Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2021, 08:22 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Peak Focusing in LV

Hi everyone,

I'm still learning this camera, as i just purchased it a few weeks ago. I'm still trying to figure out if when using liveview, and then hitting the "OK" button to zoom in on an area to focus, can you get the focus to stay on that spot (while in AF). Seems like once you go back to the regular view and hit the button to take the photo, the camera re-focusses. Maybe this can only be done in Manual Focus?

TIA!

01-11-2021, 09:18 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 87Duckfan Quote
Hi everyone,

I'm still learning this camera, as i just purchased it a few weeks ago. I'm still trying to figure out if when using liveview, and then hitting the "OK" button to zoom in on an area to focus, can you get the focus to stay on that spot (while in AF). Seems like once you go back to the regular view and hit the button to take the photo, the camera re-focusses. Maybe this can only be done in Manual Focus?

TIA!
If you are using shutter release button to autofocus, once you have taken your finger off the half press, it will refocus when you press it again. That's one of the reasons so many people use back button focusing. I don't use the zoom magnification with autofocus, that's normally a tool for manual focus.

So if you set your camera up for back button focusing, your shutter button won't have to be dual purpose and it won't refocus when you don't want it to.

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 01-11-2021 at 09:23 PM.
01-11-2021, 09:31 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
If you are using shutter release button to autofocus, once you have taken your finger off the half press, it will refocus when you press it again. That's one of the reasons so many people use back button focusing. I don't use the zoom magnification with autofocus, that's normally a tool for manual focus.

So if you set your camera up for back button focusing, your shutter button won't have to be dual purpose and it won't refocus when you don't want it to.
For some reason, when I try back button focusing, and then hit the shutter button, it focusses again. Maybe I have a setting wrong?

Also, can't seem to zoom in to an area to focus. I can move the focus square to put it where I want, but then can't figure out how to zoom in more.
01-11-2021, 10:07 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

See page 107 of the K70 manual. You need to set AF2 to disable shutter button AF. (Camera 5 menu AF/AE-L button)

01-11-2021, 11:00 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canít you use the AF/AE-L button to lock focus also?
01-12-2021, 02:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

You can set the back button to focus and at the same time the shutter button wonít. I havenít seen a lock option though. I generally prefer to lock the exposure while keeping the focus on the shutter button. I use peaking when in manual focus.

Last edited by Michail_P; 01-12-2021 at 02:37 AM.
01-12-2021, 07:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

You can also try back button manual focus, so that when you hold down the AF button you switch to manual focus.
That is how I usually have my cameras set up as I primarily use AF-S autofocus.

IMO back button AF is mostly an advantage if always using AF-C.
01-12-2021, 08:53 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
You can also try back button manual focus, so that when you hold down the AF button you switch to manual focus.
That is how I usually have my cameras set up as I primarily use AF-S autofocus.

IMO back button AF is mostly an advantage if always using AF-C.
Ok, I figured out how to use back button AF, and not have the main shutter button re-focus. However, I still have not figured out how to zoom in on a specific spot on LV, use AF to focus, then back out and hit shutter button to take photo. Maybe this can only be accomplished in Manual focus?

01-12-2021, 03:02 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Maybe this can only be accomplished in Manual focus?
Yes I guess. If you think about it, fine focus probably only makes sense that way.
01-12-2021, 03:42 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
Yes I guess. If you think about it, fine focus probably only makes sense that way.
The only reason I ask, is that I have seen a YT channel where the photographer uses a Nikon D7200, and he can zoom in, use auto focus, then back out and take the photo.

Would be nice if the K70 can do this also...
01-13-2021, 02:35 AM   #11

Ok, I figured out how to use back button AF, and not have the main shutter button re-focus. However, I still have not figured out how to zoom in on a specific spot on LV, use AF to focus, then back out and hit shutter button to take photo. Maybe this can only be accomplished in Manual focus?

You must be in Select AF point mode, then move white square to where you want to focus. Don't know about K-70, but on K-3II it doesn't cover whole screen.
5 Days Ago   #12

Original Poster
So, can anyone confirm if this can be done on the K70:

Using LV,
Zoom in on spot in scene using spot focus/Select AF point. Then hit backbutton to focus or re-focus the image? This is when, for me atleast, the camera backs out of the "zoom", and then I can re-focus. But again, I was hoping to AF while zoomed in. I realize I can Manual Focus while zoomed in. Maybe I have a setting incorrect?

Hopefully this makes sense...
4 Days Ago   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

So, can anyone confirm if this can be done on the K70:

Using LV,
Zoom in on spot in scene using spot focus/Select AF point. Then hit backbutton to focus or re-focus the image? This is when, for me atleast, the camera backs out of the "zoom", and then I can re-focus. But again, I was hoping to AF while zoomed in. I realize I can Manual Focus while zoomed in. Maybe I have a setting incorrect?

Hopefully this makes sense...
Just for your info, I to use a K-70 and have found Yvonne's e book a great source of information!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/donations/?ebooks=1&loginrequired=1#sub18
Attached Images

4 Days Ago   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for the info, however not sure that answers my question. It would be great if someone can confirm this can be done. I wonder if the KP can do it?