Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2021, 12:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

?#1 k-70 aperture block, which repair service?

Just to be sure i used Method 1 and it determined my K 70 is suffering Aperture Block. Precision and KEH seem to be the most expensive repair I assume they replace the solenoid. Phototronic and PC35 Photolab are less expensive and apparently they "adjust" the solenoid. I would like some guidance, especially from K 70 users who have dealt with this problem. Before you suggest it there is NO WAY I am going to DIY. Advice or other vendors?

02-27-2021, 12:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
Before you suggest it there is NO WAY I am going to DIY.
Think about it. Seriously. There's an excellent manual that guides you through the necessary steps right here Tutorial/Repair Pentax K-70 with aperture-problem: Exchange solenoid - PentaxForums.com

I was able to do this with my K-S2, having never done that kind of thing before. Cost me less than 50 bucks (parts and tools combined) and now my K-S2 will not fail again because of a faulty solenoid.
02-27-2021, 12:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Before you suggest it there is NO WAY I am going to DIY.
I am old and shakey and never opened a camera before. Took me an hour to very slowly and carefully do the job on a K-50 and put it back together. It has worked flawlessly since.
If your K-70 is under warranty then by all means send it to precision, but if not seriously consider the DIY solution using the incredibly detailed instructions available. Doing so insures you will actually get a good solenoid instead of a replacement part that is the same as the one that already failed.
Cost $30 in parts, I already had all needed tools.
02-27-2021, 01:43 PM   #4

If under warranty send it to Precision.

If out of warranty try contacting US Ricoh on the toll free number printed on the warranty card. They covered this repair out of warranty on the K-50 in some instances.

KEH apparently can no longer get parts so they are out. Try Advanced Camera in Oregon. They are an authorized repair service so should be able to get parts.

02-27-2021, 01:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I have some old cameras I no longer use- the K100D and K200D which is in need of repair due to using excessive battery juice, so I wonder if their solenoid would be usable in my K-S2 should it become affected by aperture block failure??
02-27-2021, 05:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I have some old cameras I no longer use- the K100D and K200D which is in need of repair due to using excessive battery juice, so I wonder if their solenoid would be usable in my K-S2 should it become affected by aperture block failure??
I thought I read somewhere here about people using solenoids from film cameras.

I would assume Precision replace the entire aperture block and not just the solenoid since the are the only official Pentax repair facility for the US. KEH cannot get new parts, but they may be able to do a solenoid replacement.
02-27-2021, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I thought I read somewhere here about people using solenoids from film cameras.
The difference is explained in all detail here:
A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY: Development of the solenoid in Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com

and recently a member had problems doing so:
K-30 / K-50 Aperture Block Failue - Repair Solution available - Page 60 - PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I would assume Precision replace the entire aperture block and not just the solenoid since the are the only official Pentax repair facility for the US. KEH cannot get new parts, but they may be able to do a solenoid replacement.
No, presicion exchanges the solenoid only. Since ages.
Exchanging the entire aperture block is useless and takes hours:

To exchange the "diaphragm-control-block" (aperture control block) one has to follow those steps:

Disassembly of main body
- removal bottom cover
- removal top cover (discharge main capacitor, unsolder 5 leads)
- removal front cover
- removal back cover

Now wecome to the real serious stuff:
- removal T100 main p.c. board (unsolder 10 leads)
- removal 0-C000 shake reduction block
- removal 0-A51 tripod plate
- removal T901 flex board (unsolder 10 wires, unsolder 22 lands!)
- removal T750 flash pc-board (unsolder 7 wires, unsolder 11 lands)
- removal A4 r-plate
- removal T700 upper relay flex circuit block (unsolder 17 wires, unsolder 4 lands)
- removal A6 g-shoulder-plate
- removal 0-A101 front housing assembly
- removal A13 battery case assembly and related parts

I have done this once. Never ever again!

As long as a Pentax was covered by warranty and one didn't know that it was only the solenoid, this whole procedure
was done, Ricoh had to pay the official repair places.

But once it was known that the solenoid was the culprit, it was only a swap of the bad green against a new green solenoid
(same applies for the K70...).

KEH can get new solenoids, those green China gremlins flood the market

But maybe one could talk to them and ask them, if one delivers the white solenoid if they would insert it.

But knowing about stories from car-garages: They don't like that, they want to make money buying cheap parts and selling them for
OEM prices. Of course one can understand that they want to use their own parts but I don't accept cheapes short lasting Chinaparts sold for high prices.

@gump:

During warranty, no question, send it in.

No more warranty then only DIY or you know a person who can do it for you!

Filing/Sanding is what PC35 Photolab and Phototronic apply:
See in all detail:
Why you shouldn't file/sand the plunger of the green Chinasolenoid but replace it - PentaxForums.com

and what can happen:
Solenoid problem return plus sound - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by photogem; 02-27-2021 at 09:45 PM.
02-28-2021, 02:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote

No, presicion exchanges the solenoid only. Since ages.
Exchanging the entire aperture block is useless and takes hours:

/URL]
Precision replaced the entire block on my K-50 in May 2017. It was sent in for a broken battery hook and they also did that, I don't know if they tested and saw it was going to fail, or that was just the standard practice to replace them all at that time, regardless of why the camera came in. That was fine with me because it was under warranty.

03-01-2021, 10:24 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just to be sure i used Method 1 and it determined my K 70 is suffering Aperture Block. Precision and KEH seem to be the most expensive repair I assume they replace the solenoid. Phototronic and PC35 Photolab are less expensive and apparently they "adjust" the solenoid. I would like some guidance, especially from K 70 users who have dealt with this problem. Before you suggest it there is NO WAY I am going to DIY. Advice or other vendors?
I had the issue with my k-70 just out of warranty and under 5k shutter count. Sent it to Sun Camera in Canada for the repair, although it was over $250 to get it done, including insured shipping both ways, I am happy with the results (2 years now) Sun replaced the entire control diaphram, there is a picture on photogems posts!
03-01-2021, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
I had the issue with my k-70 just out of warranty and under 5k shutter count. Sent it to Sun Camera in Canada for the repair, although it was over $250 to get it done, including insured shipping both ways, I am happy with the results (2 years now) Sun replaced the entire control diaphram, there is a picture on photogems posts!
Sent my k70 to Precision this morning. Cost was comparable to what you paid. I trust I will also have satisfactory results.
03-01-2021, 06:35 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sent my k70 to Precision this morning. Cost was comparable to what you paid. I trust I will also have satisfactory results.
Although it is unfortunate for this to happen, it could've been any other manufacturer, still love my K-70! Good decision IMHO!