Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-03-2020, 02:45 PM   #1

Latest firmware

Hello, Don't laugh, this is extremely difficult for a 70 year old geezer...my 11 year old grandson could do this in his sleep but he lives 4,000 miles away. So I ask for your help. I am trying to install the latest firmware for my new K-70. The downloaded file reads as...fwdc234b7.bin. when I click on it the message I get is...Unable to expand fwde234b7.bin it is an unsupported file. None the less I tried both methods, directly pasting the file onto my memory card and attaching my camera to the MacBook Pro. when I press menu plus on button nothing happens. I think I am following the directions properly although when it says to paste the file into the root directory of the card I have no idea what that means. I know I am doing something wrong I just don't know what it is...do you?

06-03-2020, 02:56 PM   #2

Make sure the battery in the camera is fully charged before proceeding.

The .bin file does not to be uncompressed. Just copy it to the root folder on the card for the camera. Since you are doing this on your Mac, eject the card through finder. Put the card in your camera and go from there.
06-03-2020, 03:03 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pjbontheroad Quote
Hello, Don't laugh, this is extremely difficult for a 70 year old geezer...my 11 year old grandson could do this in his sleep but he lives 4,000 miles away. So I ask for your help. I am trying to install the latest firmware for my new K-70. The downloaded file reads as...fwdc234b7.bin. when I click on it the message I get is...Unable to expand fwde234b7.bin it is an unsupported file. None the less I tried both methods, directly pasting the file onto my memory card and attaching my camera to the MacBook Pro. when I press menu plus on button nothing happens. I think I am following the directions properly although when it says to paste the file into the root directory of the card I have no idea what that means. I know I am doing something wrong I just don't know what it is...do you?

Root folder is the first folder that opens on an empty card or any other disk.

When you take a picture your camera creates a single DCIM folder which has pictures in it. And that DCIM folder is in the root folder of the card.
So all you need to do is copy and paste the .bin firmware file to empty card.
06-03-2020, 03:37 PM - 2 Likes   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Make sure the battery in the camera is fully charged before proceeding.

The .bin file does not to be uncompressed. Just copy it to the root folder on the card for the camera. Since you are doing this on your Mac, eject the card through finder. Put the card in your camera and go from there.
Thank you. I tried several times and finally it worked.

---------- Post added 06-03-20 at 04:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zvon Quote
Root folder is the first folder that opens on an empty card or any other disk.

When you take a picture your camera creates a single DCIM folder which has pictures in it. And that DCIM folder is in the root folder of the card.
So all you need to do is copy and paste the .bin firmware file to empty card.
Thank you. It worked

06-03-2020, 05:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Glad you got the update done successfully. It's always a bit of a nail biter the first time you do it.