Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
06-18-2021, 05:50 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Does Astrotracer work in B mode on a K-70? With a K-50 the camera must be in B mode but Astrotracer must also be selected. You can toggle between standard B mode and Astrotracer. I have taken a sky shot in Astrotracer mode and a foreground shot in B mode to blend together for a sharp foreground and sharp stars. How would you do that if Astrotracer worked in B mode?
Short answer is by turning off the Astrotracer function in the menu.

Interesting.....I went back and compared the K-3 and yes, you cannot do a timed exposure with the Astrotracer function turned off in the menu - similar to K-50 from what you are saying. With the Kp you can. K-70?????

Main point was that the function dial needs to be on 'B' or a User mode based on 'B' to work. Then there are 2 things you can toggle when the dial is in B and the OGPS-1 is turned on.
1. Toggle between astrotracer on and off (using menus)

2. Toggle between a timed astrotracer exposure and a traditional B exposure with astrotracer where the duration is manually controlled (use menu or green button push to toggle)

Seemingly, you can't do 2 if Astrotracer is off for the K-50 and K-3.

Not sure if I am managing to explain my understanding very well and it appears that there are subtle differences across camera models.

06-18-2021, 11:46 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Grimmus Quote
Short answer is by turning off the Astrotracer function in the menu.

Interesting.....I went back and compared the K-3 and yes, you cannot do a timed exposure with the Astrotracer function turned off in the menu - similar to K-50 from what you are saying. With the Kp you can. K-70?????

Main point was that the function dial needs to be on 'B' or a User mode based on 'B' to work. Then there are 2 things you can toggle when the dial is in B and the OGPS-1 is turned on.
1. Toggle between astrotracer on and off (using menus)

2. Toggle between a timed astrotracer exposure and a traditional B exposure with astrotracer where the duration is manually controlled (use menu or green button push to toggle)

Seemingly, you can't do 2 if Astrotracer is off for the K-50 and K-3.

Not sure if I am managing to explain my understanding very well and it appears that there are subtle differences across camera models.
Yes the K-50 doesn't allow manually controlled B exposures with Astrotracer. I am not convinced there is any benefit in being able to do so. The only benefit I can think of is the ability to choose less than 10 seconds which is the minimum for timed exposures.

06-19-2021, 12:26 AM   #48

Original Poster
Use of Astrotracer with K-70

Hi there guys

I have been reading the last few threads by Bulbhead,Grimmus and Slartibartfast and have become a little confused. I wrote a thread in August last year about whether the use of Astrotracer was meant to be used in Bulb Mode or Astrophoto Mode (User Mode 3).

Bulbhead wrote recently that Astrophoto Mode should be used, not Manual or Bulb modes. He then says with Astrotracer mode he can't use the interval mode. Does he mean Astrophoto modes because I don't think Astrotracer is a mode, it is just the process of the camera tracking stars using GPS?

I have used the interval mode before without any problems. I guess by interval mode we are talking about the length of exposures. I have not had to use an intervalometer.

Grimmus then says that Astrotracer functions fine in Bulb Mode, not M mode. I have seen this in previous posts as well.

If Astrotracer functions fine in Bulb Mode, and I have done this, what then is the Astrophoto mode (contained in User Mode 3) used for?

Thanks in advance for some help.
06-19-2021, 05:27 PM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by Simmo25 Quote
Hi there guys

I have been reading the last few threads by Bulbhead,Grimmus and Slartibartfast and have become a little confused. I wrote a thread in August last year about whether the use of Astrotracer was meant to be used in Bulb Mode or Astrophoto Mode (User Mode 3).

Bulbhead wrote recently that Astrophoto Mode should be used, not Manual or Bulb modes. He then says with Astrotracer mode he can't use the interval mode. Does he mean Astrophoto modes because I don't think Astrotracer is a mode, it is just the process of the camera tracking stars using GPS?

I have used the interval mode before without any problems. I guess by interval mode we are talking about the length of exposures. I have not had to use an intervalometer.

Grimmus then says that Astrotracer functions fine in Bulb Mode, not M mode. I have seen this in previous posts as well.

