Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2022, 01:20 AM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DCalciu Quote
Thank you very much Photogem!
I succeeded to replace the green solenoid in my K-70 with the white one from my DS – flash release mechanism.
I installed the green one in the DS and now both are working very well!
Well done, and particular as your K-70 benefited from the almost eldest of the bunch!

QuoteOriginally posted by DCalciu Quote
For those who want to open the top plate of the DS I uploaded a few pictures.
There are several *ist-D-Series service-manuals online.

- Here the DS:
How to fix Pentax ist* D DS DL Camera: Pentax ist* DS disassembling, part 1 of 2
https://elektrotanya.com/pentax_istds.pdf/download.html
You only need to take one screw out deep in the battery compartment!
The other one better stays because if fixes important parts which then get lose.

- Same for the first Pentax DSRL, the *istD, here on page 7:
Disassembly And Assembly Procedures; Disassembly Procedure Of Main Body - Pentax ist D Service Manual [Page 7] | ManualsLib

- And the same for the *istDL:
Pentax Ist DL Service Manual (Page 8 of 71) | ManualsLib
As you can see on page 2:
Only screw #5 (in your drawing #8) needs to come of, this is the one towards the outside.

From the K100D onwards it is only 1 screw at this place.

Only the K-S2 and K-70 don't have any screws there to be removed ...
... but yet there sits one screw but one doesn't touch it, it would be hard to get it out anyway.

Last edited by photogem; 04-12-2022 at 01:26 AM.
04-13-2022, 03:18 AM - 1 Like   #92

Thank you Photogem

I updated the diagram.
Thank again for the links. Very useful.
05-04-2022, 10:02 AM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
As I cannot alter the original post anymore but can do so in the DIY section,
a few changes/last refinements:
Tutorial/Repair Pentax K-70 with aperture-problem: Exchange solenoid - PentaxForums.com
05-30-2022, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #94

It all worked! I bought the part, followed instructions*, checked everything out. Pictures on my K-70 are no longer dark. THANK YOU!

* I did not print the photos/paste to cardboard as you suggested, but wish I had for the first (bottom) photo. Why? There are some screws with same length that have different threads. I only noticed the length, not the threads. Also, the top didnít want to lift 1cm, so I pulled it a bit too hard. The ribbon cable near the shutter detached. I figured that was the end of my repair. Instead, I carefully flipped the tiny lever open, inserted the cable, closed the lever, and amazingly it stuck. The ribbon cable connection must be ok since the camera works.

Until I found this forum, I was convinced it was my lens.

Thanks again for the clear instructions and detail.

05-31-2022, 02:17 AM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reslcs Quote
It all worked! I bought the part, followed instructions*, checked everything out. Pictures on my K-70 are no longer dark.
Well done and welcome in this forum.

* I did not print the photos/paste to cardboard as you suggested, but wish I had for the first (bottom) photo. Why? There are some screws with same length that have different threads. I only noticed the length, not the threads.
Yes, the threads depend for the material they screw into, some into plastic, others into metal.
But screws on other parts are of different length etc. as well.
For example with the K-S1 one screw if "screwed up", i.e. the wrong screw used at a particular place, will have a damaged micro switch
(because the screw is too long, touches and jams the switch)

Also, the top didnít want to lift 1cm, so I pulled it a bit too hard.
I know it doesn't come off easy, so one stays gentle!

The ribbon cable near the shutter detached. I figured that was the end of my repair. Instead, I carefully flipped the tiny lever open, inserted the cable, closed the lever, and amazingly it stuck. The ribbon cable connection must be ok since the camera works.
This was lucky, because with a too strong pull this ribbon-cable could get damaged.

Until I found this forum, I was convinced it was my lens.
How did you find this forum, what words did you use to search for the problem?

Thanks again for the clear instructions and detail.
Thanks!
06-01-2022, 04:30 PM - 2 Likes   #96

To find the forum, I searched "Pentax K-70 dark". It took me to the post called "Pentax K-70 dark photos" and I found your post with link to these instructions. This repair would normally be beyond me. Given the steps you provided, I decided I could do it. I did buy a new soldering iron similar to the one you suggested, about $12. Mine didn't have any temperature control or pencil tip.
06-03-2022, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #97

Thanks a lot for your post with a clear explanation and good shots!