Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2020, 12:33 AM - 1 Like   #16
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
No it does not have the symptoms of the aperture block failure.. I think it just reached the end of it's expected life expectancy.The whole thing (mirror, shutter, aperture) are all stuck.And it makes a pretty retch of a sound:
Sounds awful. Good luck with the K-70.

09-10-2020, 06:16 AM - 2 Likes   #17

Good choice, K-70 is a very likeable lightweight DSLR camera.
I use mine more frequently than the excellent but heavy K-1 or the fixed rear screen K-3ii.
09-10-2020, 04:33 PM - 3 Likes   #18
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The features the K-70 has over the K-S2 are very exciting!

PixelShift II
4 more MP
14-bit RAW
Noise reduction accelerator unit
Extra stop of shake reduction
'hybrid' AF in live view and video
better buttons and grip

It's actually quite a step forward from the K-S2
09-10-2020, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-S2 cracked--didn't Replace it: Use the KP

My K-S2 cracked while in my carry-on and was never the same. Since I have several other Pentax bodies, I used the Pentax KP in its place. The KP is mostly magnesium, has a faster shutter and AF, and is just as compact or smaller. I weighs more, but I like the adjustable grips and certainly the K-70 is an excellent piece, I simply think for the small additional cost, the KP is a winner.
Believe it or not, I still use the K-5ii often. it's the 16mp sweet spot of Pentax and still venerable after all these years.

Pentax itself is just generally well-built regardless of the model you buy. The K-70 is a great value and I wish you many years of enjoyment.

09-11-2020, 04:51 AM   #20
Forum Member

'hybrid' AF in live view
I believe K-70 doesn't have Hybrid AF in LV mode.

"Unfortunately, Ricoh has confirmed that the K-70 only employs hybrid autofocus during video recording, not during live view stills shooting."
Pentax K-70 Review - Focusing | PentaxForums.com Reviews
09-11-2020, 06:43 AM   #21
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by syyrmb Quote
idk about that - still says it does have hybrid AF in Live View on Ricoh's own website:
Specifications | PENTAX K-70 | RICOH IMAGING
09-11-2020, 07:02 AM   #22
Forum Member

idk about that - still says it does have hybrid AF in Live View on Ricoh's own website:
Specifications | PENTAX K-70 | RICOH IMAGING
my personal experience with K-70 makes me believe what PF's review have said. While in live view autofocusing, the camera always goes past where it should lock focus at, and return back to there & lock the focus. Really looks like CDAF to me. The website thing may be Ricoh's mistake - Ricoh China to this day labels K-70 as a camera capable shooting at 8.3 fps, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is another they messed up.

09-11-2020, 07:17 AM   #23
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I wouldn't be surprised if this is another they messed up.
I could understand a typo, but they wrote a whole paragraph on it...

Responsive, high precision AF system to capture a sharp, chrisp, image of the subject in a wide range of photographic scenes:
By incorporating a hybrid AF system - which harmonizes the advantages of a contrast-detect AF sensor and an image-plane phase-matching AF sensor - the PENTAX K-70 assures responsive, high-accuracy autofocus operation during Live View shooting using the LCD monitor. The optical viewfinder provides a large, clear image field with an approx 100% field of view, allowing you to keep the subject in sight at all times.

K-70 | RICOH IMAGING

and it's also listed as a 'Main Feature' in the FAQ section..
*Hybrid AF system
 Combination of the phase-matching AF and contrast detection AF works as high-speed AF operation during Live View shooting.

and again in the 'Specifications for the Auto Focus system' in the FAQ section..
The specification of AF System shooting with Live View
Type Hybrid AF *1 = TTL Phase–matching AF + Contrast-detecting AF
*1 To assimilate a contrast-detection AF sensor with superior focusing accuracy and a phase-matching AF sensor positioned on the image sensor’s surface, this innovative hybrid system optimizes the benefits of both AF systems to assure high-speed, pinpoint AF focusing on the subject.

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/qa/k-70/index.html

Last edited by FozzFoster; 09-11-2020 at 07:23 AM.
09-11-2020, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #24
Forum Member

Responsive, high precision AF system to capture a sharp, chrisp, image of the subject in a wide range of photographic scenes:
By incorporating a hybrid AF system - which harmonizes the advantages of a contrast-detect AF sensor and an image-plane phase-matching AF sensor - the PENTAX K-70 assures responsive, high-accuracy autofocus operation during Live View shooting using the LCD monitor. The optical viewfinder provides a large, clear image field with an approx 100% field of view, allowing you to keep the subject in sight at all times.

