Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2021, 11:18 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by mlines Quote
You don't need to realign as the stacking software does it for you, although a sneaky tweak on the tripod halfway through helps. Just to be clear, this is a process and not a simple photograph.

Take a look at this video ANDROMEDA GALAXY with only a Camera, Lens, & Tripod - YouTube - the video is VERY LONG but details every step needed and you can just follow the steps like I did.

This is what the stacked, but unprocessed picture looks like, you can JUST see the galaxy in the middle of the picture if you look hard
Oh! thanks for showing this type of information. It is very encouraging to see the contrast!

---------- Post added 12-09-21 at 12:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by prestoeatstacos Quote
Hello,

Newbie here, my first post... I wanted to drop by and say I purchased Pentax k70 camera and I have not been more happy with the results this camera provides! I mainly wanted to use to take photo of night sky as well wanted a camera for the day life shots, so Pentax k70 was my choice. I have DA 55-300mm lens, also 18mm-55mm.

Reading about astrotracer was one point that excited me as it would allow for quickly entering this hobby of astrophotography. I purchase the O-GPS unit for astrotracer. It works very well for photos for stacking without a equatorial mount. I have found the following to be a guide.

15mm to 40mm - 70 seconds+/- 10 seconds , and also to taste, do not star trails.
50mm to 150mm about 60 seconds +/- 10 seconds again, the longer the focal length the less exposure time without star trailing.
150mm to 250mm 30 seconds
250mm+ 10 seconds

The use of the camera was quick. 16x live view to sharpen stars, it sees quite a few stars to focus on with the view panel. The settings from 800iso to 6400iso are very good with low noise. Input-referred Read Noise versus ISO Setting

I just wanted to share a photo of Andromeda M31 and Orion nebula. I am still learning and I wanted to share the joy Pentax has brought to my life.

Based upon my short experience so far. I would recommend Pentax K70 camera. Thank you all for your forums and support.
Thanks for the beautiful photos!

That's just what I needed, some astrophotos taken only with the K-70 and 18-135 and 55-300 lens

I just bought my 55-300 lens (and own the 18-135) but I am still debating between buying the O-GPS or waiting for the new version coming next year.

Cheers!

12-09-2021, 12:58 PM   #17

I can't find the old one for sale anywhere. I think we have to wait another year for version 2 or maybe get lucky with a second hand one.