If Astrotracer functions fine in Bulb Mode, and I have done this, what then is the Astrophoto mode (contained in User Mode 3) used for?

When you have the Camera as it is- meaning you haven't changed any options, you have 3 user modes you can save your settings. It's marked U1 , U2, U3. By default one is set to "ASTROPHOTO", the other is HD Landscape and there a third one.
You have to use ASTROPHOTO, which is actually a custom BULB mode . You can make one of your own too.
Here is the problem.

Set your camera on ASTROPHOTO and go into the exposing menu. ,

The right button on the cross button menu. There is : Single frame shooting; Self Timer; Remote Control M.UP (Mirror Up: Multi -Exposure.
Now, rotate to the "Manual mode" and look at the same menu and you gonna see "INT" in which you can set the number of exposures at certain intervals at a certain release .

I want that menu in either the "ASTROPHOTO" settings or the "BULB" settings.
Not having a an INT (Interval shooting) option in the exposure settings is an oversight, because the M (Manual) settings only allows a maximum of 30 seconds of exposure, but what if I want 30x 1 minute in Bulb mode? I will need to use an external remote control/intervalometer to do that.
Why not just have the INT- option in the Bulb menu too?

Last edited by Bulbhead; 06-19-2021 at 05:36 PM.
06-19-2021, 11:58 PM   #50
Pentaxian

You mustn't make the mistake of interchanging "Astrophoto" and "Astrotracer", they are two separate functions, each of which can enhance the other.
Astrophoto is a combination of exposure settings, saved as a "User Mode", designed to emphasise the "blackness" of the sky and retain the original colour of the individual stars. As a stand-alone feature it works very well within the limitations imposed by subject movement, so best used with shorter exposures and 'stacking,' unless you want star trails, of course, at which it excels!
Astrotracer is the mechanical shifting of the image sensor to combat star trails, allowing much longer exposures and often eliminating the need for stacking. When used in conjunction with Astrophoto the colours of the final image are enhanced.
So, in a basic scenario with no O-GPS1, put the K-70 into Astrophoto mode, (U3 on the Mode Dial if the defaults haven't been overwritten), focus, frame and fire as usual at whatever aperture and shutter settings have been deemed adequate for the lens in use, repeat until as many frames as are required for a "stack", take the results to your computer and process as required.
However, with an O-GPS1 fitted, the prior calibration is necessary, as is ensuring that Astrotracer is enabled from the Control Panel or within the menus. Then proceed as before, but with the benefit of much longer exposures, so fewer exposures are required. Indeed, for some subjects, especially in a wider-angle shot, a single exposure may be all that is necessary
Enjoy

Last edited by kypfer; 06-20-2021 at 12:13 AM.
06-20-2021, 12:35 AM   #51

Original Poster
Use of Astotracer with K-70

Hi there guys

Thanks for the last couple of replys. I went back to my camera and looked at Bulb Mode vs Astrophoto Mode (User 3) and have since realised that when in Astrophoto Mode and I am by default in Bulb Mode. I have attached some photos to explain what shows on my camera. Have I made the correct assumption?

In regards to interval shooting, I think I may have misunderstood previous replys. I thought that interval shooting was the timer which is what I have used, but only for single shots. I am gathering that when people are talking about the K-70 not doing interval shooting in Astrotracer, they mean that they can't do say 40 shots by 20 seconds for stacking. Is that correct? I have only tried single shots in Astrotracer with times of about 90 second exposure. Looks like I have to become more adventuresome and start doing some stacking of photos!!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-A515F  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-A515F  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-A515F  Photo 
06-20-2021, 01:05 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Hi there guys

Thanks for the last couple of replys. I went back to my camera and looked at Bulb Mode vs Astrophoto Mode (User 3) and have since realised that when in Astrophoto Mode and I am by default in Bulb Mode. I have attached some photos to explain what shows on my camera. Have I made the correct assumption?

