But, is that their release schedule?

02-06-2021, 07:50 AM - 2 Likes   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Considering only mid- to high-level cameras:
  • 2013: K-3 and Ricoh GR
  • 2014: 645Z
  • 2015: K-3 II and Ricoh GR II (= GR + Wi-Fi and NFC + some software improvements)
  • 2016: K-1
  • 2017: KP
  • 2018: K-1 Mark II
  • 2019: Ricoh GR III
  • 2020: Covid-19, delaying the announcement of K-3 Mark III
02-06-2021, 08:05 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It seems like one model each year:
Product timeline: Digital Photography Review : Digital Photography Review
Template:Pentax digital interchangeable lens cameras - Wikipedia
02-06-2021, 08:29 AM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
One Ricoh model each year now.
Fewer Pentax models.
If only three Pentax models are maintained {K-70, K-3, K-1}, that could easily mean a model will last four or five years.

One of my employers was a US defense contractor. One of our projects was a command vehicle for the UK where the command scope showed maps from various sources {for example, one used latitude and longitude while another used polar coordinates from current location} - my job was to get everything to match. Using that philosophy, perhaps they can go a little faster. For example, a 24mp "FF" camera might be made by combining K-1 skin with innards beyond sensor of KP ..... if they want one.

Last edited by reh321; 02-06-2021 at 09:06 AM.
02-06-2021, 09:05 AM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Considering only mid- to high-level cameras:
  • 2013: K-3 and Ricoh GR
  • 2014: 645Z
  • 2015: K-3 II and Ricoh GR II (= GR + Wi-Fi and NFC + some software improvements)
  • 2016: K-1
  • 2017: KP
  • 2018: K-1 Mark II
  • 2019: Ricoh GR III
  • 2020: Covid-19, delaying the announcement of K-3 Mark III
K-3ii and K-1ii were mid-cycle refreshes. The GRIII is a Ricoh-branded pocket camera. I understand Ricoh/Pentax shares resources and personnel, but for newly designed ILCs they have released two cameras in five years, the K-3iii will be three.
02-06-2021, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
One Ricoh model each year now.
Fewer Pentax models.
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
for newly designed ILCs they have released two cameras in five years, the K-3iii will be three.
The correct answer is, we don't know. We cannot assume that the gap required by migrating to a new hardware platform will occur for every single camera from now on, for example.

I'm not sure if they'll decide to have 5 (or more) current Pentax cameras at once. If they'd do that, they would have a suitable (though likely slow, from our point of view) release cycle.
They know what they're capable of; we're merely guessing.
02-06-2021, 09:58 AM   #67
Pentaxian

The correct answer is, we don't know. We cannot assume that the gap required by migrating to a new hardware platform will occur for every single camera from now on, for example.

I'm not sure if they'll decide to have 5 (or more) current Pentax cameras at once. If they'd do that, they would have a suitable (though likely slow, from our point of view) release cycle.
They know what they're capable of; we're merely guessing.
That is true.
I was merely suggesting interpretations.
We do know from the CP+ 2019 interviews that they apparently have one 'finishing' team shared between various Ricoh brands.

02-06-2021, 10:12 AM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
I am surprised by KP replacement. It fils well under Knew with attractive pricing. That being said a KP available in the 600-700 USD does not leave much room for a K70 replacement around 500 USD...
I just received a KP to “replace” one of my K-70s. Tried it for a day and sent it back. Just didn’t like the feel or ergonomics. I’ll keep my K-70s until they break and then see what’s new.
02-06-2021, 10:58 AM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiddo70 Quote
I just received a KP to “replace” one of my K-70s. Tried it for a day and sent it back. Just didn’t like the feel or ergonomics. I’ll keep my K-70s until they break and then see what’s new.
I love the ergonomics of the KP.
I dislike the articulated LCD screen of the K-70 which doesn't line up behind the lens and allows subjects to see that I am using it - the KP is much more discrete.
02-10-2021, 05:32 AM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Actually, there is an announcement today that they are closing orders for the custom order KP J-Limited version as well, which is logical.
PENTAX KP J limited / ??????????? / ?? | RICOH IMAGING

