Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-18-2020, 01:54 PM   #1

Is Auto Shut Off a thing?

Hey everyone!

So funny/scary thing happened a little earlier. It’s snowing outside and there’s this massive tree right next to my balcony. The snow started to catch on the branches and I decided to snap a few shots from just inside my place, with the balcony door open. At the most, it’s about minus 7 celsius, with a nice windchill.

As I was framing the shot and letting the autofocus do it’s thing, my K-70 just powered off. The switch was still on the “on” position. Switching it off and back on did nothing. I shut my balcony door and pulled the battery out of the camera. Gave it a few seconds and put the battery back in and was able to power up the camera.

Has anything like this happened to anyone before? Is shutting down in poor weather a safety mechanism of sorts built in? Should I start saving my loonies and twoonies up for that new K3?

It’s the first time I have this happen to me and I’m a little worried.

11-18-2020, 02:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had something similar with my K-5 a few years ago. It could be as simple as a bad battery in cold weather, since it worked normally once it was in a warmer environment.
11-18-2020, 02:02 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by sinzen Quote
Hey everyone!

So funny/scary thing happened a little earlier. It’s snowing outside and there’s this massive tree right next to my balcony. The snow started to catch on the branches and I decided to snap a few shots from just inside my place, with the balcony door open. At the most, it’s about minus 7 celsius, with a nice windchill.

As I was framing the shot and letting the autofocus do it’s thing, my K-70 just powered off. The switch was still on the “on” position. Switching it off and back on did nothing. I shut my balcony door and pulled the battery out of the camera. Gave it a few seconds and put the battery back in and was able to power up the camera.

Has anything like this happened to anyone before? Is shutting down in poor weather a safety mechanism of sorts built in? Should I start saving my loonies and twoonies up for that new K3?

It’s the first time I have this happen to me and I’m a little worried.
This thread should shed some light on this phenomenon. Nothing to worry about, especially if it's in cold weather. Getting a new battery or charging earlier than normal may help.

K-1 locked up - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-18-2020, 02:04 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I had something similar with my K-5 a few years ago. It could be as simple as a bad battery in cold weather, since it worked normally once it was in a warmer environment.
My thinking as well. Li-ion batteries don't like being cold, and you loose capacity just from the temperature drop

11-18-2020, 02:14 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses!

I’m gonna say it’s the cold weather to blame, after reading thru that K-1 thread, and now that I’m all calm again. lol.

That’s my scare for the day!
11-18-2020, 02:22 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

-7C isn't bad but it will decrease a battery's ability to power a device especially if it isn't fully charged or was questionable to begin with. I've shot in much colder and always go out with a bunch of fully charged batteries. When it starts getting down to -30C or -35C I get at most 45 minutes of near continuous use (there is some self heating that happens that keeps them going) but have to change out batteries all the time. I bring 6 spares with me and after warming up in the inner coat pocket for a bit they are back.
11-18-2020, 02:29 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is why I have multiple batteries. They have less capacity in cold environments and with two or three batteries you can keep one warm in your pocket and as one "dies" swap it out for a warm one, putting the cold on in your pocket to warm up!

This type of issue makes me wonder how battery powered cars would fair in cold places (like Alaska and Edmonton).

11-18-2020, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I decided to snap a few shots from just inside my place, with the balcony door open.
If the OP was taking a few snaps from INSIDE with the door open I seriously doubt this has anything to do with the temperature. Go outside, stand there until the camera reaches ambient temp, sure. But not just standing in the open doorway for a few minutes.

I would suspect the battery was close to dead and using the AF it went below safe minimum and the camera shut off. The OP does not say how long the camera worked after this incident or whether they then charged the battery.
11-18-2020, 05:25 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Stepping out into the cold for a few minutes will not affect your battery nor camera, and that's really not even that cold. If anything you might take an eraser to the contacts on your battery and battery compartment. I don't think you need to worry about anything.
11-18-2020, 05:40 PM   #10

Original Poster
The battery had been charged yesterday, so relatively fresh charge.

I’m honestly scratching my head on this. Camera seems fine since flaking out earlier so yeah, no clue.

Last edited by sinzen; 11-18-2020 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Emoji didn’t render properly.
11-18-2020, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m honestly scratching my head on this. Camera seems fine since flaking out earlier so yeah, no clue.
I would put it down to "emp caused by the interaction of road traffic and a passing aircraft". If it happens again, then worry. Otherwise don't stress.

@Ramseybuckeye idea of cleaning the battery contacts with an eraser might have merit.
11-18-2020, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Same thing has happened to me. New battery solved the issue.
11-18-2020, 07:46 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
This is why I have multiple batteries. They have less capacity in cold environments and with two or three batteries you can keep one warm in your pocket and as one "dies" swap it out for a warm one, putting the cold on in your pocket to warm up!

This type of issue makes me wonder how battery powered cars would fair in cold places (like Alaska and Edmonton).
The cars do not do as well as they would in warmer weather of course but the technology and the batteries are improving every few months. At least according to the press releases and some reviews..

---------- Post added 11-18-20 at 09:50 PM ----------

Of course it may have been the battery but I would also not rule out that the circuitry detected some anomaly caused by condensation, going from the relatively humid indoors to the cold outdoors. In my job ( BC,before Covid) we lend data projectors to students and instructors and we warn them against this. A projector in this situation will often shut itself down until the temperatures and humidity have evened out internally. So I imagine it could well be the same with the camera.
11-19-2020, 10:22 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not sure about the K-70, but my K5 has an auto-power-off feature that let's you adjust when the camera will shut off after being idle for some time. Most DSLR cameras have this feature. I have mine set for 5 minutes, but when I first got the camera the default was 1 minute.
11-19-2020, 03:50 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A tiny change in voltage can shut a camera off. If the battery is not well charged and the battery voltage drops another 1/10 of a volt because of the low temperature the camera will shut off.