In regards to interval shooting, I think I may have misunderstood previous replys. I thought that interval shooting was the timer which is what I have used, but only for single shots. I am gathering that when people are talking about the K-70 not doing interval shooting in Astrotracer, they mean that they can't do say 40 shots by 20 seconds for stacking. Is that correct? I have only tried single shots in Astrotracer with times of about 90 second exposure. Looks like I have to become more adventuresome and start doing some stacking of photos!!
If I remember correctly, the Interval Timer doesn't work in Bulb Mode, in Astrophoto or otherwise, so you need to be sat alongside the camera, cable release in hand, to make second and subsequent shots. An external interval timer, plugged into the cable release socket, would probably work, but I've not tried it. Neither have I tried wi-fi control, but there'd be a battery consumption issue with this, if not mains powered.
Someone with more experience at "stacking" may be able to help further, but as an aside, notice the "Green Button" icon in your images. By pressing the Green Button in this state you can change the maximum timed exposure from whatever you set it to, up to a maximum of 20 minutes, to Bulb mode, where you control the opening and closing of the shutter (maybe good for catching meteors or lightning!), again to a maximum of 20 minutes. Do remember, with these longer exposures, if you've got Noise Reduction enabled, there'll be a similar time used by the camera to achieve the noise reduction as the exposure itself, so, for a 1 minute exposure, for example, there'll be a subsequent 1 minute period during which the camera will be unavailable for another exposure. Not a major issue if only making single exposures, but if stacking you'll probably want to disable the Noise Reduction features and make the usual dark frames for post processing seperately.

Last edited by kypfer; 06-20-2021 at 01:11 AM.
06-20-2021, 03:03 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bulbhead Quote
I want that menu in either the "ASTROPHOTO" settings or the "BULB" settings.
Not having a an INT (Interval shooting) option in the exposure settings is an oversight, because the M (Manual) settings only allows a maximum of 30 seconds of exposure, but what if I want 30x 1 minute in Bulb mode? I will need to use an external remote control/intervalometer to do that.
Why not just have the INT- option in the Bulb menu too?
From discussion on another thread, the Kp is different to the K-1 (for example) and can do timed B exposures with interval shooting. I didn't realise this was something special but it seems not to be consistent across models. This does not work with Astrotracer ON though and works whether the OGPS-1 is mounted or not. If you you want to do star trails, you can select B mode, toggle the green button for timed exposures, set up to 20 minutes each exposure and set interval shooting - this is perfect set and forget for star trails.
06-20-2021, 03:37 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
If I remember correctly, the Interval Timer doesn't work in Bulb Mode, in Astrophoto or otherwise, so you need to be sat alongside the camera, cable release in hand, to make second and subsequent shots.
Interestingly, with the Kp, you can set up for stacking in B timed exposure mode with the interval shooting drive mode but NOT when using Astrotracer (useful for star trails). If you want to stack Astrotracer shots - yes, it is sit by and start tripping the shutter for each exposure as you say. I would assume this is possible on the K-70 since they seem to share a lot of functionality? Someone with a K-70 might check and report back? Not available on K-1 II according to others on another thread.

I typically use non-Astrotracer stacking for nightscapes with foreground - set to M mode, select shutter speed for lens focal length (rarely over 20 seconds), set aperture, interval shooting to reel off 20 to 30 shots, NR off, minimum gap between exposures, click once and relax, stack later in Sequator (freeze foreground).

I have stacked astrotracer nightscapes but it is back to click for each exposure - and dealing with the smeared foreground in post. I have started using astrotracer when pointing at the night sky only - and then use the IR remote to trigger each B mode timed exposure. With longer lenses you have to adjust the lens every 10 exposures or so anyway as the stars fair motor across the field of view.
07-13-2021, 01:51 PM   #55

Photos: Gallery
This is an interesting discussion, I am a new owner of a K-70 and want to try it for astrophotography soon, but will have to purchase the GPS add on first.

Until I get that I will try some 30 second exposures with a couple of lenses I have to compare them to ones I have taken with my K-S2 & K10D

I'd also like to do some starlapse videos, where I combine (not stack) multiple 30 second exposures taken over hours to make a short movie, but unless I read wrong in this thread, it does not sound like the built in intervalometer will do this task(?)

