Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2020, 11:28 AM   #1
Forum Member

Highlights Blowing Out?

New K-70. 18 - 55mm kit lens. Can't figure out what settings to use to correct the whites from going so bright?

10-23-2020, 11:38 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are blowing the highlights try using the exposure compensation setting and set it to -1 to -2. I don't think you can do it in auto mode or the various scene modes but in others it works. On the K-3 there is a button on top that you can press to adjust the expose compensation and to adjust it you use one of the wheels and when done you press the button again. I would imagine the K-70 is similar.
10-23-2020, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by voicelit Quote
New K-70. 18 - 55mm kit lens. Can't figure out what settings to use to correct the whites from going so bright?
Presumably you've not accidently dialled in some exposure compensation?

There is an option for the camera to "remember" or "forget" settings like this when switched off … worth checking. Also pressing the "Green Button" whilst holding down the Exposure Compensation button will reset it to default.

There are "Highlight Correction" (and Shadow Correction) options available, see p79 in the manual. I've got it set as an option in my Control Panel, but I don't remember if it's there by default.

Good luck
10-23-2020, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #4
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Can't figure out what settings to use to correct the whites from going so bright
Could you attach a jpeg example image so we can look at the exif data and maybe understand the issue better?

10-23-2020, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Whites will blow out if they are a negligible element in the scene.

The camera's matrix metering looks at all elements and make an exposure reading for the majority.... This assumes you are using Matrix or CW and not spot metering.

Best you post a picture so we can judge better.

Adding to this, if the DR for your scene is more than the sensor can cope with you always have either blown whites or black darks. It is physics

Last edited by pschlute; 10-23-2020 at 12:29 PM.
10-23-2020, 12:28 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Could you provide an example image, preferably a straight from camera JPEG?

The most common causes of poor exposure are:
  • Inadvertent or inappropriate exposure compensation (EC) setting
  • Use of the spot meter option for general photography
  • Setting exposure to match the AF point (menu C1 --> 5)
  • Ignoring a blinking display and shooting outside the meter's range or range of available camera settings
  • Use of scene modes inappropriate to the subject; for example, night scene portrait in sunlit situations
Note that blown highlights may be unavoidable for some subjects without sacrificing shadow values; for example, sunlit white-washed walls adjacent to shaded alleyways. The multi-segment metering option usually does a good job at placing exposure, but for that sort of subject, it may opt to blow the highlights. Often times, those may be redeemed in post processing.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-23-2020 at 12:41 PM.
10-23-2020, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #7
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With experience one recognizes when the exposure system will likely overexpose and we input an exposure compensation.**

But the more direct way is spot meter the brightest area and the set the exposure so it is OK--e.g., measure the brightest area and use an exposure level about 3 stops more exposure (you can fine tune this from results). But sometimes (e.g., reflected sunlight of water, etc.) we must ignore some areas--basically measure the brightest area we want to see some detail.

Oh--stevebrot discussed this also.

Also, use of raw in pp, can allow up to/about 1 stop overexposure to be fixed, often w/ good color accuracy.
_____
** BTW this is an area where the system that is supposed to fix it (Matrix metering) can be a problem as it has an incomplete/unclear set of rules, and it is hard to 2nd guess when and by how much. For this reason some of us don't use matrix metering, or don't use it when it was designed to be used.

Last edited by dms; 10-23-2020 at 01:47 PM.
10-23-2020, 03:01 PM   #8
Pentaxian

All sorts of things can lead to overexposure. If you could post one of your problematic images, it might be easier to make a diagnosis.
10-23-2020, 11:24 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, I'll find a problem image soon and post. What is "matrix " Metering? Not sure how the dynamic range settings work? I shoot in manual, settings: I use "natural," I tamp down the contrast, but the highlight correction confuse me: does dialing up mean "brighter," or "correct more?" I think I suffer a bit from being an old guy, 68 . . . I had a K-5 for years, went away to an inane Sony for awhile and now am back with a K-70. Don't remember the K-5 having this problem.
10-24-2020, 03:15 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks everyone, I'll find a problem image soon and post. What is "matrix " Metering? Not sure how the dynamic range settings work? I shoot in manual, settings: I use "natural," I tamp down the contrast, but the highlight correction confuse me: does dialing up mean "brighter," or "correct more?" I think I suffer a bit from being an old guy, 68 . . . I had a K-5 for years, went away to an inane Sony for awhile and now am back with a K-70. Don't remember the K-5 having this problem.
I have never used this correction option. Just ev-1 and not spot metering for shadow (in that case ev-2 or beyond). The dedicated button lets you decide that for every single shot, quick and easy.
Usually center weighted metering for a neutral tone does the job. But you can always shoot raw and fix the blown out highlights in pp. , there’s enough exposure latitude.
10-24-2020, 06:57 PM   #11

Matrix metering is called Multi-segmented Metering in the Pentax manual.
I find lowering the exposure and adjusting in post to be the best approach for me. The dynamic range settings kind of do the same thing. I prefer to control this myself than to let the camera do it for me.
10-25-2020, 12:43 AM   #12
Pentaxian

If you load the problematic image(s) into the supplied Digital Camera Utility software there's option to make a degree of adjustment using the same name for functions as used on the camera, so if you want (or need) to see what "Highlight Correction" (or whatever) actually does (drag out detail in the highlights without affecting the rest of the image), you can 'play' on a big screen then transfer the settings to the camera for future benefit

Certainly, if you work in RAW (or RAW + JPG), there's more opportunity to make correction than if in JPG alone, but the program can be surprisingly capable, if a little cryptic … and it's free

Don't let your age be an excuse for not learning stuff … it may take a little longer, but it's possible … bin there, done that

Good luck!
10-25-2020, 12:07 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
If you load the problematic image(s) into the supplied Digital Camera Utility software there's option to make a degree of adjustment using the same name for functions as used on the camera, so if you want (or need) to see what "Highlight Correction" (or whatever) actually does (drag out detail in the highlights without affecting the rest of the image), you can 'play' on a big screen then transfer the settings to the camera for future benefit

Certainly, if you work in RAW (or RAW + JPG), there's more opportunity to make correction than if in JPG alone, but the program can be surprisingly capable, if a little cryptic … and it's free

Don't let your age be an excuse for not learning stuff … it may take a little longer, but it's possible … bin there, done that

Good luck!
"supplied Digital Camera Utility software?" Where?
10-25-2020, 04:41 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think if you posted the pictures with EXIF we'd get a better idea, Voicelit.
10-25-2020, 05:11 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

"supplied Digital Camera Utility software?" Where?
A CD (DVD?) was in the box when your K-70 was purchased. It has the Digital Camera Utility software that provides basic image editing, RAW processing, and a few other tricks. It is not my favorite tool, but does have the ability to reproduce many of the in-camera processing features. To be honest, I don't believe highlight compensation is on the list.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-25-2020 at 05:18 PM.