Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-19-2021, 06:21 PM   #1
Closed Account

A couple questions about using the k-70

I just transitioned from the k-r to the k-70. Experiencing a learning curve here.

Questions.

1) I prefer to use the AF-AEL button to cause an automatic lens to focus, which I now have set. However, I don't want the shutter release button to also cause auto focus when pressed half way down. I have AF/AE-L Button set to AF2, but the shutter release button is still causing auto focus also. ?

2) On my k-r, I had to select to allow the use of an aperture ring, in the menus, to use manual lenses. Do I need to tell this camera that too? If so, where in the menus?

3) On the k-r, I had to program the green button in the menu (to Tv shift I believe). Do I need to program green button in this camera too?

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 02-19-2021 at 06:45 PM.
02-19-2021, 06:56 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I just transitioned from the k-r to the k-70. Experiencing a learning curve here.

Questions.

1) I prefer to use the AF-AEL button to cause an automatic lens to focus, which I now have set. However, I don't want the shutter release button to also cause auto focus when pressed half way down. How do I set it as so please.

2) On my k-r, I had to select to allow the use of an aperture ring, in the menus, to use manual lenses. Do I need to tell this camera that too? If so, where in the menus?

3) On the k-r, I had to program the green button in the menu (to Tv shift I believe). Do I need to program green button in this camera too?
1--go to wrench menus #1. Subitem 2 there is "Date adjustment. Access it and there is a 12/24 adjustment in the same line but after the m-d-y format setting.

2--don't know for sure but I think what you are looking for is the C menu, screen #4 subitem #24.

3--the green button settings are shown in the still camera settings, screen 5, "Button Customization", subitem "E-Dial Programming". Don't think it is set there so much as described. Never fiddled at that level.
02-19-2021, 07:10 PM   #3
Closed Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply. I edited the questions, I'm sure you seen them before my edit.

Thanks for help with date/time.

If the green button is currently set to determine the exposure with manual lens, then I'll leave that alone. ? I think what I'm needing green button to do is mainly set shutter speed, as I'll be selecting the aperture manually on the lens -Tv shift needed?

AF/AE-L Button is set to AF2. I think in "auto" mode it still has the shutter release button will autofocus - probably have to be in P mode or other mode to just have af/ae-l button to autofocus, eh?

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 02-19-2021 at 07:24 PM.
02-19-2021, 07:33 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In "camera" 5- button customization AF/AE-L. When AF2 is enabled AF with shutter release is disabled.

02-19-2021, 07:34 PM   #5
Dan
Pentaxian

Questions.

1) I prefer to use the AF-AEL button to cause an automatic lens to focus, which I now have set. However, I don't want the shutter release button to also cause auto focus when pressed half way down. I have AF/AE-L Button set to AF2, but the shutter release button is still causing auto focus also. ?
This is my preference as well. To set it up the way want you need to do the following:
- Go to the menu page Camera 5
- select "Button Customization" from the menu
- select "AF/AE-L Button"
- set it to "AF2 Enable AF2"
This will disable AF with the shutter release button so AF is performed ONLY with the AF/AE-L button.

To enable the use of the aperture ring do the following:
- Go to the menu page C4 (all the way to the right):
- select "Using Aperture Ring"
- set it to "2 (Enable)"
This will enable the use of manual aperture ring.

Yes, you should program the green button and set it to Tv Shift. Do that as follows:
- select "E-Dial Programming"
You can customize the E-dial for each exposure mode (Sv, Tv, M, etc)
Note that there are 2 pages of modes; M is on page 2
- to get the preferred settings for M-mode green button, choose the following:
... green-button-TvSHIFT
With this setting, pressing the green button will cause the camera to set the appropriate shutter speed for the aperture you have chosen.

These three things you listed are the first three things that I set when I get a new camera. :-)

I hope this helps,

Dan

---------- Post added 02-19-21 at 06:42 PM ----------

AF/AE-L Button is set to AF2. I think in "auto" mode it still has the shutter release button will autofocus - probably have to be in P mode or other mode to just have af/ae-l button to autofocus, eh?
Yes, the problem is likely that you set it to AF2 for one mode, but not for all of the modes. This is a common problem. To allow for the most customization possible, Pentax lets you use different AF settings in different modes. The downside is that it takes a bit longer to set up all of the modes the way you like.

