Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2020, 09:54 AM   #1

Geotagging on K-70?

New K-70 user. I do not have the Pentax GPS Unit O-GPS1. When I transfer a photo to my phone after I arrive home, it shows where I took that photo. I tried to find a setting in the K-70 menu but did not see one. Happy to have that information, but wasn't expecting it without built-in GPS. If anyone can explain, I'd appreciate clearing up my confusion. Thanks

10-29-2020, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #2
Dan

QuoteOriginally posted by Ho_agie Quote
New K-70 user. I do not have the Pentax GPS Unit O-GPS1. When I transfer a photo to my phone after I arrive home, it shows where I took that photo. I tried to find a setting in the K-70 menu but did not see one. Happy to have that information, but wasn't expecting it without built-in GPS. If anyone can explain, I'd appreciate clearing up my confusion. Thanks
That's a feature of your phone, not your camera. The way it works is as follows: When you take a photo the time at which you took the photo is embedded in the EXIF info. As you walk around taking photos your phone's GPS tracks your location and saves it as a track log, which shows where you were at each point in time. The geotagging software on your phone then matches the time you took the photo (as recorded by your camera) with your location at that time (as recorded by your phone). This allows the software to create a geotag for each photo. So you see, you don't need any sort of geotagging functionality built into your camera. All you need is a really smart phone!

Dan
10-29-2020, 10:58 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Quote
That's a feature of your phone, not your camera. The way it works is as follows: When you take a photo the time at which you took the photo is embedded in the EXIF info. As you walk around taking photos your phone's GPS tracks your location and saves it as a track log, which shows where you were at each point in time. The geotagging software on your phone then matches the time you took the photo (as recorded by your camera) with your location at that time (as recorded by your phone). This allows the software to create a geotag for each photo. So you see, you don't need any sort of geotagging functionality built into your camera. All you need is a really smart phone!

Dan
Dan,

Thanks for the information, although now I'm paranoid big brother is tracking me. LOL, just kidding.
10-29-2020, 05:18 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ho_agie Quote
Dan,

Thanks for the information, although now I'm paranoid big brother is tracking me. LOL, just kidding.
Just wait till the black helicopters show up and start following you (well, your phone).....

10-30-2020, 09:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ok, cool to know that.... but I’m curious about the accuracy of this tagging... does anyone have any idea?
10-30-2020, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mixalis_kalymnos1611 Quote
Ok, cool to know that.... but I’m curious about the accuracy of this tagging... does anyone have any idea?
It will be fairly accurate as long as your camera's time is closely synced to your phone's time. You can do the same thing on a computer. I used to record a GPS track on a hiking app, then take the log file and match it up to the photos. Took a photo on both the phone and camera at the start (like of the trailhead sign) so I had GPS and time stamp references. Can't remember the software I used, but you could set it to adjust for the time difference between the phone and camera, then it would pull coordinates from the log file and insert them in the exif data on each photo. Got to be too much work, just bought the O-GPS1, much easier and allows astrotracer to function on the K70.

Edited to add: The O-GPS1 unit has really come down in price. I got a good used one off Ebay for $53.

Last edited by DWS1; 10-30-2020 at 10:54 AM.
10-31-2020, 03:33 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Quote

Dan
Good response! Nice to know!
Cheers
11-02-2020, 11:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote

Edited to add: The O-GPS1 unit has really come down in price. I got a good used one off Ebay for $53.
Really? I will have to consider a search for one. I wanna expand my k-70 kit and in my country I really can’t find a used one.(yes, we are rare here) It still sells about 200-250€ new.

11-06-2020, 02:38 PM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
This is useful to know. Thank you. Since Covid I have been using the track function in my Android phone. Now it has another use.
11-10-2020, 04:18 AM   #10

Here in France Ricoh-Pentax internet site display "épuisé" ie discontinued and the price : 250 €