Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2021, 03:30 PM   #1
Pentaxian

K-70 external flashes and live view preview of the scene.

I recently started to shoot macro shoots of jewelery with Laowa 100mm and Irix 150mm on my K-70. I use external flash lightning.
My camera settings are (standard example):
- Manual mode

- 1/160 second
- f13
- iso 100
without flashes I get completely "black frame". I use focus stacking, so a lot of live view focusing is needed. And here is my problem. With this camera settings I have "real" live preview of shot so the screen is black - impossible to focus. In order to set proper focus on lens I jump from M mode to TaV mode (as those modes are next to each other on the wheel) then I go back to M mode. I also have K-1 and there I can just put the camera into X mode and I have all manual settings like with M mode but I have a "good" preview of the scene in live view regardless the exposure settings. I wonder if there is an option to do the same on K-70.

02-22-2021, 03:39 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
With this camera settings I have "real" live preview of shot so the screen is black - impossible to focus.
Stay in M mode and switch to using the aperture ring.

Steve
02-22-2021, 03:56 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Stay in M mode and switch to using the aperture ring.

Steve
Thank You for Your answer. Your solution works on Laowa 100mm (except I cannot set f13 on the lens aperture ring. The problem with Irix 150 (this lens has a lot more precise focus ring) stays the same - no aperture ring on the lens.
Any other ideas?
And do You know if the situation is the same on KP (as it lacks X mode on the mode wheel)?
02-22-2021, 05:37 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank You for Your answer. Your solution works on Laowa 100mm (except I cannot set f13 on the lens aperture ring. The problem with Irix 150 (this lens has a lot more precise focus ring) stays the same - no aperture ring on the lens.
Any other ideas?
And do You know if the situation is the same on KP (as it lacks X mode on the mode wheel)?
Other than the aperture ring, TAv, and X-mode hacks, I know of no other tricks. The KP follows the same general rules as your K-70 as far as I know. Using live view to establish focus for the first frame in a stack along using a focus rail with fixed increment for remainder of the stacking may be an option.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-22-2021 at 05:44 PM.
02-22-2021, 06:16 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Stevebrot sounds like a "best" solution. If you are using 1/160 instead of 1/180 you are set to use 1/3 aperture stops and not 1/2. I is nice to know for killing more ambient light in some cases.
02-22-2021, 06:40 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why not change the live view from previewing exposure to not previewing exposure?
02-22-2021, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Why not change the live view from previewing exposure to not previewing exposure?
How is that done?

Added: This topic comes up with some frequency on this site, but the setting to do so remains hidden. OTOH, my memory is that on Nikon products, such is easily disabled.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-22-2021 at 08:48 PM.
02-23-2021, 12:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Stevebrot sounds like a "best" solution. If you are using 1/160 instead of 1/180 you are set to use 1/3 aperture stops and not 1/2. I is nice to know for killing more ambient light in some cases.
I know I am not set to max speed, but ambient is not an issue with 1/160.

02-23-2021, 12:45 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Would like to do that, just don't know how to do that? I think this is the type of function that could be easily implemented via firmware update - so very low cost to implement in all Pentax bodies. If I only had a number or email adress of Wakashiro or Takahashi.
02-23-2021, 02:58 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'am sorry to ask, but I can not reproduce the issue on my K-70. Using the Liveview with my K-70 and a M-Lens gives me a liveview according to the ambient light. Is this an issue of the Laowa/IRIX lenses?
02-23-2021, 05:04 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
I'am sorry to ask, but I can not reproduce the issue on my K-70. Using the Liveview with my K-70 and a M-Lens gives me a liveview according to the ambient light. Is this an issue of the Laowa/IRIX lenses?
It is not the issue of the lenses. It is lack of functionality of the body. In general (except to cases described later) You cannot turn off real exposure preview in live view mode as it is not implemented in camera menu. Real exposure preview in live view mode is turned off on K-1 when u use the X mode or on all bodies when You use lens with aperture ring set to any other position than "A". Lack of this function "cripples" the experience end speed of manual focusing when using Pentax cameras for product photography with external flash lightning. And I think that this functionality could be implemented in cameras with firmware update with almost no cost. Maybe there is somebody on the forum that can reach Ricoh
02-23-2021, 06:34 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
How is that done?

Added: This topic comes up with some frequency on this site, but the setting to do so remains hidden. OTOH, my memory is that on Nikon products, such is easily disabled.

Steve
I must be mixing up my other gear. I thought I remembered this being possible.
02-23-2021, 06:39 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Liveview: Can't Disable Exposure Preview - PentaxForums.com

I have only used the k-3 in this way, not the k-1 or k-70 or KP. The k-3 was often criticized for not representing exposure fully in liveview. I assumed - wrongly - that this was still an option.
02-23-2021, 07:34 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Liveview: Can't Disable Exposure Preview - PentaxForums.com

I have only used the k-3 in this way, not the k-1 or k-70 or KP. The k-3 was often criticized for not representing exposure fully in liveview. I assumed - wrongly - that this was still an option.
Thank You very much for the link with another "solution" - TaV mode with ISO limited to ISO125. This will save me some time! Still is a bit sad Ricoh didn't solve this simple issue as the link thread is 5 years old now - one extra check box in menu is still needed.
02-23-2021, 07:50 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank You very much for the link with another "solution" - TaV mode with ISO limited to ISO125. This will save me some time! Still is a bit sad Ricoh didn't solve this simple issue as the link thread is 5 years old now - one extra check box in menu is still needed.
I agree, it doesn’t come up for me but it could in the future. Glad I could help.