Regarding J-Limited, that is something that is likely to feature in their CP+ presentations. They've already showed K-1 II and GR III custom models that could be launched officially, if only in Japan.
That was quick: five days ago they announced they would discontinue the KP J Limited around mid-February, today they announce that orders are closed.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ricoh Imaging Japan:
PENTAX KP J limitedは受注終了いたしました。
Source: PENTAX KP J limited / デジタル一眼レフカメラ / 製品 | RICOH IMAGING
05-02-2021, 09:17 PM   #71
Pentaxian

I am thinking now that the much-discussed mythical "K-new"
New K-New? Who Knew? - PentaxForums.com
may be the K-70 followup. There is little in the rumor other than it would be good at video.
Put the sensor, processor and some of the firmware from the K-3iii into a K-70, and you would have a camera which is good at 4K video.
As I've already commented, I am not thrilled by articulated LCDs, but video makers seem to love them.
I don't know when this would happen - possibly in another year or two.
The price could be $1K or more - but Pentax could continue the K-70 as the "introduction to the brand camera" with this K-90 as an "introduction to the premium brand" camera.
05-02-2021, 09:40 PM   #72
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I sure do hope that there will be a k-70 successor. Pentax needs to have a good entry level camera. I just hope they'll resolve the aperture block problem. That's the only fault I can find in that camera.

I'm wishing they'll continue the KP line. I love the retro look not to mention its performance.

I think that despite the negative reviews of anti Pentax people, the k-3III will bring in the sales.
05-02-2021, 10:59 PM   #73
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The price could be $1K or more - but Pentax could continue the K-70 as the "introduction to the brand camera" with this K-90 as an "introduction to the premium brand" camera.
K90 as 'KP replacement' then?
'cos I really don't think they will add one more camera to the lineup.
They even killed KP so they could launch K3III.
05-02-2021, 11:03 PM   #74
Pentaxian

I am thinking now that the much-discussed mythical "K-new"
New K-New? Who Knew? - PentaxForums.com
may be the K-70 followup. There is little in the rumor other than it would be good at video.
Put the sensor, processor and some of the firmware from the K-3iii into a K-70, and you would have a camera which is good at 4K video.
As I've already commented, I am not thrilled by articulated LCDs, but video makers seem to love them.
I don't know when this would happen - possibly in another year or two.
I had forgotten about that rumour. That it would be video-orientated is to be expected. Whether it would be K-70 or KP, I don't know - it may depend on what gives the highest return. I don't know what the margins on either would be, or the expected sales. Ricoh did once say that the sales of the KP had disappointed them.
05-03-2021, 12:08 AM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter_JDH Quote
I see a number of retailers in Canada are listing both the K-70 and KP as discontinued - unavailable for order........
...... I also see the DA 18-135 lens listed as discontinued in places.
Neither the K-70 nor the DA18-135 are discontinued:
Products | RICOH IMAGING
Products | RICOH IMAGING

The KP can still be ordered, but ranges under "discontinued models":

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Considering only mid- to high-level cameras.......
IMO the K-70 is missing. Introduced in 2016 it is now the 5th year in production!
I don't see it at all as entry-level, it has much more to offer but of course that is relative!

Entry-level to me were: *ist-DL, K100/110D, K-m, K-x.

Between entry and mid: K200D, K-r, K-S1 (K-S1 as an effort to produce a small fully equipped KAF body, quite an achievement after the almost similar sized and quite inferior K-01)

The aperture-block-problem is almost solved, I am pretty sure they can solve that fully.
Pentax DSLR with solenoid built since Dec. 2015 range within the 2% failure-rate (not all due to a stuck solenoid though!)
That is quite an achievement because failure-rate of pre-2015 models with solenoid was high.
Every Pentax DSLR with solenoid pre-12/2015 owned by family, friends and collegues developed ABF!
Every without any exception (That includes K30/50/K-S1/K-S2).
And every of them was repaired by myself with the Japan-Solenoid and works perfectly since.

The culprit is only that tiny solenoid which was modified, works now much better and could even be bettered.

The demand, to use the stepper-motor of the high-level models in the mid-level bodies instead of the solenoid is based on (understandable) wishful thinking but (understandable) lack of knowledge. I have added information HERE which explains the why.