Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-10-2020, 08:23 AM   #1

Mirror not flipping up - symptom of aperture solenoid problem?

Hi All -

The mirror in my K-70 is not flipping up when I attempt to take a photo. As such, all of the photos are completely black and live view is completely black.

Additionally, the aperture is not being opened between photos - I can see through the optical viewfinder, but it is very dark. If I put on an old manual focus lens where I can manually open the aperture, I can see through the optical viewfinder fine.

When I flip between photo display mode and photo capture mode, I hear a motor whir briefly.

I've tried resetting the settings, different lenses, and pulling the battery.

Could this be a symptom of a bad aperture solenoid, or is this something else?

Thanks!

11-10-2020, 08:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've not had this problem, but if you check your menu there is a Mirror lockup menu. Even though you've reset settings, check there to make sure.
11-10-2020, 08:44 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WhatsMyNameAD67 Quote
I've not had this problem, but if you check your menu there is a Mirror lockup menu. Even though you've reset settings, check there to make sure.
Well, it isn't locked up - it is locked down. I don't imagine there is a setting for that That said, I will double check.
11-10-2020, 08:48 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mmcc73 Quote
Hi All -

The mirror in my K-70 is not flipping up when I attempt to take a photo. As such, all of the photos are completely black and live view is completely black.

Additionally, the aperture is not being opened between photos - I can see through the optical viewfinder, but it is very dark. If I put on an old manual focus lens where I can manually open the aperture, I can see through the optical viewfinder fine.

When I flip between photo display mode and photo capture mode, I hear a motor whir briefly.

I've tried resetting the settings, different lenses, and pulling the battery.

Thanks!
You may want to read this thread.

Dark exposure problems on K-30 or K-50? Discussion Thread - PentaxForums.com

11-10-2020, 09:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pick a lens that has an f22 setting - my DA 35 2.4 was used by me to do this test on my K-S1 to determine that I had the solenoid problem. The 18-55 kit lens, I believe, when in the 18mm focal length, also goes to f22. Not sure about the other zooms. Put the K-70 on Av and set the Aperture to f22 via the wheel that controls the aperture. Then take a picture of something bright such as the sky. If it takes the picture normally, then switch to f2.4 and if it's dark, then you have a solenoid problem.
If your picture at f22 is dark, then you have a shutter or mirror issue.
Explanation: the solenoid issue makes all pictures to be taken at f22 because the solenoid can't keep a wider aperture due to component failure. So if you are metering for f22 it will set an ISO and shutter speed that matches it, and the picture should come out correct even with the solenoid failing.
11-10-2020, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Pick a lens that has an f22 setting - my DA 35 2.4 was used by me to do this test on my K-S1 to determine that I had the solenoid problem. The 18-55 kit lens, I believe, when in the 18mm focal length, also goes to f22. Not sure about the other zooms. Put the K-70 on Av and set the Aperture to f22 via the wheel that controls the aperture. Then take a picture of something bright such as the sky. If it takes the picture normally, then switch to f2.4 and if it's dark, then you have a solenoid problem.
If your picture at f22 is dark, then you have a shutter or mirror issue.
Explanation: the solenoid issue makes all pictures to be taken at f22 because the solenoid can't keep a wider aperture due to component failure. So if you are metering for f22 it will set an ISO and shutter speed that matches it, and the picture should come out correct even with the solenoid failing.
In the thread SharkyCA referred me to, there is a line that says...

"It might be noted that the controller issue may also present as failure of the lens to stop down and may also affect mirror function."

All of my photos are completely black because the mirror doesn't flip out of the way - hence no light is getting through to the sensor regardless of metering and aperture. However, the aperture is also not being opened up when looking through the optical viewfinder.

I ordered a replacement solenoid (a white one) - I'll see if that has any impact on the problem.
11-10-2020, 10:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In the thread SharkyCA referred me to, there is a line that says...

"It might be noted that the controller issue may also present as failure of the lens to stop down and may also affect mirror function."