Dan

Last edited by Dan; 02-19-2021 at 07:43 PM.
02-19-2021, 07:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

I don't think the mode should make a difference. I don't have a K-70 but it should be similar in any current Pentax camera. When you go into that menu does it also show Cancel Autofocus under AF2 Enable AF2?
02-19-2021, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #7
Dan
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I don't think the mode should make a difference. I don't have a K-70 but it should be similar in any current Pentax camera. When you go into that menu does it also show Cancel Autofocus under AF2 Enable AF2?
Actually the mode DOES make a difference with the K-70. (I have two of them.) I had exactly the same problem when I first set a K-70 to AF2. It worked "correctly" in the mode where I set it to AF2, but the behavior reverted in other modes. I had to change it in other modes as well, although I seem to recall that some of the more automatic modes were "bundled together" and changing it in one changed it in some others. Of course none of this is explained in the manual. I appreciate the added layer of customization, but it would be nice if it were better documented.

02-19-2021, 08:10 PM   #8
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Quote

Yes, you should program the green button and set it to Tv Shift. Do that as follows:
- select "E-Dial Programming"
You can customize the E-dial for each exposure mode (Sv, Tv, M, etc)
Note that there are 2 pages of modes; M is on page 2
- to get the preferred settings for M-mode green button, choose the following:
... green-button-TvSHIFT
With this setting, pressing the green button will cause the camera to set the appropriate shutter speed for the aperture you have chosen.

Dan
I spoke too soon. When I go to button customization, then go to E-Dial Programming, I'm getting "E-Dial Programming" in menu 1 and menu 2. I'm not seeing "green-buttonTvSHIFT" yet.

Perhaps I go to menu 2, then go down to 2nd option which is "M" and make sure the green button icon says "TvSHIFT" ? (even though title of screen is still E-Dial Programming).

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 02-19-2021 at 08:21 PM.
02-19-2021, 09:38 PM   #9
Dan
Pentaxian

I spoke too soon. When I go to button customization, then go to E-Dial Programming, I'm getting "E-Dial Programming" in menu 1 and menu 2. I'm not seeing "green-buttonTvSHIFT" yet.

Perhaps I go to menu 2, then go down to 2nd option which is "M" and make sure the green button icon says "TvSHIFT" ? (even though title of screen is still E-Dial Programming).
Yes, that's right. When you are in E-Dial Programming there is a row for each mode, spread out over two pages. For each row (mode) you can set the front dial, the rear dial, and the green button. Four modes are on page 1, and two modes are on page 2, including mode M. When you are on page 2 look at row M. If it already says TvSHIFT next to the green button icon then there is nothing you need to do. If you want to change it you simply scroll down to the M row and hit OK, which brings up a menu allowing you to change each dial/button.

It's a bit confusing, because "E-Dial Programming" is not just for programming the E-Dials; it's also where you program the green button. A more accurate title for the menu would be "E-Dial and Green Button Programming", but I guess that would be too long. :-)

Dan
02-19-2021, 10:00 PM   #10
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Quote
Yes, that's right. When you are in E-Dial Programming there is a row for each mode, spread out over two pages. For each row (mode) you can set the front dial, the rear dial, and the green button. Four modes are on page 1, and two modes are on page 2, including mode M. When you are on page 2 look at row M. If it already says TvSHIFT next to the green button icon then there is nothing you need to do. If you want to change it you simply scroll down to the M row and hit OK, which brings up a menu allowing you to change each dial/button.

It's a bit confusing, because "E-Dial Programming" is not just for programming the E-Dials; it's also where you program the green button. A more accurate title for the menu would be "E-Dial and Green Button Programming", but I guess that would be too long. :-)

Dan
Thanks so much for your help! Now my camera is set up the way I want it to be. I'm already very impressed with the images coming out of the camera - they don't need nearly the post processing the images that came out of the k-r needed. In fact, they don't need much at all from what I can tell.

Off to bed. Will take a walk and grab some photos with it tomorrow!