Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2019, 02:37 PM - 12 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Saying goodbye to the K-70

No, it's NOT what you think. I have been using the K-70 for about 30 months now and I dearly loved it and still do but it got ripped out of my hands, STOLEN by my own daughter! She has been shooting a K-3 with grip for a number of years and got a little frustrated with high-ISO performance and slow focus under low light. I'm just a poor amateur but she is an aspiring young photographer who does predominantly pop/rock concerts, intimate portraits under bad lighting conditions etc.

She always thought my K-70 was a bit "plastic fantastic" (her words entirely) and with it she wouldn't be taken seriously by her patrons. Last week she yielded and took the K-70 - MY K-70 - with her to an evening-long concert as a second camera. She came home with 100 K-3 shots and 1200 K-70 exposures! The K-70 exposures were so much cleaner even at ISO6400 (and up to ISO10K even) that she spent about a quarter of the time post processing them. The focus on 30% of the K-3 was off. All 1200 exposures on the K-70 were spot-on sharp.

She then turned her 24-year old cash-starved eyes on her old poor dad and said "what would you do if I wanted to use your camera more often" and I fell for it, lock, stock and barrel. I said I'd have to look around for something else - what would a good father do otherwise in such a situation?

So, to cut a long story short, my KP will be delivered this Saturday. I would have bought the K-70 again but the price difference in a local Xmas sale came down to only €200 and I'm dedicated to APS-C and want small & light in my travel bag (an age thing maybe?) - so for only €669 the KP was just too good to pass up.

Absolutely thrilled even though I've been robbed cold...

12-24-2019, 03:01 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

What a great Dad you are, and may I say, your daughter has excellent taste in photographic equipment

Congrats on the new KP! Enjoy it while you can... you do realise it's only a matter of time before she moves up to that, right?
12-24-2019, 03:01 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
N... but it got ripped out of my hands, STOLEN by my own daughter! She has been shooting a K-3 with grip for a number of years and got a little frustrated with high-ISO performance and slow focus under low light. I'm just a poor amateur but she is an aspiring young photographer who does predominantly pop/rock concerts, intimate portraits under bad lighting conditions etc. .,.
Absolutely thrilled even though I've been robbed cold...
Daughters don't steal, they USE your stuff that you kindly lend to them to show off for you how valuable you are to them.
12-24-2019, 03:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Very nice, now as my Mike said, you better keep your hands tight on the KP and use it lots while you can!
Maybe worth investing in a safe.

12-24-2019, 03:33 PM   #5
Pentaxian

If you told her what you've bought, yours could be the shortest ever KP ownership - particularly if she knows it can take a battery grip.

Philip
12-24-2019, 03:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It'll be the KP next, then when you get a K-1 II ... lenses next
12-24-2019, 03:43 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
Daughters don't steal, they USE your stuff that you kindly lend to them to show off for you how valuable you are to them.
YES .... my younger daughter has joked about the number of times she ‘accidentally’ taken a particular sweatshirt home. From the OP’s experience, I should be glad it is not a camera. At least the OP has ended up with an outstanding camera as a result of this ‘thieving’.

12-24-2019, 04:49 PM   #8
Pentaxian

My K3 was appropriated by my son for a couple of years. I have it back now that he's bought his own D850. I've been enjoying reacquainting myself with it lately.

The KP looks an amazing option. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I'm waiting to see more details of the K-new before I consider any APS-C upgrade.
12-24-2019, 04:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Very sweet. Now, what's to become of that third wheel K-3?
12-24-2019, 05:27 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
So, to cut a long story short, my KP will be delivered this Saturday.
Win-win for both of you, excellent.
12-24-2019, 07:28 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can totally relate. Every time I want to do a weekend project, I have to plan on it taking 2 weekends. The first is spent going to my kids' homes and gathering up all my tools.
12-24-2019, 07:58 PM   #12
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
your daughter has excellent taste in photographic equipment
Hey, look at that - another young Pentaxian! Always glad to hear there's more of us. @bertwert

Also, I'm fascinated to hear that comparison between the K-3 and the K-70. I used a K-30 for four years before moving to the K-3, primarily for the boost in performance. The image quality bump was noticeable, but the ISO usability was still a little constraining (another stop better would be all I'd need!) So, glad to hear this experience, the comparison is helpful when it's not really possible to go try the latest gear (I'm a slow adopter )
12-24-2019, 11:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Well, whatever you do better not upgrade to a better camera than the k-70 or it'll get stolen too.
Time to adopt a Pentax Q haha
12-25-2019, 03:47 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like a conspiracy to me. It is a bit too convenient. Thanks for the idea!
12-25-2019, 04:59 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The K-70 ad KP look like two excellent cameras. I didn't realize the K-70 photos where such a huge improvement over the K-3 and now I'm getting the urge to purchase one of them.