Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2020, 08:03 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K70 Removing Stuck Battery

I have a pretty new K70 DSLR and the battery is stuck in the battery slot. Probably I inserted it incorrectly, but in my other cameras that is usually hard to do. How can I safely remove the battery? It will not simply slide out when the small retaining latch is held back. Thanks for any help.

05-30-2020, 08:16 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmm, I can insert the battery in my K-70 backwards but not upside-down.

This might seem overly obvious, but have you tried pulling back the little retaining latch while the battery compartment is facing downward, letting gravity do the work?

Last edited by luftfluss; 05-30-2020 at 08:33 AM. Reason: typo
05-30-2020, 08:27 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it pops up a little, grab the edges with needle nose pliers, if not carefully try some tweezers. If that doesn't work try taking a piece of duct tape about four inches long and stick the middle of it on top of the battery, nudge the battery hook (retainer) out of the way and gently pull it up. I have no idea it that will work but it is worth a try. Last resort might be to carefully glue a makeshift handle on top to pull with. Toolmakers sometimes remove broken bolts by welding a shaft on them, same principle.

Once you battery is out dispose of it if it is in correctly and has swollen, when they swell they are going bad.

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 05-30-2020 at 04:29 PM.
05-30-2020, 08:57 AM   #4

Take extreme care that you do not puncture the casing on the battery cells and damage the layers inside. The batteries can catch fire If this happens do not try to extinguish with water as lithium reacts with water.

05-30-2020, 08:47 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax brand battery? I had a wasabi battery swell and was almost stuck in my K-30.
05-30-2020, 09:20 PM   #6

If you want to try a small screwdriver to pry it out, pull out the rubber piece that fills the gap where the external adapter goes. That will allow access below the battery edge. As previously mentioned, don't pierce the battery.

More involved: try adhering something to act as a puller. The battery can be replaced if damaged. I've done 'creative' repairs (not on cameras) by using a piece of aluminum or polymer and epoxy, super glue, or hot melt glue where holding by a tool is not possible or desired. Like those car body dent pullers that magically work on tv adverts.
06-01-2020, 10:29 AM - 2 Likes   #7
DMD
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all for the suggestions. I was able to remove the stuck battery using a medical hemostat, which operated much like a large tweezers. The battery had been inserted properly, but it was a generic version of the Pentax D-LI109. I had previously used this generic battery in my Pentax K30 without issue. But after extracting it from the K70, I tried reinserting it in the K30 and fit was tighter than I remembered. Maybe the generic battery had swelled slightly in size after having been stored for some time. This might be something for others to consider when purchasing and storing their camera batteries. The generic versions are attractive given the rather steep pricing of the Pentax branded batteries.
06-01-2020, 10:56 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm glad disaster was averted!

I don't currently use any 3rd party battery with my K-70, but I have two I use with my K-3 II and K-01. They are both Wasabi brand, which seems to have a pretty good reputation, and so far both are working well after two years of use. I've also read good things about Watson brand. Neither Wasabi battery provides as many shots as the genuine Pentax battery, but as @DMD noted, the Pentaxes are pricey.

06-01-2020, 12:47 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Have had several 3rd party batteries (D- Li109 clone, so same as used in K-70) swell so they wouldn't fit into the K-30.

Last edited by jeallen01; 06-01-2020 at 01:07 PM.
06-02-2020, 07:07 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I don't currently use any 3rd party battery with my K-70 ... but as @DMD noted, the Pentaxes are pricey.
After decades of using a variety of rechargeable batteries for work I am pretty fussy about them. Purpose-built rechargeables are often a close fit, and off-brand replacements are often prone to swelling and jamming. Off-brand replacements often do not perform as well as, or last as long as, the originals. Given the amount of money I have spent on my K-70, lenses, and other accessories, I consider the price of an original Pentax battery to be a worthwhile investment. I only have two because I carry an inverter in the Explorer and can recharge the spare in the field.