All of my photos are completely black because the mirror doesn't flip out of the way - hence no light is getting through to the sensor regardless of metering and aperture. However, the aperture is also not being opened up when looking through the optical viewfinder.

I ordered a replacement solenoid (a white one) - I'll see if that has any impact on the problem.
Hope you find a solution. How much does it cost?

11-10-2020, 10:34 AM   #8

Does the mirror go up in the sensor cleaning mode? The sensor cleaning mode is independent of the aperture solenoid. If it doesn't then you probably have a problem elsewhere. Is the camera still under warranty? Replacing the solenoid will void the warranty so if that doesn't fix the problem you'll have to pay for repairs if Precision will even touch it after a DIY repair. Plus they will probably replace the diaphragm control block and you may not get your white solenoid back.
11-10-2020, 12:34 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mixalis_kalymnos1611 Quote
Hope you find a solution. How much does it cost?
The part was $45 on eBay.

---------- Post added 11-10-20 at 12:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Does the mirror go up in the sensor cleaning mode? The sensor cleaning mode is independent of the aperture solenoid. If it doesn't then you probably have a problem elsewhere. Is the camera still under warranty? Replacing the solenoid will void the warranty so if that doesn't fix the problem you'll have to pay for repairs if Precision will even touch it after a DIY repair. Plus they will probably replace the diaphragm control block and you may not get your white solenoid back.
Thanks for that suggestion. I just tried and the mirror does NOT flip up when in sensor cleaning mode.

Any suggestions for what to try next? Is the mirror catch something I can try to manipulate manually?
11-10-2020, 12:59 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
You may want to read this thread.
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Guys! The OP has a mirror failure!

It is something else.

Thanks for that suggestion. I just tried and the mirror does NOT flip up when in sensor cleaning mode.
It sounds like you have a mirror flipping up problem (sorry, could not resist). The aperture actuation and mirror mechanisms are related on your camera, but failure of the solenoid on the aperture control block does not affect mirror movement. That said, a failure of mirror control may result in failed aperture control due to shared mechanical parts. As noted above, if the camera is still under warranty, now is the time to use it. If not, a professional repair is your best option. Note that even if you use a shop local to you, they will likely send your camera to a Pentax-authorized service center.

BTW...Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-10-2020 at 01:12 PM.
11-10-2020, 01:10 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Guys! The OP has a mirror failure!

It is something else.

It sounds like you have a mirror flipping up problem (sorry, could not resist). The aperture actuation and mirror mechanisms are related on your camera, but failure of the solenoid on the aperture control block does not affect mirror movement. That said, a failure of mirror control may result in failed aperture control due to shared mechanical parts. As noted above, if the camera is still under warranty, now is the time to use it. If not, a professional repair is your best option. Note that even if you use a shop local to you, they will likely send your camera to a Pentax-authorized service center.

Steve
Sadly I do not have a warranty - bought it used from Japan off of eBay. I haven't had problems with my Pentax cameras in the past, so I thought I'd give it a go. It is actually my wife's camera - she used it once and it worked fine about 6 months ago, and now it doesn't.

For what it is worth... I took the lens off, put the camera in manual, set the shutter speed to something slow, and lifted up the mirror with a small tool. When pushing the shutter release, I hear a couple of motors whir, but the shutter doesn't seem to open. So I have a mirror flipping a a shutter firing problem.
11-10-2020, 02:00 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

So I have a mirror flipping a a shutter firing problem.
Shutter won't fire until the mirror is up, so yes.

Steve
11-10-2020, 02:02 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Shutter won't fire until the mirror is up, so yes.

Steve
And yet it saves a black image to the SD card. Erg.
11-10-2020, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This does sound more like a major malfunction of the mirror than an aperture solenoid problem. Probably require a profession repair job.
11-10-2020, 06:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Well, it isn't locked up - it is locked down. I don't imagine there is a setting for that That said, I will double check.
I misread your comment.. I. Don’t believe there is a setting for that either.