Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2020, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Well, it is not common-sense really that tells you those things.
Common-sense needs real food to grow.
Real food is exerience, i.e. having opened a K30/50 or similar so you know how the WR sealings work.

And then you'll find out that nothing goes wrong, the sealing is not damaged at all, not in the slightest.

So no (real) danger but just (imagined) worry

04-07-2020, 11:40 AM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Well, it is not common-sense really that tells you those things.
Common-sense needs real food to grow.
Real food is exerience, i.e. having opened a K30/50 or similar so you know how the WR sealings work.

And then you'll find out that nothing goes wrong, the sealing is not damaged at all, not in the slightest.

So no (real) danger but just (imagined) worry
Question: One thing I didn't think of. Will the solenoid from K10d work on the K70?
04-07-2020, 10:58 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amg2000 Quote
Question: One thing I didn't think of. Will the solenoid from K10d work on the K70?
Yes, of course!
Only this tiny screw fixes it on the left instead of the right side.
But this isn't a problem, both solenoids are made with holes on left and right side.
04-20-2020, 01:18 PM   #34

Where to buy solenoid?f

Does anyone have a link where this solenoid can be purchased?

04-21-2020, 12:28 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
ebay com
genuine white solenoid Pentax

or any Pentax DSLR up to the K-r.
as well as Samsung equivalents
05-21-2020, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #36

I got the white solenoid out of my K10d last week, it was as easy as pie. In the interim I did some practice soldering (just on wires I had laying around), then I took the battery out of my K70 3 days ago. I finally got to following your instructions this afternoon. Took me a while, the K70 was much harder to open than the K10d was. I was able to remove the green solenoid and replace it with the white. Soldering was tough, but I tested the wires by pulling on them with my tweezers. Took a couple of tries to get the MF/AF thingamabob to line up. The camera's all put back together again and no underexposed frame with optical, and no overexposed frame with live view. Thank you Photogem!

Non-K70 related, but Pentax related. I pulled out my K50 and used it over the last week (I bought it in 2014, shot probably 40-50,000 exposures, no aperture problem...so far!) I realized that 2 lenses I bought and only used on my K70 (a 20-40 limited and a 15 limited) both required beyond -10 AF correction. When using live view I get perfect AF, but those two lenses are off the scale when I try to do corrections on them. I'm going to have to see how some of my other lenses are, maybe I just never noticed the camera is off.
Still, happy to have my K70 working again!
05-24-2020, 05:55 AM   #37

The most difficult part for me was soldering the pink and the lilac wires to the solenoid, there wasn't much slack and I was worried burning the plastic coating. Fortunately my hands were steady, I'm not a drinker (anymore) and I also waited until long after I drank my coffee!

05-24-2020, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well done.
I would check the other lenses!
Soldering: With a very thin tip I never touched the plastic. The ones I have (3) are really thin and sharp like a pencil.
06-21-2020, 09:42 PM   #39

Correct solenoid?

A YouTube video was recently posted showing a solenoid pulled from an MZ-50 film camera and put into a K-30. Can anyone confirm whether that is an acceptable replacement part? I have been thinking of buying a spare camera as a donor, expecting my K-50 or K-70 to fail in the future. I already have a Mz-50 that came with a used lens I wanted but don't know if that solenoid is the same.
06-22-2020, 06:42 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Particular no SLR Solenoid but only a DSLR Solenoid for the K70.

There are slight differences which I have explained HERE and HERE
Those solenoids have a slightly different holding force and when one studies the diaphragm controlblock alone (not in the camera).
Get an *istD upwards and use that one.
I had tried several times. Some had opposite polarisation which isn't that difficult to solve, one just has to extend cables or swap them on the board but the danger is that you have the opposite effect, i.e. overexposed photos.
06-22-2020, 07:34 PM   #41

Thanks. Much appreciated.
07-05-2020, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by amg2000 Quote
The most difficult part for me was soldering the pink and the lilac wires to the solenoid, there wasn't much slack and I was worried burning the plastic coating. Fortunately my hands were steady, I'm not a drinker (anymore) and I also waited until long after I drank my coffee!
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Well done.
I would check the other lenses!
Soldering: With a very thin tip I never touched the plastic. The ones I have (3) are really thin and sharp like a pencil.
I had to share this for those having a hard time with the "soldering Tip[" here is an excellent solution!
Making a Fine Tip for Your Solding Iron for SMD Soldering - Instructables

Last edited by SharkyCA; 07-05-2020 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Adding Tag
07-06-2020, 12:41 AM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A modern soldering-tip is made out of special materials:

The front that can 'hold" and melt the solder and give it off neatly to the parts to be soldered so that the solder "flows"

Temperature and possibly temperature-control are important.

I had situations when a soldering-tip broke and I had to improvise but I would never use it for such fine soldering.

Such a solution is critical for several reasons:
- you don't want the tip being able to move/slide/rotate at all (and with heat copper does expand!)

- you don't want the solder to stick/glue to the tip, particular if you have to apply just a very short contact

So as well this is meant, it is not a recommended solution.

A USB soldering needle is cheap:
Portable USB Soldering Iron Gun LCD Digital Adjustable Temperature Welding New | eBay

and for $10 one can get something that still works much safer:
amazon.com: URBEST Electric Soldering Iron Kit, Adjustable Temperature Welding Soldering Iron with 5pcs Different Tips: Home Improvement?tag=pentaxforums-20&
08-08-2020, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #44

I just did this tutorial on my K-70 this morning, with the white spare solenoide bought on eBay.
Camera testet the hole day, and it is working flawlessly .
Thank you so much ‘Photogem’ for this tutorial, it made it so much easier.
Link to good white solenoide on eBay
09-29-2020, 01:26 PM   #45

Hello... I am new here, but am pretty adept to fixing electronics. Last night I took apart my K-70 for this repair and everything was going smoothly. When I tested the AF/MF switch I could not get the screwdriver mechanism to engage when flipping the AF/MF switch back and forth. I took the front off and put back in several times to no avail. Then I looked deeper and realized that part of the inside of the mechanism was missing. I can't imagine this is a piece that slides in and out of that little hole, does it? If so, I have no clue where it went. I even dragged a huge magnet all over my work area and could not find anything.

So, question is, where would I even find this piece? I looked on eBay and didn't see anything. For reference, here is a picture of what's missing (circled in red).
Attached Images