K-70 | RICOH IMAGING

*Hybrid AF system
 Combination of the phase-matching AF and contrast detection AF works as high-speed AF operation during Live View shooting.

and again in the 'Specifications for the Auto Focus system' in the FAQ section..
*1 To assimilate a contrast-detection AF sensor with superior focusing accuracy and a phase-matching AF sensor positioned on the image sensor’s surface, this innovative hybrid system optimizes the benefits of both AF systems to assure high-speed, pinpoint AF focusing on the subject.

PENTAX K-70 | FAQ | Support | RICOH IMAGING
But in the PF 2016 Photokina interview article, Ricoh representative confirmed that CDAF is used in live view:

"11. How does the hybrid live view autofocus system in the K-70 work?

It is used solely for continuous video autofocus. In live view, standard contrast detection autofocus is used, as on the Pentax K-S2."
Photokina 2016 Pentax Interview - Photokina 2016 | PentaxForums.com

Maybe Ricoh Imaging lacks some internal communications...
09-11-2020, 12:43 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

"Unfortunately, Ricoh has confirmed that the K-70 only employs hybrid autofocus during video recording, not during live view stills shooting."
Pentax K-70 Review - Focusing | PentaxForums.com Reviews
That may be true, but the subject is sort of strange for a first post on this site.

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Steve
09-11-2020, 12:46 PM - 3 Likes   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The features the K-70 has over the K-S2 are very exciting!
Yes, the K-70 is the all-time value queen of Pentax dSLRs. Too bad there are some who feel they need to tell you otherwise.

Steve
09-23-2020, 11:36 AM - 4 Likes   #27
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
K-70 just arrived! Slapped my 18-135 on an we goin' for a walk!
First impressions are only from holding the body.. but it's remarkable how different the body appears from my K-S2.
I really thought that they reused the K-S2 body and made some tweaks, but in honesty it feels like a whole different build quality.
Very excited to see some pictures!
PixelShift!
Accelerator unit!
Woo!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo 
09-23-2020, 12:09 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

K-70 | RICOH IMAGING

*Hybrid AF system

PENTAX K-70 | FAQ | Support | RICOH IMAGING
But in the PF 2016 Photokina interview article, Ricoh representative confirmed that CDAF is used in live view:

"11. How does the hybrid live view autofocus system in the K-70 work?

It is used solely for continuous video autofocus. In live view, standard contrast detection autofocus is used, as on the Pentax K-S2."
Photokina 2016 Pentax Interview - Photokina 2016 | PentaxForums.com

Maybe Ricoh Imaging lacks some internal communications...
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That may be true, but the subject is sort of strange for a first post on this site.

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Steve
First impressions are only from holding the body.. but it's remarkable how different the body appears from my K-S2.
I really thought that they reused the K-S2 body and made some tweaks, but in honesty it feels like a whole different build quality.
Very excited to see some pictures!
PixelShift!
Accelerator unit!
Woo!
Congratulations! and just a little re-inforcement to the non-believers, http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/pdf/k-70.pdf#page=5
Attached Images

09-23-2020, 12:35 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Happy dance!!!

Steve
09-23-2020, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Congratulations! and just a little re-inforcement to the non-believers, http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/pdf/k-70.pdf#page=5
The specification in the user manual is also a clue, though the feature is not called out in any way. However...The in-depth PF review has a strong disclaimer backed by communication from Ricoh...

QuoteQuote:
Unfortunately, Ricoh has confirmed that the K-70 only employs hybrid autofocus during video recording, not during live view stills shooting. We first noticed in field tests that it didn’t seem to be faster or hunt less than the K-S2, so we asked Ricoh representatives about it in an interview. They confirmed that the K-70 only uses its hybrid capabilities for continuous autofocus during video capture.
Whether this was rectified in a firmware update, I don't know.

Addendum: Imaging Resource gave the hybrid system in Live View a strong thumbs up. The truth is out there...somewhere...

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-23-2020 at 01:31 PM.