I typically use cheap Canon P&S cameras with CHDK firmware to do this, my GoPro7 or Insta360 One R, but am wanting to try one with the K-70. If I could do one with 1 or 1.5 minute exposures that'd be great, but it sounds like a 3rd party intervalometer would be needed in any case.
07-18-2021, 04:48 PM   #56
Forum Member

nice shot
07-19-2021, 04:43 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen_S Quote
This is an interesting discussion, I am a new owner of a K-70 and want to try it for astrophotography soon, but will have to purchase the GPS add on first.

Until I get that I will try some 30 second exposures with a couple of lenses I have to compare them to ones I have taken with my K-S2 & K10D

I'd also like to do some starlapse videos, where I combine (not stack) multiple 30 second exposures taken over hours to make a short movie, but unless I read wrong in this thread, it does not sound like the built in intervalometer will do this task(?)
Pretty sure I have seen a Ricoh video that suggests the K-70 built-in intervalometer will do 2000 shots of 30 second exposures so I think you'll be OK for the video requirement.

It would be helpful to some K-70 owners if you could confirm whether the K-70 does timed B exposures longer than 30 seconds (without the astrotracer) and then interval shooting is available (as is possible on the Kp but not the K-1 seemingly).
07-20-2021, 12:39 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Pretty sure I have seen a Ricoh video that suggests the K-70 built-in intervalometer will do 2000 shots of 30 second exposures so I think you'll be OK for the video requirement.

It would be helpful to some K-70 owners if you could confirm whether the K-70 does timed B exposures longer than 30 seconds (without the astrotracer) and then interval shooting is available (as is possible on the Kp but not the K-1 seemingly).
On the K-70, the Intervalometer is not available in Bulb mode.
Be aware, on any camera, of the Noise Reduction interval between shots which can leave irritating gaps in a star trail picture.
You may need to make a test run to ascertain the degree of gap you can live with, also the level of noise you will be happy with if you turn off the Noise Reduction feature(s).
A wide aperture lens (at least f/2.8, f/2 or better recommended) can be useful here to keep the ISO level down. The lens doesn't need to be the latest super-coated wizz-bang special, many older manual focus (and manual aperture) lenses will work well in this application.
The levels of light pollution will often be the limiting factor, anyway, so all these things need to be considered in conjunction.
Enabling the "Astrophoto" feature on the K-70 (not to be confused with the AstroTracer function) will help to control background black levels whilst enhancing the actual colours of the stars.

Last edited by kypfer; 07-20-2021 at 12:54 AM.
07-20-2021, 04:41 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
On the K-70, the Intervalometer is not available in Bulb mode.
Sorry @kypfer, but just to be sure, to be sure as they say.....that we are on the same page.....

When you set the mode dial on B, then press the green button, this doesn't put the shutter into a timed mode with 10 second intervals (from 10 seconds to 20 minutes)? Part 2 being only relevant if the preceding is successful, interval shooting is/is not available?

Sorry to be persistent but I am gobsmacked that the Kp seems to be the only Pentax with this very useful functionaility!
07-20-2021, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #60
Pentaxian

Sorry @kypfer, but just to be sure, to be sure as they say.....that we are on the same page.....

When you set the mode dial on B, then press the green button, this doesn't put the shutter into a timed mode with 10 second intervals (from 10 seconds to 20 minutes)? Part 2 being only relevant if the preceding is successful, interval shooting is/is not available?

Sorry to be persistent but I am gobsmacked that the Kp seems to be the only Pentax with this very useful functionaility!
Love being on the same page … makes life so much easier

To confirm, with K-70 in hand … Interval option is NOT available in Bulb Mode for either "Green Button" option.
With the KP in hand … Interval option is available in Bulb Mode when "Green Button" is set OFF (exposure time can be set), when 'fully' in Bulb Mode, "Green Button" ON, the Interval option is greyed out.

Not sure if fitting the O-GPS1 might change things assuming the camera is also set into AstroTracer … I don't think so, but there've been firmware updates since I last "played astro", so things may have changed. I could check, if required, but I'll have to charge a battery for the O-GPS1 first

In the meantime "the Kp seems to be the only Pentax with this very useful functionaility" is not quite the case, the K-3iii does it as well