Show Printable Version 78 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2020, 08:48 AM - 14 Likes   #1
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
New K-70 On The Way!

Hey!

After my K-S2 died on me (shutter count 50,528), I was left in a bit of pickle:

I will be getting the K-New once a pre-order is available, but it's not available.
I have a K-5, but it does not support the KAF4 mount (gotta love the PLM).
My plan was to retire (sell) the K-5 and keep the K-S2 as a backup to the K-New.
Also, I was quite fond of the flippy screen on the K-S2 and believe I'd miss it.

Therefore, I have purchased a new K-70 (mail ordered body only) to act as a backup for when the K-New comes along.
For those who say I should have got a KP: the KP is currently $1050 CAD on sale, the K-70 was only $687 CAD on sale - I saved a third the price, and I got a better grip and fully articulating screen... not bad.

Very exciting!

09-09-2020, 08:55 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

I also couldn't see any advantage of the KP over the K70 - so I did the same.
The K70 is a great camera, enjoy!
09-09-2020, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
KP over the K70
the KP has more AF points..
people say it's built better...

Wasn't enough for me to justify a third more cost
09-09-2020, 09:35 AM - 2 Likes   #4

Mine is in transit. Cheers and happy shooting!

09-09-2020, 09:45 AM   #5
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gary Kopp Quote
Mine is in transit. Cheers and happy shooting!
Aye! Mine too!

I could have had my choice of a silver body only, or a body with a kit lens.
But I never really fancied the silver bodies and not only do I not need a kit lens, but it wasn't on sale like the body only was..

I'm told one week, two weeks at worst case (Covid disclaimer, I'm thinkin) before it arrives at my door.
09-09-2020, 09:48 AM - 4 Likes   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Steve
09-09-2020, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats on the incoming K-70 - I like mine a bunch. It is a pleasantly solid camera, more so than other mid-range models I've handled.

The only feature from the KP I wish it had is the quieter shutter.

09-09-2020, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
the KP has more AF points..
people say it's built better...

Wasn't enough for me to justify a third more cost
It is better built - if nothing else, it has the same aperture control as the 'flagship' "APS-C" cameras while the K-70 has the same aperture control as the K-S2,
but it is your money, and you get to purchase what you want. Enjoy it.
09-09-2020, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #9
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
while the K-70 has the same aperture control as the K-S2
Well, since my K-S2's had an impressively solid build, and aperture control operated as expected, for it's entire life - I'm in for a perfectly fine camera!

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Enjoy it.
Thanks reh321!
09-09-2020, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations. When I bought the KP it was a hard choice but the KP was a little better for me, they are both great cameras. But in your case you will never know the difference, and it will be a great backup to the K-new

Did you ever get a diagnosis on the cause of death to the K-S2?
09-09-2020, 12:34 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a KP its gorgeous, but by all accounts the results from the K70 are just as good and the extra cash equals a used limited lens I think the KP, because of its quirks and the way it divides opinion, will be a PF cult classic. The K70 just seems to please everyone. One word of caution, some people claim their aperture block failed through lack of use, so, when you get the K-new, you have to take the K70 out on a regular basis, just to keep her ticking over
09-09-2020, 01:19 PM - 4 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In early 2019 I ran into a guy out in the desert while out shooting the Milky Way. He had just purchased his K70 (upgraded from a smartphone) - had about 20 frames on the shutter, and was out trying to shoot Milky Way landscapes. We have been going out shooting together for about 20+ months now. He makes his k70 absolutely sing - plus he has a real eye for compositions. His K70 images are very close (and sometimes better) than my K1.

The fully articulating screen is an absolutely joy to use on a tripod. There is really nothing to not like about that body.

09-09-2020, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Hey!

After my K-S2 died on me (shutter count 50,528), I was left in a bit of pickle:

I will be getting the K-New once a pre-order is available, but it's not available.
I have a K-5, but it does not support the KAF4 mount (gotta love the PLM).
My plan was to retire (sell) the K-5 and keep the K-S2 as a backup to the K-New.
Also, I was quite fond of the flippy screen on the K-S2 and believe I'd miss it.

Therefore, I have purchased a new K-70 (mail ordered body only) to act as a backup for when the K-New comes along.
For those who say I should have got a KP: the KP is currently $1050 CAD on sale, the K-70 was only $687 CAD on sale - I saved a third the price, and I got a better grip and fully articulating screen... not bad.

Very exciting!
Happy for you! The K70 is a great camera.
09-09-2020, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #14
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After my K-S2 died on me (shutter count 50,528), I was left in a bit of pickle:I will be getting the K-New once a pre-order is available, but it's not available.I have a K-5, but it does not support the KAF4 mount (gotta love the PLM).My plan was to retire (sell) the K-5 and keep the K-S2 as a backup to the K-New.Also, I was quite fond of the flippy screen on the K-S2 and believe I'd miss it.Therefore, I have purchased a new K-70 (mail ordered body only) to act as a backup for when the K-New comes along.For those who say I should have got a KP: the KP is currently $1050 CAD on sale, the K-70 was only $687 CAD on sale - I saved a third the price, and I got a better grip and fully articulating screen... not bad.
Sensible choice, if I may say so. When I got my KP there was only a difference of $A100 (from memory) from the K-70. It would have been a very different equation if the prices were those you faced.

I assume the K-S2 problem was aperture block failure? My K-S2 is on loan to a family member. I am very fond of it. I think if mine were to develop aperture block failure when (if?) I get it back I would be inclined either to get it repaired, sell it at a discount to someone who was willing to do the repair or just leave a 55-300 PLM mounted on it. I guess you have thought of these options, but just mention them as a possible way to recoup some of the cost of the K-70, or at least have some residual use for the K-S2.
09-09-2020, 05:18 PM   #15
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I assume the K-S2 problem was aperture block failure?
No it does not have the symptoms of the aperture block failure.. I think it just reached the end of it's expected life expectancy.
The whole thing (mirror, shutter, aperture) are all stuck.
And it makes a pretty retch of a sound:

I think my K-S2 just died. - PentaxForums.com