Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 78 Likes Search this Thread
09-23-2020, 02:45 PM - 4 Likes   #31
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
seems like an awesome camera!
interesting to see how much menu and button customization there is with the K-70!
Here's a RAW shot JPEG converted with Lightroom with zero editing:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
09-23-2020, 05:03 PM - 3 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
seems like an awesome camera!
interesting to see how much menu and button customization there is with the K-70!
Here's a RAW shot JPEG converted with Lightroom with zero editing:
Try shooting raw & jpg setting.I also recomend the E-Book by Yvonn Bourgue https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/194-pentax-ebooks/323769-pentax-ebook-do...tml?src=banner

Last edited by SharkyCA; 09-23-2020 at 05:11 PM. Reason: adding text
10-14-2020, 12:02 PM   #33
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Congratulations! and just a little re-inforcement to the non-believers, http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/pdf/k-70.pdf#page=5
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The specification in the user manual is also a clue
QuoteOriginally posted by syyrmb Quote
I believe K-70 doesn't have Hybrid AF in LV mode.
Finally got around to testing this out...
Using my K-70 (Firmware 1.11) and my 55-300 PLM...

Put the camera in Video mode, start taking a video, and try focusing at different distances - it works! (doesn't change focus until video started recording, however)
Put the camera in Live View mode, try focusing at different distances - no bueno... doesn't change focus.

I guess I was under the assumption that the hybrid AF would allow something like AF-C in Live View.

If the hybrid AF does something in Live View, I cannot detect the benefit.
Maybe this feature will be opened up in a future firmware version...
10-14-2020, 06:18 PM   #34
Forum Member

Finally got around to testing this out...
Using my K-70 (Firmware 1.11) and my 55-300 PLM...

Put the camera in Video mode, start taking a video, and try focusing at different distances - it works! (doesn't change focus until video started recording, however)
Put the camera in Live View mode, try focusing at different distances - no bueno... doesn't change focus.

I guess I was under the assumption that the hybrid AF would allow something like AF-C in Live View.

If the hybrid AF does something in Live View, I cannot detect the benefit.
Maybe this feature will be opened up in a future firmware version...
you could use "AF-C" in Live View, just change the focus mode from "face detection" to "tracking". However, that doesn't prove that K-70 use hybrid AF in LV, since PENTAX claimed that hybrid AF only works with certain SDM, DC and PLM lenses, but the LV "AF-C tracking" works with screwdrive lenses.

10-14-2020, 06:42 PM   #35
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by syyrmb Quote
just change the focus mode from "face detection" to "tracking"
Thank you for this tip!
Yes - now with the focus mode changed to 'tracking' my PLM lens on my K-70 does focus at various distances in Live View.
I'm going to have to play around with this more!
10-14-2020, 11:17 PM - 1 Like   #36
Forum Member

Thank you for this tip!
Yes - now with the focus mode changed to 'tracking' my PLM lens on my K-70 does focus at various distances in Live View.
I'm going to have to play around with this more!
Glad you found that tip useful, but I would say it's not nearly as good as the AF-C with viewfinder, which is a shame because if this subject-tracking works well, then there's no need for eye-tracking anymore, but oh well.
12-21-2020, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

You'll be happy with it.

01-02-2021, 12:37 AM - 1 Like   #38

Hey!

After my K-S2 died on me (shutter count 50,528), I was left in a bit of pickle:

I will be getting the K-New once a pre-order is available, but it's not available.
I have a K-5, but it does not support the KAF4 mount (gotta love the PLM).
My plan was to retire (sell) the K-5 and keep the K-S2 as a backup to the K-New.
Also, I was quite fond of the flippy screen on the K-S2 and believe I'd miss it.

Therefore, I have purchased a new K-70 (mail ordered body only) to act as a backup for when the K-New comes along.
For those who say I should have got a KP: the KP is currently $1050 CAD on sale, the K-70 was only $687 CAD on sale - I saved a third the price, and I got a better grip and fully articulating screen... not bad.

Very exciting!
Where did you find that deal in Canada? Was that for the body only? I am curious as I am in the market for a K70 myself
01-02-2021, 06:55 AM - 2 Likes   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blackbeard25 Quote
Where did you find that deal in Canada? Was that for the body only? I am curious as I am in the market for a K70 myself
Hey Blackbeard, welcome to the forums from a fellow Canadian!

This link is great for checking camera prices in Canada!

photoprice.ca: Duty on Camera Equipment
01-03-2021, 09:15 AM   #40
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
At McBain in Edmonton, but I got them to price match from TheCameraStore in Calgary (Price is still at $687.42 CAD): TheCameraStore - Pentax K-70 Body
01-03-2021, 10:04 PM - 1 Like   #41

At McBain in Edmonton, but I got them to price match from TheCameraStore in Calgary (Price is still at $687.42 CAD): TheCameraStore - Pentax K-70 Body
Good to know. I'm a 4 ish hour drive from Edmonton, however I have a local dealer that I'm going to see if they will price match. That's a better price than b&h which is at $700cad with or without a free bundle, the bundle includes nice to haves, however I don't need them
01-05-2021, 04:52 AM - 2 Likes   #42

So my local store, just because they have such a low throughput of sales recently, they were unable to do a price match, however I was able to get one for $760 including tax which is about $30 cheaper than ordering it through The camera store. They were out of stock, however I should be able to take delivery of it in the next week or two
01-05-2021, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #43
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I should be able to take delivery of it in the next week or two
Congratz! I am extremely happy with my K-70! I know you will too!
01-05-2021, 07:46 PM - 2 Likes   #44

Congratz! I am extremely happy with my K-70! I know you will too!
Biggest thing with this camera is it may wreck my wrecked sleeping schedule as I'm going to try and do a bunch of astrophotography with it hopefully
01-09-2021, 02:15 PM - 2 Likes   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-70 just arrived! Slapped my 18-135 on an we goin' for a walk!
First impressions are only from holding the body.. but it's remarkable how different the body appears from my K-S2.
I really thought that they reused the K-S2 body and made some tweaks, but in honesty it feels like a whole different build quality.
Very excited to see some pictures!
PixelShift!
Accelerator unit!
Woo!
Congratulations on your new K-70!! My son recently got a K-70 coming from my old K-S2, and he loves it. Personally, I think the K-70 is more robust than the K-S2, and it definitely has many more features and advancements. It feels very solidly built, and has excellent IQ, of course. I replaced my aperture block failed K-S2 with a KP, and I still like to use my son’s K-70 as it reminds me of my K- S2, albeit even better!! Have fun with your new machine, and hopefully you will wear this one out, too!!