Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2020, 09:28 AM   #1

Manual focusing with the Natural-Bright-Matte III focusing screen

I have been trying to learn what I can about the K70 ahead of buying one soon. So I ask these questions in ignorance not having a K70 in hand at the moment to see for myself. Thanks in advance for any information you provide.

How does the focusing screen help and work with manual focusing? I am familiar with the SLR split screen focusing from my film days. But specifically how does the K-70 Natural-Bright-Matte III focusing screen work. I cannot seem to find any detailed information or images describing is function. Additionally, it is noted in the K70 specs as being interchangeable. Listed on their accessories are four additional focus screens: Focusing Screen AF Frame Matte MF-60, Focusing Screen AF Scale Matte MI-60, Focusing Screen AF Divided Matte ML-60, Focusing Screen Plain Matte ME-60.

Also, related to this how does the Viewfinder Focus Confirmation work to confirm focus. I understand setting focus points, but what and when does the confirmation take place and what would I see to identify focus?

06-16-2020, 10:24 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kronos Quote
How does the focusing screen help and work with manual focusing?
The stock screen is optimized for brightness and while adequate for manual focus, it is inadequate for fine focus. There are no focus aids (split image or microprism).

Focusing Screen AF Frame Matte MF-60, Focusing Screen AF Scale Matte MI-60, Focusing Screen AF Divided Matte ML-60, Focusing Screen Plain Matte ME-60.
Those are all variations on the MF-60 stock screen.

how does the Viewfinder Focus Confirmation work to confirm focus.
Focus confirmation uses the PDAF auto-focus system to signal when that system detects "in-focus". Its accuracy and precision is the same as when using auto-focus.

Many members here have found that viewfinder magnification using the Magnifier Eyecup O-ME53 or similar helps with manual focus. Others use magnified live view if critical focus is desired. I have a third-party focus screen with split-image/microprism focus aids.

Steve
06-16-2020, 01:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

For manual focus, I work more or less 50/50 between using focus-peaking in LiveView and with the O-ME53 Viewfinder Magnifier. For me, with my aging eye-sight, focus peaking is great with the camera on a tripod and time enough to relax and go about things in an orderly fashion. In a more "dynamic" scenario the viewfinder magnifier wins hands-down, but I'm a bit "old school" and still haven't come to grips with using a LiveView screen at arms length whilst waving the camera about trying to keep up with a moving subject

YMMV - Good luck!
06-17-2020, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Steves answer covers your question. I just want to add my personal experience with the K-70.

With the standard focusing screen manual focusing is quite easy and I would say also fairly accurate. If I am not quite sure, I use the central spot of the AF system with focus confirmation.
I had a focusing screen with split screen and microprism installed in my K-10D and now in my istD*. But up until now I have no need to buy one for the K-70.

The focus confirmation is by beep and lighting the focus point used in the viewfinder. But the only reliable information if you are still in focus is the green rectangel in the viewfinder. The K-70 will beep and flash the focus point if you are in focus, but if you are out of focus again by your on movement for example, you will only see when the rectangel goes of.

06-17-2020, 12:20 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the information

Thanks for all your input, I appreciate it. Looking forward to getting k70 in my hands. When I do I will be posting some pix.

All the best everyone!