Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-10-2020, 07:00 PM - 2 Likes   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
This does sound more like a major malfunction of the mirror than an aperture solenoid problem. Probably require a profession repair job.
At this point, I'm thinking of just buying a new body. It looks like a repair through Precision is going to be $242 (at least, that is what the automated quote thing says on their web site) plus shippping both ways, so call it $300. A new body from B&H is $550, and I can probably sell my broken one on eBay for a couple hundred as a parts unit. So, for $50 more I'll have a brand new camera with a brand new warranty.

11-10-2020, 11:31 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mmcc73 Quote
At this point, I'm thinking of just buying a new body. It looks like a repair through Precision is going to be $242 (at least, that is what the automated quote thing says on their web site) plus shippping both ways, so call it $300. A new body from B&H is $550, and I can probably sell my broken one on eBay for a couple hundred as a parts unit. So, for $50 more I'll have a brand new camera with a brand new warranty.
Sounds like the best thing to do.
11-11-2020, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New K-70 bodies are a wonderful deal right now, and B&H gives away some nice freebies with it (Paintshop Pro is not half bad, I have PSP 2018 and the 2021 that comes with the K-70 must be even better...).
And according to our resident expert on Pentax innards, Mr. photogem, the newer K-70 bodies (and we hope these are newer ones...) have a "tweaked" green Chinese solenoid that behaves more like the original white solenoid from Japan - and should be more reliable therefore.

Good luck.

P.S. In my humble opinion, buying something used from Japan, especially a camera, is a bit risky if only for the fact that this will be in a package that will thrown around through half the planet... it would have to be a super-mega deal before I would consider it.
11-11-2020, 09:18 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
P.S. In my humble opinion, buying something used from Japan, especially a camera, is a bit risky if only for the fact that this will be in a package that will thrown around through half the planet... it would have to be a super-mega deal before I would consider it.
Obviously it didn't work out well, but I don't think that the fact it was shipped from Japan to the US made the difference. The package arrived surprisingly quickly (just a couple days) and in good condition. I could have been a knock in transit that caused the problem that I'm seeing now, but that could have easily happened on its way to me from the west coast.

11-11-2020, 10:45 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Obviously it didn't work out well, but I don't think that the fact it was shipped from Japan to the US made the difference. The package arrived surprisingly quickly (just a couple days) and in good condition. I could have been a knock in transit that caused the problem that I'm seeing now, but that could have easily happened on its way to me from the west coast.
If it only took a couple of days then it was shipped from the US.
The K-3 that I just bought (should be here today) was bought from a Japanese store but it said "Shipped from Amazon" otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. The same night it left a warehouse in NY (according to the tracking information).
Yours must have been similarly housed in the US.
11-11-2020, 11:46 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are very clear instructions in this forum for how to detect if it is just the solenoid or something else:
How to detect aperture-block failure/stuck solenoid on Pentax K-70 - PentaxForums.com

If as Christian Rock suggested, the DA 18-55 lens is set to f22 in AV-Mode and a photo in good daylight is taken, it should come out well!

One has to go step by step and the instructions also show very clearly, how to check the solenoid in LiveView mode!

What just puzzles me is that the K70 was used once, then no use for 6 month and all the sudden those problems.
Normally that is the invitation for the solenoid to remain stuck.

Normally but other signs could well point into a blocked mirror problem but it is very strange:

Shipping from Japan: I have often ordered from Japanese dealers and never ever experienced a problem.

They pack very well, make a real effort there. Quite the opposite to many sellers in Europe who don't think (nor act) even if reminded.

Amazon market-place is no warranty for good packing!

And yet..... @mmcc73: Carefully and with precision apply those tests and then let us know again. No loss in doing so!
11-12-2020, 05:00 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
And yet..... @mmcc73: Carefully and with precision apply those tests and then let us know again. No loss in doing so!
The mirror doesn't flip up, the shutter doesn't open. Photos at f22 are just as black as at any other stop.

Now, I had gone ahead an ordered a solenoid. I am declaring the camera a lost cause. It isn't going to hurt anything to try to new solenoid to see what happens.

11-12-2020, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

The mirror doesn't flip up, the shutter doesn't open. Photos at f22 are just as black as at any other stop.

Now, I had gone ahead an ordered a solenoid. I am declaring the camera a lost cause. It isn't going to hurt anything to try to new solenoid to see what happens.
I would be surprised if it fixes it but I do hope that is the case!

In my K-S1 I now have a solenoid that is completely dead, but pictures at f22 come out perfect. And the mirror still works, so a dead solenoid doesn't keep the mirror from doing its job, apparently.

Good luck and I hope you find a way to fix it!
11-12-2020, 09:39 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I would be surprised if it fixes it but I do hope that is the case!
You and me both In either case, I'll report back what happens.
11-12-2020, 11:10 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Then it's not the solenoid and swapping it is a waste.
Better leave the K70 as it is, offer it with a clear description on ebay and go ahead as you planned it and buy a new one.
Then one day maybe you might need the solenoid and then you have it already.

But can you upload a close-up photo showing the K-mount, mirror and particular the "mirror-up mechanism" on the left side?
11-12-2020, 12:10 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Then it's not the solenoid and swapping it is a waste.
Better leave the K70 as it is, offer it with a clear description on ebay and go ahead as you planned it and buy a new one.
Then one day maybe you might need the solenoid and then you have it already.

But can you upload a close-up photo showing the K-mount, mirror and particular the "mirror-up mechanism" on the left side?
I'm happy to provide more photos if these are capturing what you wanted to see.

Clark

---------- Post added 11-12-20 at 12:25 PM ----------

I'm happy to provide more photos if these are capturing what you wanted to see.

Clark
I'm happy to provide more photos if these are not capturing what you wanted to see. Oops.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8 Plus  Photo 
11-12-2020, 06:04 PM   #27

Just out of curiosity, you said before the the mirror stays down in sensor cleaning mode. If you lift the mirror is the shutter open?
11-12-2020, 06:09 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Just out of curiosity, you said before the the mirror stays down in sensor cleaning mode. If you lift the mirror is the shutter open?
Negative - it is closed.
11-13-2020, 01:17 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The aperture lever (red arrow) is stuck, which means the mirror mechanism cannot work.
It should be further down.
This can happen when one fires series photos to release the solenoid to release it.

I remember I once had that, somehow I got it lose, but I cannot remember how exaclty.
But I think when I exchanged the solenoid and played with the lever on which the plunger of the solenoid is sitting, it got free.
So swapping the solenoid might well be the solution!

But I found
Search for "pentax aperture lever stuck"
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8 Plus  Photo 

Last edited by photogem; 11-13-2020 at 01:38 AM. Reason: link added
11-13-2020, 01:46 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

Sorry to hear about your problem. Perhaps now is the time to enter this month's competition to win a K-70! If you haven't already done so...
Pentax K-70 Giveaway - November - Enter here once per day! - PentaxForums.com