Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2020, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #1

Best settings on K-70. Manual focus lensing.

Hi Pentax folks,

I've decided to commit to manual focus lenses for some work (Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 and Samyang 14mm f/2.8). Anyone have any thoughts on the best on-board camera settings for some focus assist (K-70)? Not sure how to proceed. It's my understanding that there's an on-board "beep" when the lens is in focus (?). But I've also read that this is not reliable at all. My tests seem to show that. But again, I might have incorrect camera settings.

A HUGE thank you in advance to all that reply.

If I'm posting in the wrong forum space, my apologies.

02-06-2020, 07:24 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Engineworks Quote
Hi Pentax folks,

I've decided to commit to manual focus lenses for some work (Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 and Samyang 14mm f/2.8). Anyone have any thoughts on the best on-board camera settings for some focus assist (K-70)? Not sure how to proceed. It's my understanding that there's an on-board "beep" when the lens is in focus (?). But I've also read that this is not reliable at all. My tests seem to show that. But again, I might have incorrect camera settings.

one of the things that helped me moving to manual-focus lenses was to change all of my cameras' viewers with a magnifying viewer - it has helped dramatically...
02-06-2020, 07:36 PM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't have a K-70, but I've found the focus indicator (in manual focus) unreliable on the K10D, K20D, and K-5IIs to be unreliable.
02-06-2020, 08:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The most reliable way I have done manual focusing is on a tripod using live view, magnification, and focus peaking, It's spot on everytime, but you can't really do that handholding, for that pepperberry's solution seems good. I don't know if you can still get split image viewfinder screens but they were handy on film cameras.

02-06-2020, 09:01 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is a progression of approaches:
  1. Zone focusing using the distance scale on the lens. When combined with narrower aperture, this may be amazingly effective, though not adequate for fine focus
  2. One can use the optical viewfinder, though the ability of the stock focus screen to detect an out-of-focus subject is not adequate for fine focus. In simplest terms, the ability is no better than what might be accomplished with a maximum aperture of f/4.5 regardless of the actual maximum aperture.
  3. Use of a viewfinder magnifier is reported to improve the performance of the stock focus screen
  4. Manual focus confirmation using the PDAF system will provide ability to detect OOF as reliably as with the auto focus
  5. More sensitive and precise focus may attained by replacing the stock focus screen with one having a split-image focus or other scheme (e.g. S-type screen) to allow for easy fine focus
  6. The gold standard is magnified live view where you see exactly what will be captured on the image sensor. I have found focus-peaking to be problematic with some subjects and don't use it, but to each their own.

Steve

(...about 1/3 of my Flickr stream is manual focus using a split-image aftermarket screen on a Pentax dSLR...LINK...not a solution I would suggest until one has grown frustrated with other options...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-07-2020 at 08:51 AM.
02-07-2020, 12:04 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Live view with focus peaking to get the initial shot, then bracket a couple of shots on either side of that. The focus confirmation beep isn't, particularly reliable, particularly with the lens wide open.
02-07-2020, 04:01 AM   #7

Have you tried using Catch in Focus? Catch-in-Focus Tutorial - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

I have used manual focus on my K70 with various old K mount lenses and found that in a walk about hand holding situation having catch in focus works well for static shots where you didn't need instant reactions. IE landscape and urban.
Catch in Focus though can prevent you getting the photo though if things are moving to fast and you are better off using burst and just pulling focus.

Manual focus and below F4 you are going to risk getting the target out of focus. If using a tripod then you can take your time and pixel peep with live view.
02-07-2020, 09:27 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Qman Quote
Live view with focus peaking to get the initial shot, then bracket a couple of shots on either side of that.
I will second that. I have been using automatic bracketing +/- 1 and 2 f stops with all of my shooting, then reviewing the images with the histogram displayed to choose the image (of the 5 shot) that has the best dynamic range (the other 4 go into the bit bucket).

02-08-2020, 12:36 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Tripod and live view with focus peaking is the best way to do it. Fortunately when shooting landscapes with 14mm and other wide angles focusing isnīt that picky since the area in focus is quite long. Adding smaller aperture get focus area even longer.
Of course if the subject is in front focusing is more critical, so were back on the tripod.
And zone focusing, magnifiers, focus bracketing etc also helps.
02-27-2020, 02:25 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Engineworks Quote
Hi Pentax folks,

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
one of the things that helped me moving to manual-focus lenses was to change all of my cameras' viewers with a magnifying viewer - it has helped dramatically...
Just adding in my 2 cents, I was reading the posts and thinking of the "magnifying viewer" option and came across this article at B&H Photo, I think it will address a lot of questions on focusing the diopter for a few members. Calibrating the Diopter of Your Camera | B&H Explora

Cheers
02-27-2020, 03:13 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I found it reasonably reliable when I was concentrating on what was being focussed on when I owned a K-70. As Pepperberry Farm mentions, a magnifying viewfinder certainly helps.
Otherwise, definitely use Live-View. You can zoom in on the area you're focussing on and have 'peaking' to accentuate the areas that are sharp and not.