenoid “wearing out” seems to be much more dependent on calendar time than on exposures.
10-16-2020, 09:28 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If the lessons learned from the K-30/50 hold here, the 2 years is much more important than the 14K exposures is - solenoid “wearing out” seems to be much more dependent on calendar time than on exposures.
Funny mine failed after 18 months and just under 5,000 exposures, no rhyme or reason electronics is like that, it will run a long time or not.
10-21-2020, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Appreciate the help.
See attached picture showing where to place the missing rod
Attached Images

10-23-2020, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #57

Appreciate all the help. This thread saved the camera for sure. The battery fits a bit tighter than it did before, but the camera is up and running normal.
10-24-2020, 04:54 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Appreciate all the help. This thread saved the camera for sure. The battery fits a bit tighter than it did before, but the camera is up and running normal.
I was very happy to hear your camera is back in action, when mine failed I too was very upset but glad to have it fixed.
Congratulations and Kudo's to @Photogem; for his input!

Cheers
10-25-2020, 12:29 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
You are welcome.
About the battery fitting tighter:
The battery-compartment of the K-70 should actually not at all be affected by the disassembly/assembly but two parts could cause a tightness:
- the internal screw which some try to get lose which would be a mistake, because there is no need to do so and if, it would get jammed because it doesn't move freely but would screw into the side plastic of the compartment. I added that into the tutorial just in case, because the K30/50/500 and K-S1 do request that !screw to be lossened!
- the batteryhook sits on a beryllium-copper spring which might have been dislocated?

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Congratulations and Kudo's to @Photogem; for his input!
Thank you..... would have been a shame not to get such a great body properly repaired!
10-26-2020, 09:01 AM   #60

You are welcome.
About the battery fitting tighter:
The battery-compartment of the K-70 should actually not at all be affected by the disassembly/assembly but two parts could cause a tightness:
- the internal screw which some try to get lose which would be a mistake, because there is no need to do so and if, it would get jammed because it doesn't move freely but would screw into the side plastic of the compartment. I added that into the tutorial just in case, because the K30/50/500 and K-S1 do request that !screw to be lossened!
- the batteryhook sits on a beryllium-copper spring which might have been dislocated?
[COLOR=Silver]
I was careful to not touch the screw that's deep down within the battery compartment. I don't think it's a spring issue either. The batter feels tighter all the way in and all the way out. It's really not a big deal - the camera works and that's what matters.